Don't clean those atomizers

Thread: Don't clean those atomizers

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Don't clean those atomizers

I just soaked 10 atomizers in Enclear l90 proof. 5 of were dead after they dried. After reading the forum I decided these needed cleaning. Before this I would just blow them out and over 8 months I only had 3 to die. I don't know what happened but evidently it was caused by soaking them in the Enclear.

Has anybody else soaked them in Enclear and have some of them die.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by martha1014 View Post
    I just soaked 10 atomizers in Enclear l90 proof. 5 of were dead after they dried. After reading the forum I decided these needed cleaning. Before this I would just blow them out and over 8 months I only had 3 to die. I don't know what happened but evidently it was caused by soaking them in the Enclear.

I bet they're not dead! Prime them with 3-4 drops of juice, wait a couple of minutes then take a few puffs. I bet they spring back to life. When you clean them and let them dry, the mesh is completely empty so they "appear" dead. Try it and let me know.

Senior Member ECF Veteran ZorbaTheGreek's Avatar

"after they dried" Are you sure they were dry? There are placed inside where liquid could really hide. I wouldn't trust it totally dry till after a few days in the sun. They are very small cavities, so they can be tricky to dry. Recently after a wash one of mine wouldn't fire up. I too a lighter to it to quick dry it, held it in pliers and got it pretty damn warm. Spun right back up after that. I've been trying different flavors a bunch since I'm pretty new to vaping. I wash the one atty I've been using (other is backup) about every other day for over a month, no problems yet. And really, there is nothing in an atomizer that washing it would hurt anyway. You can toss a keyboard in the dishwasher, just as long as it's dry before you put power to it, it works.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

A trick that I use to quickly dry cleaned atty's is to stand them on top of a small metal halogen desk lamp like this one.
    Catalina Brushed Steel Halogen Desk Lamp | Staples®
    It is adjustable in intensity so it can be set to slowly cook the water out. If you have a small lamp whose shade gets a little hot, try it. You can also put it in a toaster oven set low.
    Or let it dry by itself for at least 12 hours.

read up on this thread by sattec. it should help with the cleaning problem.

Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

i just cleaned 2 attys they were tasting burnt. When I blew them out the liquid was a darker brown but they worked. I let them dry for 3 days tried to use them today one worked the other didnt. I have tried others that were working but drawing hard after cleaning they did not work at all. I have mixed feelings about cleaning. It seems that I have lost more cleaning than not.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I didn't give my first two attys enough juice and they started giving me a horrible burnt flavor almost all of the time, even with lots of juice.
    After an Efferdent bath, they are just beyond hope.

Now I blow out an atty daily, keep it juiced up, and stop worrying about cleaning.
    But if my current attys give me trouble at all in the future I'll be quite conflicted as to what to do -- whether to intervene at all.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Default On the odd ocasion

That I feel a need to clean an atty, I use a little crest pro mouthwash...swirl gently for a couple minutes...rinse with tap water...
    place in oven @ 125' for 15 minutes...prime and vape away.
    Your oven temp may vary.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

My cleaning process is very, very simple...and just so everyone knows, I've NEVER lost an atty, after around 6 months of doing this(I've had m40* series, 510, J-118 and 901, all in OEM and generic forms)

1. Blow out all excess or "burnt" liquid. It will probably be pretty dark. Careful, this gets messy sometimes, and if you get enough on your hands you'll get a headrush

2. Go to you kitchen/bathroom sink; Run the water until it is pretty hot. Hold the atty under the stream until the "hair" under the atomizer bridge is clear, or (on m400 series attys) until you can blow through the end and pure water comes out.

3. This might be the most important step: after blowing all the water out of the atty, be sure to load it up with fresh fluid (not too much, now! there will be water left over in the atty most likely) and vape until you get a full hit- repeat as necessary to ensure ALL of the water is out. I think that is what saves my atomizers-I would never, ever soak them in anything for any length of time, nor would I use boiling water-the internals are too delicate. Also, if you do not get all of the water out right away, you could run into problems, or so I've heard. Hope this helps...And that I posted it in the right place.

-J4mmin

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by martha1014 View Post

I bet they're not dead. Grab a multimeter and check the resistance. If they're still good, let 'em dry out some more before trying again.