Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot of speculation about the Sony VTC line, who they're truly made by, and the recent partnership with xtar. I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a few of the *button-top* xtar VTC 4's from batteryjunction.com. (got the button tops for my 4Nine)

Claimed Specs:
Xtar 30A HIGH DRAIN Battery
Li-ion Rechargeable 3.6V 7.56Wh 18650 Battery 2100mAh
Size: 18.4 +/- 0.2mm diameter by 67.0 +/- 0.5mm height

I just got them today and I charged them up fully and put them through the ringer on several different builds ranging from 0.17Ω to 0.24Ω. These things perform marvelously. They seem to use a thicker heat wrap than Sony did, which is awesome because I ended up getting a knick or slice in every single on of my green VTC's. Another nice thing is all of the specs are listed directly on the battery. Plus, they blackandyellowblackandyellowblackandyellow da da da.

I just wanted to create this thread to ease any tentative minds out there. They have kept up very well with no signs of any strain while I was chain vaping those different builds. While I know thorough testing needs to be done, I think it's safe to assume the transfer of title, partnership, or whatever is legitimate.

You don't have to take my word for it. Just wanted to post this so you know what you are ordering.

Here are some photo's:

image2.jpg image1.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg image5.jpg

I mean for $7.45 a piece, who could complain? Great price for a seemingly great battery.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

~ Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I posted about these batteries a couple weeks ago and I got slammed by folks telling me that Sony didn't make button tops. I knew otherwise but I refuse to argue with those that refuse to do their own research.

Yes they rock!

There's a lot of speculation, and no one can really know until they are put through the proper tests. For now, they work just fine for my needs. Ya know?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I posted about these batteries a couple weeks ago and I got slammed by folks telling me that Sony didn't make button tops. I knew otherwise but I refuse to argue with those that refuse to do their own research.

Yes they rock!

Not by me :) I agreed and explained just how simple switching to a button top is in production.

Now Op, Not Formerly. Still Sony, manufactured AND WRAPPED FOR Xtar. Also Nothing new in manufacturing.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Not by me :) I agreed and explained just how simple switching to a button top is in production.

Now Op, Not Formerly. Still Sony, manufactured AND WRAPPED FOR Xtar. Also Nothing new in manufacturing.

Yeah, by previously, I just meant rewrap from the partnership.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I just recently 4 of the xtar 2100 mah flat top batteries, they work fine.

Anyone notice that they are just a bit taller than the Sony VTC5 and VTC4s?

They work great! I think that's because, as crxess said, the addition or switch over to a button top adds a few mm.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
never heard of the brand before. Figured they were a cheap brand, nice to know they're not.
Well, they make some of the best chargers(VP-series) and decent flashlights. :D

But when it comes to 18650s, I'd rather have an OEM Samsung or LG than some battery of unknown origin that's been private-labelled for a charger/flashlight company.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
RTD Vapor is an Xtar dealer and is carrying them. They report in their supplier forum that they are indeed VCT4's under the wrapper - getting that info directly from Xtar, have been testing them themselves on sight and are very happy with the results.

Run out? Why? If Sony is selling them directly to a battery manufacturer, Xtar should have no problems obtaining them.

If you have any questions about them you can ask RTD Vapor in their supplier forum.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky

But when it comes to 18650s, I'd rather have an OEM Samsung or LG than some battery of unknown origin that's been private-labelled for a charger/flashlight company.

They aren't of unknown origin - but they are rewrapped. - All of the batteries we use are for other purposes. The high drain batteries, we can thank the cordless tool industry for. All of the high-mah lion, we can thank the flashlight folks, laptop folks, and even the e-bike guys for creating the demand that generated the improvements we appreciate now.

In some cases (AW for instance), you're better off with the re-wrap than you are a factory wrap. AW cherry picks cells and then does additional testing of each cell that Panasonic does not. I'll take the AW cherry picked and put through high QC standards over the Panasonic that was intended for a drill battery but ended up in the consumer channel.

XTar is a legit company. There's no reason to think their VTC4s are not VTC4s. They are.

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing these. If you guys are certain these are VTC4s and you'd prefer a VTC4 over a 25R or an HE2, then they're probably an excellent choice.

I don't think saying that they make some of the best chargers is a dis. :) You just prefer different batteries, and that's totally fine! I just wrote this purely to ease some minds that these batteries truly rock.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I am wondering what they are going to re-wrap after the VTC4 runs out?
Sony's new plant to make VTC batteries in the Philippines is either just coming online or will shortly according to the good folks at illumination supply who met with a Sony factory rep.

The supply is low now but should rebound soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread