Yup..2 weeks in, already upgraded, question re clearo to tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellAdjustedAndroid

Oct 10, 2013
NY, NY
I swore I wouldn't be the person that ran out and got all new vape gear within a few months of getting my starter kit.
But then I went into the our new vape bar. You can test juices without your own vape gear...but all the real vapors had at least a semi decent "take out on the town" set up or apvs/mods with them.

So I had an eGo clonish battery (the Bloog 650 kit) but it has an 808D thread. I really like it too. So it wasn't that I didn't get a good vape from it. I also have their 808D 78mm volt battery and carts which is my work vape (kind of straight edge place, even a small clearo will look wierd.) But the vapors at the vaporium were hard core, so people were all..."oh you don't have a VV, erm, I was going to tell you to vape this flavor at a lower voltage." I felt inadequate enough to get a Kanger eVod with a Smoktech ARO Pyrex tank.

So in trying to make the jump from standard CE4 clearos to a bottom coil tank...I feel like even at high voltage, I'm getting a very cold, whispy vape. I'm not getting that big full hot mouthful. Obviously the tank is bigger and the heating element isn't sitting directly below my lips. And the pyrex tank has a metal (non-replaceable) drip tip so its always feels cold when I put my lips on it.

The coil in it now is a standard 2.4 ohms. Can I just crank it up to like 4.2 and see if it feels more to my liking? Or should I try a smaller tank? Or just go back to clearos? I've been off cigs for 18 days now, but I did like the heat and the burn. I don't want to start missing it.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Crank it all you want! Vaping to taste is what it's about. If it starts tasting burnt, turn it down. 4.2v isn't very high for a 2.4Ω coil anyway.

I don't know if turning up the power will warm the tip enough for you though. Most of my tips are stainless steel and they always feel cool, so does the Protank. Perhaps for your next venture you might get something with a replaceable drip tip.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Second on Jeff, if you want a warmer vape and a premade coil, grab a top coil clearomizer. It would be the next logical step up. You may, in time, want to have a look at rebuildable dripping atomizers as they are reported to be the hottest vapor and height of flavor. They are considered advanced devices though. Good luck and have fun!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with Ocey, adjust the voltage to your preference. Not a hard rule of thumb, but a useful guide is to take the ohm measurement and add "2" to find a good starting point for voltage. 2.4 ohm + 2 = 4.4 volts. Adjust to taste.

I agree with jefsview that the bottom coil clearos like the Evod have the reputation for a cooler vape. If the Evod doesn't suit you, the iClear 16 or 30 clearos are dual top coils that will provide a warmer vape. The iClear 30 is my favorite clearo.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
You certainly can adjust the voltage.

However, I made a thread here just two days ago basically tha mirrored your thoughts.

Vaping, to me, using a bottom coil device is not nearly as enjoyable as a top coil.

Some other top coil devices. Iclear 16 and 30. Vivi novas mini and large. Kanger t2.

I was also recommended to try a cartotank.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
As others have said, adjust the voltage until you are getting the flavor you like. I personally don't like a warm vape, but just because a vape is cool, doesn't mean it can't be nice and thick. I'll second what the Ocelot said, get something that can take a drip tip of your choice. I don't like a cold metal tip either and find an acrylic tip is the way to go.

WellAdjustedAndroid

Oct 10, 2013
NY, NY
Sweet! Thank you so much for the help. I was worried I wasn't describing it right or I was going to sound crazy (I am new to this stuff and don't know many of the rules of thumb yet.)

I upped the voltage to 4.2 and it does make the vape a good deal better! Its a pretty smooth vape to begin with. I really do like the simplicity of the bottom coil - there's no filling and wicking issues. Gravity seems to work well. They feel easier to fill and if I do get liquid in the center tube accidentally, its pretty easy to get out with one hard blow. My CE4 clearos can require a breakdown/clean out if I mess them up. So I'm liking the Smoktech ARO Pyrex Tank for a lot of reasons, and if anyone is on the fence and likes bottom coils - I say go for it.

I will probably pick up some clearos to keep juice in and I can just switch out when I need a really hot vape. I have used a T2 on my 650 vGo (808D ego clone) and really liked it. Its seems they are a bit tough to find in the 808D threading but I can just buy an adapter anyway.

I will check out the iClears. I was kind of scared of dual coils, but I'm feeling brave enough to try it! I also really like the look of the Vision Vivi Nova too. I can just use my 510 threaded drip tips with either of these products right?

I won't stop vaping my bottom coil tank entirely I don't think - but I'm definetly going to grab myself some eGo style top coils too.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Glad you are finding some good advice here! And congrats on the upgrade! I think that once you play around with different tanks, you'll fins something you really like. I personally really like the iClear 16's as they are cheap and easy to replace the coil heads once they go bad. If you want to use your own drip tips on them though, you have to be sure that the bottom part of the tip seals with the silicone topper that sits on top of the coils. I just got an adapter for my iClear 16's so I can use my 510 o-ring drip tips! It elevates the iClears for me even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread