Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I don't think new vapers will lean towards mechs. If the FDA ruins vaping in the US, cigalikes and going back to cigarettes will likely be the two most popular options.

Advanced vapers seem to me looking at and/or using mechs. Even if it is just buying a couple to add to the stockpile.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well, I'm sure GG will fix theirs forever- if you could actually break one, lol.

SuperT used to say that too.
Try using the warranty today.
;)
No mod company on the planet has enough longevity to offer a lifetime warranty and actually honor it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Because of the FDA regulations. They last a "lifetime".

I think the current FDA actions have Helped Mech Mods Popularity. But I think the Vast Majority of people want the ability to set Wattages on a Mod.

So No. I don't think they will become Vastly Popular. Just have a Larger Niche.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
In 6+ years I never could get into mechs. I have one in a drawer incase everything else fails but even then I can build a TI or OKR regulated for a few bucks which doesn't fall under FDA regulations so I'm not sure why I keep it.

I've never had electronics in a mod fail so I don't get the last a lifetime comparison and they generally require more care with cleaning contact points. I personally don't' think the FDA regulations will have an effect, there has been and always will be fans of both.

It may take a little more research but regulated fans will still be able to get their hands on one, they just likely won't be able to source them the same way and they will likely be called something else. Without the name association its just a electronic box.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The idea that you can dial up your preferred vape from 0-200W is an implied fallacy. In practice you must build for your device configuration whether mech or variable. Hone those skills and a mech becomes a Stradivarius in capable hands. No chipped device can touch that any more than a car maker produce the perfect car for all. Your individual taste characteristics and preferences are truly unique and infinitely variable. Learn to rebuild and you will see.

Good luck. :) Vape on.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
The guy that wrote the book on OLED's states that they have a 10 year shelf life.

OLED storage lifetime - Page 1

Organic Light-Emitting Diodes (shelf life highlighted)

Organic Light-Emitting Diodes (OLEDs): Materials, Devices and Applications

I'm selling off at least 1/2 of my regulated mod stockpile.
I'll continue to use my regulated mods as long as they last.
I can set my stockpile at my desired 69W and lock the buttons but once the screens go it's just a matter of time.

2 REO minis/3 RM2s in service here now.
Hadaly & 2 Coppervape BF mech squonkers on the way.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I've never had electronics in a mod fail so I don't get the last a lifetime comparison and they generally require more care with cleaning contact points. I personally don't' think the FDA regulations will have an effect, there has been and always will be fans of both.

Just Me. But I have Less Faith in the Button Actuators lasting on my Regulated Mods than I do the Electrical part of a Circuit Board itself Failing.

Not saying a Board can't Fail. But on the Regulated Mods I have, It seems like the Buttons (or more Precisely - what is Under the Buttons) will wear out the Soonest.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
"I want the mechs!"
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MECHS!!!"

http://i.imgur.com/0jVIGeU.gif

Recent American history shows how effective prohibition is for those determined to partake. I suggest that those that want to vape will vape, and they will do so on what ever devices the black market makes available. Which will be all of them.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
In 6+ years I never could get into mechs. I have one in a drawer incase everything else fails but even then I can build a TI or OKR regulated for a few bucks which doesn't fall under FDA regulations so I'm not sure why I keep it.

It may take a little more research but regulated fans will still be able to get their hands on one, they just likely won't be able to source them the same way and they will likely be called something else. Without the name association its just a electronic box.

I haven't either but i only buy regulated devices with YiHi or DNA chipsets .

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The mech I had/have didn't last long at all. Stupid short thread allowed the nut to get past the threads so once the contacts started going I couldn't service it so it just kept getting worse. Eventually I got more from my regulated mod set at 2.6 volts than from the mech with a full battery! Yeah it was cheap, but still an example.

I might buy a mech to stockpile if the regulations still come down, but overall it's something I'd be more likely to make if you can't buy better.

Reactions: nocigsnomore

budd77

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2016
    IMG_1839.JPG
    I've been vaping for almost 2 years. Last January I was using an rx200. I went into a vape shop to look around. One of the kids working there had a copper Smpl and he let me try it. I've been hooked on mechs ever since. I sold my rx200 and haven't looked back. I love mechs and won't ever use a regulated device again. It's awesome that people have a choice. Whatever keeps people from smoking.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    View attachment 619567 I've been vaping for almost 2 years. Last January I was using an rx200. I went into a vape shop to look around. One of the kids working there had a copper Smpl and he let me try it. I've been hooked on mechs ever since. I sold my rx200 and haven't looked back. I love mechs and won't ever use a regulated device again. It's awesome that people have a choice. Whatever keeps people from smoking.
    My story is similar. I was using a couple of RX200s until a friend that works in a B&M showed me a Chi You clone this spring. I bought it immediately and have been on a maniacal clone and authentic mech buying spree ever since. Sold the RX200s and all of my other regulated devices except for a few. I use a regulated very rarely - just when I go out and want to vape some of my higher nic juice.

I AM buying a Smoke G-Priv for fun as I am getting back into super low builds and love the TFV8 tank, but that will be the only regulated purchase I will make for the forseeable future.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I got into mechs because of regulations. Found a couple builds that work well for me and I can see myself using them exclusively if need be.
    Saw your location.... just curious if you have dealt with Vape Jedi in Regina. Good dudes and easy to deal with. I have bought a few high end mechs off of them.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread