MICRO COILS - Selecting the right gauge wire to hit your target resistance - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: MICRO COILS - Selecting the right gauge wire to hit your target resistance

  1. #11
    Full Member Verified Member propofokgov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oplholik View Post
    My 30g, 7 wrap coils measure .068" long consistently. I measured with a digital caliper at the top of the coil opposite of the tails.
    Now when I wrap, I can just check that instead of squinting, and straining the ole eyes.

    Thanks propo.
    No problem oplholik, glad I could help! I was also thinking it would be good to know the full unwrapped length of wire from contact point to contact point to get a sense of how much wire was being used. I know the distance of the leads can play a part in the resistance measurements of the coils and to have a standard lead length might help with consistency.
    GUS Lord . Ω . [GUS Estia* / UD AGA-T7 / Tobh Clone]

    * = favorite and/or current

  2. #12
    Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA,USA
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Great info. I have a question, how do I get the ohms up to around 2.1-2.5? I am using 30 gauge and 2mm silica (newb,lol). I will eventually get to cotton but I've only wrapped a couple so far and I am at 1.2-1.3 ohms with 4-5 coils. Do I simply just need to increase the amount of my coils? That doesn't seem right since your wrapping 10-12 and still getting that low ohm. Obviously the size of the coil has much to do with it also?

  3. #13
    Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    State O' Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hell... the nice part
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scscheib View Post
    Great info. I have a question, how do I get the ohms up to around 2.1-2.5? I am using 30 gauge and 2mm silica (newb,lol). I will eventually get to cotton but I've only wrapped a couple so far and I am at 1.2-1.3 ohms with 4-5 coils. Do I simply just need to increase the amount of my coils? That doesn't seem right since your wrapping 10-12 and still getting that low ohm. Obviously the size of the coil has much to do with it also?
    Previously called "vape calc"... now called "Steam Engine".

  4. #14
    Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA,USA
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by State O' Flux View Post
    Previously called "vape calc"... now called "Steam Engine".
    Excellent, thank you!

  5. #15
    Super Member Verified Member jball49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Interesting info, when you say mandrel, is it the typical wire looping type that is graduated to different diameters all the way up? If so, wondering how you decided to use that instead of what I have read so many say they use such as drill bits, etc?
    State O' Flux likes this.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain."

  6. #16
    Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    State O' Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hell... the nice part
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jball49 View Post
    Interesting info, when you say mandrel, is it the typical wire looping type that is graduated to different diameters all the way up? If so, wondering how you decided to use that instead of what I have read so many say they use such as drill bits, etc?
    Many of us, with machining and metals manufacturing backgrounds, use the term mandrel, as it better describes what the tool is purposed for, and IMO... it tends to imply a degree of freedom in your choices.

    A drill bit can be a mandrel... as can a toothpick, paper clip or needle. So, when I say "use a 1.5mm mandrel" - it means for you to use anything that will suffice as a mandrel with which to wrap a wire coil of a specific size, and yet... not specifically a drill bit.

  7. #17
    Super Member Verified Member jball49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by State O' Flux View Post
    Many of us, with machining and metals manufacturing backgrounds, use the term mandrel, as it better describes what the tool is purposed for, and IMO... it tends to imply a degree of freedom in your choices.

    A drill bit can be a mandrel... as can a toothpick, paper clip or needle. So, when I say "use a 1.5mm mandrel" - it means for you to use anything that will suffice as a mandrel with which to wrap a wire coil of a specific size, and yet... not specifically a drill bit.
    Thank you for clarifying that for me, I appreciate it!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain."

  8. #18
    Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    State O' Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hell... the nice part
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jball49 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that for me, I appreciate it!
    No problemo. Can't move forward without a bit of clarity.

  9. #19
    Super Member etherealink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Shawneetown, IL
    Posts
    970
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scscheib View Post
    Great info. I have a question, how do I get the ohms up to around 2.1-2.5? I am using 30 gauge and 2mm silica (newb,lol). I will eventually get to cotton but I've only wrapped a couple so far and I am at 1.2-1.3 ohms with 4-5 coils. Do I simply just need to increase the amount of my coils? That doesn't seem right since your wrapping 10-12 and still getting that low ohm. Obviously the size of the coil has much to do with it also?
    To get to 2.3 ohms around a 2mm mandrel (silica in this case) you would need 3.2 inches of wire (plus the legs/leads) and it would be a micro-style coil in this case, where the wraps are touching.

    The difference is most micro coils are around 1.5mm mandrels and are wrapped tight around the mandrel with the wraps touching each other.

    The easiest way to explain the relationship of resistance and wire gauge is that the thinner the wire, the higher the resistance. And when you wrap wire around a smaller mandrel you can use more wraps and still use the same amount of wire, meaning the resistance is the same. When you wrap coils with spaced out wraps you will end up with less wraps and still have the same resistance.

    If you have a smart phone, check out Vaper's Toolbox, so far it has been fairly accurate.

  10. #20
    Super Member Verified Member jball49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etherealink View Post
    To get to 2.3 ohms around a 2mm mandrel (silica in this case) you would need 3.2 inches of wire (plus the legs/leads) and it would be a micro-style coil in this case, where the wraps are touching.

    The difference is most micro coils are around 1.5mm mandrels and are wrapped tight around the mandrel with the wraps touching each other.

    The easiest way to explain the relationship of resistance and wire gauge is that the thinner the wire, the higher the resistance. And when you wrap wire around a smaller mandrel you can use more wraps and still use the same amount of wire, meaning the resistance is the same. When you wrap coils with spaced out wraps you will end up with less wraps and still have the same resistance.

    If you have a smart phone, check out Vaper's Toolbox, so far it has been fairly accurate.
    Apparently if you have a Droid smart phone, already went through this and isn't available for iPhone as far as I could find. Drats, lol.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks