Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kayfun 3.1 ES - setup re-wick - re-coil -- My Method

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Kayfun 3.1 ES - setup re-wick - re-coil -- My Method

I've been experimenting with various methods for setting up this beast for a while now and I think I have one that should be fool proof almost every time - I've done it like this for about the last 5 re-coils and it's been spot-on every time... This is a variation on the figure of eight method but without the waste and the faff required for coiling.

First I start off with some 0.2mm Kanthal and two pieces of 1.5mm Eko wool that's been torched (torching the silica stiffens it a teeny bit as well as removing any 3rd party stuff)

Then I do a nice tight 4/5 wrap as shown, wrap the coil onto the silica so that the two pieces lay side by side

This is attached to the Kayfun then by pushing tight against the post block and screwing the coil tails in place

Then lift the coil up so that the wicks sit on top of the screws - ensure no coil touches the screws by adjusting with a pin screwdriver tweezers etc...

Ensure that the wicks are sitting side by side from the top as shown....

At this stage I prime the wick with some neat VG I keep in a small needle dispenser bottle - I have found that this greatly helps the wicks to start working with no fuss once everything is finally setup. I don't overload the wicks just load them a little bit to help with positioning and cutting a little later on....

Next I shove the wicks up into the barrel body and attach it leaving the wicks poking out of the top. I saturate them a little bit more with some neat VG

Then with some nail clippers I clip the wicks to about 5-8mm above the top of the barrel like so:

Then with a tweezers I manipulate the wicks down into the fluid wells like so - one tail either side and pulled against the central post so that the wick doesn't block the fluid entry channels. The prior wetting with VG greatly assists in doing this at this stage.

The coil works out at 2.0 - 2.1 ohms every time - higher ohms can be achieved with the use of 0.16 kanthal and lower ohms with 0.25 Kanthal...

Finally I get the juice I'm going to use and put approximately 3 drops in either fluid well until it begins to weep out of the bottom of the fluid channels - assemble - fill and vape

This provides all the benefits of the popular Figure of Eight method in use but without the wastage of wick and the faff required in the actual coiling process. - It achieves exactly the same effect regards wicking as the figure of eight method - you just need a bit more attention to detail when placing the wicks to ensure no channel blockages occur. - I get excellent wicking - flavour and vapour production with this set up

Hope this helps anyone having problems coming up with a reliable method for wicking this atty..

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Very helpful to me, thanks!

PV Masher Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hey Darth, i have some XS 116 and 118 (like nextel xc but silica)... would there be any problems with that?
    I just got my beta finish 3.1 in.
    I'm going for sub 1.0 Ohms for sure...
    NBNeme-ReoGrand-DNA30-Raptor100w-Dees500,RuthlessBomber -
    Magma,Achilles,Prometey2-Origen1&2b/f-BigBen/Gryphon-TroyX

PV Masher Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Help; where can i get those needle nose plastic bottles ???
    google here i come
    NBNeme-ReoGrand-DNA30-Raptor100w-Dees500,RuthlessBomber -
    Magma,Achilles,Prometey2-Origen1&2b/f-BigBen/Gryphon-TroyX

Quote Originally Posted by ukeman View Post
    Help; where can i get those needle nose plastic bottles ???
    google here i come
    i ordered a couple of these: 10ml Empty Plastic Needle Bottle
    they also have just the plastic needle fill tips but i wasn't sure if they were the same ones that came on these bottles and the bottles were recommended by other kayfun users so i just went with those.
    ukeman likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

how is the flavor with your cool be so high above the air Chanel? I try to get my wick as close as I can without it shorting out, never tried a build with the coil so high...

ECF Veteran

lower coils in relation to the air inlet tends to provide more vapor and less of a throat hit. The higher the coil gets from the air hole tends to make less vapor and increases the throat hit.

I don't like to have the coil too close to the air inlet because if the wick gets too saturated and the liquid bridges the gap it will just pour down the air hole and fill the collector tank...

Thank you. This setup is working the best out of all the ones I've tried.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Thanks Darth

Just got my kayfan light and was going nuts trying to wick and coil this thing. Was getting great flavor but no cloud and lots of dry hits. Used your method and now have lots of vapor and flavor and no dry hits.
    OH MY, I just unscrewed the wrong end of my clearo and it spilled all over me.
    Read my blogs http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast