Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TSA interaction: personal experiences

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default TSA interaction: personal experiences

Hi all,

I've read many of the threads in this forum, and glad to hear people are doing okay with bringing PVs and juice through security. I'm a musician, often touring for a month at a time, so I sometimes go through security as many as 15 times in a month. I started vaping last week, and I fully expect to be asked questions by TSA periodically as I pass through, considering the frequency.

My question is: Who has had interaction with TSA about their e-cigs? What questions did they ask? Did they ever have to bring a "supervisor" over to clear it? Any horror stories? Any confiscations?

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

-Jamie

Senior Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I was stopped going through security in Las Vegas because of my Chuck. The lady on the scanner was looking at the screen and I heard her say, "What is that?" I said to her, "Does it look like a flashlight?" She said yes and I said, "its an electronic cigarette."

She called over a guy to check the bag, he started rooting around in it, I asked what he was looking for and he told me it looked like it might be a flashlight. I told him where it was in the bag and told him it was an electronic cigarette. He pulled it out, looked it over, said he'd never seen one that big. I resisted the urge to say, "That's what she said."

Then they gave me my bag and I got on the plane. No big deal. Even if they don't know exactly what it is and have never seen one in person, most everyone knows that electronic cigarettes exist. Its not hard convincing them that something innocuous is in fact innocuous.

ECF Administrator
    Social Groups Manager
    Reviewer/Blogger Manager
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

They didn't say anything the one time it was an "issue." They just pulled my ProVari out of my laptop bag, swabbed it, put it back and said have a nice day... oh wait, they did say "have a nice day." That was at MCO.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

TSA is fully aware of Ecigs, at least in the USA they are, the best way to carry your gear is to put everything in Quart size zip locks and seperate the stuff, batts in one, PV's in another, and juice in the third ziplock. also taking apart your PV's is best so they dont look like a pipe or tube.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran ScottinSoCal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mwa102464 View Post
    TSA is fully aware of Ecigs, at least in the USA they are, the best way to carry your gear is to put everything in Quart size zip locks and seperate the stuff, batts in one, PV's in another, and juice in the third ziplock. also taking apart your PV's is best so they dont look like a pipe or tube.
    Or leave it assembled in your coat pocket and send your coat through the x-ray machine. That's what I've done with my ProVari at LAX, Dulles, Kennedy and White Plains airports and no one has batted an eye. Next week I'll be braving SeaTac.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I also had an agent do a double take at my bag and a silly amount of back up eGo's. I told them what it was and they said ok.

Red and Black Reo Grand, Baby Black and Silver Mini, Black oo, Black IPro with M1A1 Tanks and a Black and Silver Reo Grand in my hand.

A client of mine told me she just had a terrible experience going through security carrying ecig parts for her friend. Says they thought the atomizers were bullets, pulled her out of line, checked for gun powder residue on her hands, yadda, yadda, yadda. Personally I take this story with more than a grain of salt since even the stupidest member of Team TSA should know that bullets aren't hollow on one end and threaded on the other. If they don't we're in for a world of hurt.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Alright, I've flown a bit since my original post, so here are my experiences:

* I've vaped on every single flight in the bathroom, often going back multiple times. Not the most pleasant place to vape, but I doubt I'd be able to get away with it in my seat next to people.

* I've vaped in the airport, usually while walking, but a few times while sitting in low-occupied gate waiting areas. I've heard a few people whispering about what I was doing, so I kept it at a minimum. If I'm feeling less-adventurous, I just go to a bathroom stall. (Truthfully, it sucks vaping in airport bathrooms, so I want to get more comfortable doing it elsewhere.)

* At DFW Airport I asked an "Information" desk person what their policy was on "electronic cigarettes". She said they don't allow it. I mentioned that it wasn't actual smoke and asked why. Her response was "We've had complaints from smokers who don't understand why people are allowed to use electronic cigarettes while they aren't allowed to smoke real ones, so we don't allow it anymore." I can't say for certain if she was being honest about written policy though.

* TSA has asked a couple times about them and let me through. One said she had never seen one like mine before (a madvapes mod), but it was no problem.

Overall, so far so good. I'm going to stop by the Information Desk more often, and refer to it as my "Vaporizer" instead of electronic cigarette. Hopefully that will bypass the initial anti-smoking stigma and get to the point. I'll compile my findings for different airport policies and report back.

Another note: I'm far more comfortable vaping in airports if I'm with another person. That's just me though.
    Beans likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Over the last 2 years, I've done a fair bit of traveling (within the US and a few times abroad) with PV equipment and liquid. Generally speaking, I think things are getting easier in the sense that I've been subject to fewer bag searches or questions. TSA screeners have seen millions of PVs by now. Early on, I was stopped for an additional bag search a few times. Flying within the EU, a box of empty cartomizers apparently looked suspicious to one screener and I had to pull them out and explain what they were. Since then, I've put anything related to vaping--batteries, cartos, attys, etc-- in clear plastic bags. I also place those plastic bags in a separate tub (not inside my carry on) when I go through security. That way, if there are any questions or concerns, I don't have to go rooting through my luggage to find whatever it is they want to examine more closely. Making everything visible and easily accessible is the key. (For example, I take my Ego case and unzip it so the contents are visible through the plastic.)

By the way, cartos are fantastic for traveling. I fill one up with high-nicotine flavorless (36 mg/ml--PG for reduced vapor and no odor) and screw it on the end of a short or mega 510 battery. Great for quick efficient hits that can help get you through a long trip.

I had a screener recently ask me if "that was one one of those KR808s" and I said yes. He then said that he really doesn't like cartomizers because they "taste nasty when they run out" and that he prefers a 510 or Ego, I forget which.
    Mamarox and plarkinjr like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast