Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut with Glycerin

RjG
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'd be more worried about a health food store bottle, since who knows where it came from. The SP stuff is regulated with an associated paper trail - according to the website

NorthCoast, Cleveland, OH, USA, Terra, Sol System

What I use
    NOW VITAMINS - GLYCERINE VEGETABLE 16 FL OZ

Pharmacy grade that i have but have not used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RjG
    ECF Veteran

That is interesting... the "external use only" thing. The bottle I got from the drugstore says you can gargle with it. I wonder if that's a labelling thing, since 100% pure should be the same, no matter what.

The 500ml bottle of USP PG that came from Xenex Labs says "avoid inhalation" on it too though, LOL.

USP:

"USP includes chemical descriptions, identifying tests, and purity tests, primarily for active ingredients. All materials listed in the USP are considered drugs by law and subject to all the U.S. Food & Drug Administration requirements pertaining to drugs. Labeling a product or a substance as USP implies that it conforms to all the legal requirements of the FDA and that it was produced in accordance with the principles outlined in FDA’s Good Manufacturing Practices"

"under FDA regulations, the quality and purity of USP and FCC glycerin products must be supported by systematic and complete record keeping on the part of the manufacturer. For example, every shipment of USP and FCC glycerin must be referenced to a lot number, which permits tracing back to the plant in which the product was produced. These requirements are designed to assure a level of product integrity that cannot be achieved strictly by reliance only on physical and chemical testing."

So USP means it legally qualifies as a "Drug" and better d*mn well contain what it says it does :-)

That particular heath food store stuff MAGUSTEELE buys is VERY impressive as well

Their web page, although hard to find, says:
    NOW Foods - Glycerin or Diethylene Glycol?

"At NOW® Foods, we perform identity testing on our raw materials and finished goods in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practice standards to ensure the safety and quality of our products. To avoid the use of DEG-contaminated glycerin, specific analytical testing procedures are performed on glycerin materials, as well as finished products containing glycerin such as our XyliWhiteTM toothpastes. These quality controls provide a reasonable assurance that our products are tested to be safe.

Technical Details

The USP infrared absorption method from the USP monograph is used for the identification of individual compounds of glycerin and DEG. The USP gas chromatography/flame ionization selection (GC/FID) method is used to distinguish glycerin from DEG and determine the concentration of DEG contamination. We use the USP GC method to determine the level of DEG in glycerin by spiking 0.1% of DEG into glycerin standard solution and comparing the peak size. The assay allows the precise and sensitive identification and limit testing of DEG in glycerin raw material and some final products. By using this method to verify the limit of DEG in glycerin products, Now Foods ensures the best quality of our products for our customers, while avoiding potentially harmful impurities."

So it looks pretty good for either of these, I'd say. Just be careful to research whatever you get if it doesn't have some legal quality assurance label on it.

Full Member Verified Member gouki's Avatar

Well i got mine from here hxxp://w w w .newdirectionsaromatics.ca/glycerine-vegetable-p-540.html and if you clink on the link MSDS & C of A there is a mention inhaling (Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. Avoid casual breathing.) but have been told it's ok. Still unsure though but so far no symptoms.

RjG
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by gouki View Post
    ...newdirectionsaromatics.ca/glycerine...MSDS & C of A there is a mention inhaling (Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. Avoid casual breathing.) ...
    Cool. You'll be the only Canadian e-smoker who still HAS to go outside this winter

NorthCoast, Cleveland, OH, USA, Terra, Sol System

doesnt sound like a good thing to use, if the fumes are bad for you.
    I dont think that means use with fresh air, i think it means if inhaled, get to fresh air to get it out.

Super Member ECF Veteran Kimmiegrif's Avatar

gargle....mine says it is used for icing on cakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiegrif View Post
    gargle....mine says it is used for icing on cakes...
    I've been known to inhale cake and its never done me any harm

PV Master ECF Veteran

Glycerine is the main ingredient in some mouthwashes. Check for a mouthwash to cure bleeding gums. It's almost pure glycerine. This is good stuff. Worrying is worse for you than inhaling glycerine vapor!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

There is a massive difference between eating and Inhaling things .

Our stomachs can take a serious pounding I mean ther full of acid 100% of the time !

Our lungs on the other hand are not so tuff !

So bottom line is until the powers that be do long term testing we will never now if vaping PG or VG will kill us in the long term or not.

We do know that Cigarettes will kill you so think we may be better off with vaping but maybe its just a matter of time before we are told it will kill us too? who knows hey ?

We Vape In The Name Of Science !!
    Last edited by SANJP; 12-02-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)