Cannot get cotton wick working!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cannot get cotton wick working!!

Super Member ECF Veteran Bubblegum's Avatar

Angry Cannot get cotton wick working!!

I've tried re-wicking my Evod heads about 5-6 times using cotton but there is little or no vapour being produced! what am i doing wrong!!??

Cotton wick is a game changer. The biggest thing to remember is that "less is more" when using cotton. Try using just enough to go through the coil but can still easily move while still touching the inside of the coil (cotton will expand just a bit when wet). You also do not want plump ends and want to twist it so that the cotton coming out the ends of the coil do not bush out and stay like a strand of silica (same thickness through out the entire wick). It can be tricky but will work great once you figure it out. Hope this helps!

Edit: You also do not want to move the coil. There is a possiblilty that you may have moved the coil and are causing a short (hence the no vapor). Do you have a meter to test the resistance?
    keonee likes this.
    Current Vape: Valkyrie, Sony US18650VTC5, Hand-made wide bore drip tip (www.facebook.com/nebulousformations), Aces Vapor "Maverick" Vanilla Custard 3mg (www.acesvapor.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post
    I've tried re-wicking my Evod heads about 5-6 times using cotton but there is little or no vapour being produced! what am i doing wrong!!??
    are you making your wick to thick or are you compressing it to much and making your wick to hard i find the evod heads very easy to wick with cotton and i am a newby to coil rebuilding good luck and reduce the amount of cotton as i can sit in a cloud
    keonee likes this.
    modded sentinel ... KTS+ ...vamo v3... vamo v5 X2 ... innokin svd ... bagua ... fogger... genuine hypertank ... vivi nova ...i clear 30s... DCT x2 ... kayfun 3.1 x 2 ... Russian 91% x 2 .

Quote Originally Posted by Revelene View Post
    Cotton wick is a game changer. The biggest thing to remember is that "less is more" when using cotton. Try using just enough to go through the coil but can still easily move while still touching the inside of the coil (cotton will expand just a bit when wet). You also do not want plump ends and want to twist it so that the cotton coming out the ends of the coil do not bush out and stay like a strand of silica (same thickness through out the entire wick). It can be tricky but will work great once you figure it out. Hope this helps!

Edit: You also do not want to move the coil. There is a possiblilty that you may have moved the coil and are causing a short (hence the no vapor). Do you have a meter to test the resistance?
    Well I though maybe i wasn't using enough. i thought the cotton has to be touching the coil when inside of it.

I don't have a meter but ordered one from FT so still waiting on that to come.

Quote Originally Posted by turnippits View Post
    are you making your wick to thick or are you compressing it to much and making your wick to hard i find the evod heads very easy to wick with cotton and i am a newby to coil rebuilding good luck and reduce the amount of cotton as i can sit in a cloud
    I think I might be using too much wick yes. I did try a little to start but there was very minimal vapour.

By the way im using (80% vg 10% pg) e-juice and rest it 10% distilled water

the standard stock heads with silica producing good amount of vapour but the heads seems crap so i want to make my own.

I will try again and make 2-3 heads and take pics ad post them to get your opinions on each

I think...I think iv'e sussed it! same sort of vapour as the silica but it's working better than me previous try.

I put a very small amount of cotton, twisted then inserted into the coil then used some 60%PG 40%VG e juice.

ye har told you its great isnt it
    modded sentinel ... KTS+ ...vamo v3... vamo v5 X2 ... innokin svd ... bagua ... fogger... genuine hypertank ... vivi nova ...i clear 30s... DCT x2 ... kayfun 3.1 x 2 ... Russian 91% x 2 .

Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Well I though maybe i wasn't using enough. i thought the cotton has to be touching the coil when inside of it.
    What kind of wire did you use? How many turns on what size mandrel? How do the coils look when you dry-burn them (with no wick in 'em, obviously)?

Can you post up some pictures? It's hard to say what's wrong without seeing it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast