Vamo Shutting Itself Off
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vamo Shutting Itself Off

  1. #1
    PV Master ECF Veteran Kemosabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Roe Dylin
    Posts
    5,708

    Question Vamo Shutting Itself Off

    my vamo recently started doing this thing where it turns itself off after my draw. at first i thought the resistance of my genny was somehow below 1.2Ω, but nope, the vamo was reading it well above that. so i turn the device back on and have another vape. the device turns itself off. this cycle continues for a few more vapes.

    i thought it was something to do with the RBA, so i swapped it out for a carto-tank. a known working carto tank. boom, it happened again. the light flashes and the device turns off.

    i cant figure out whats going on. the battery was 3.7v when the problem started, and went down to 3.6v as i was playing around with it. so the batt wasnt dead yet. perhaps it was shutting off early?

    ive since swapped out the batt and the problem hasnt come back, but im fearful it will start acting up again once this batt is half-way depleted. has this happened to anyone else?

    FTR, im using AW and EFest IMR 18350s.

  2. #2
    Super Member ECF Veteran piggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    329

    Default

    How old are your batterries? Is it happenning on both batts?

  3. #3
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Battery could be losing connection, do you have the new gold spring? Flat tops or button tops?
    Kemosabe likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    236

    Default

    dude mine does this all the time. It's just a minor annoyance. I click it back on and i'm back to vaping again. I dont know what is causing it. I thought battery connection at first, but it does it with 18350s wheres theres definitely contact because it's a tight spring at that point. It does it with every battery I have.
    Kemosabe likes this.

  5. #5
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    nahoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Orange County CA
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Well, either you're losing connection with the battery, or it sounds like your center pin is shorting out. What happens if you press the button when no delivery device is attached? Does the vamo still shut down? It's possible that when you read ohms it'll be ok, but when you try to vape, you start drawing current and the vamo shuts itself down. I've seen this before!

    Try this... pull the center pin up a little, use a small jewelers screwdriver or tweezers, and then fire the vamo with nothing attached to it. If it doesn't shut down... connect your delivery device again, but only tighten it so it barely makes contact... then try to vape it again. If you can vape it without the vamo shutting down, then you probably need to replace the rubber gasket under the center pin. See the Ohm's fix thread on how to do that.
    Kemosabe and peraspera like this.

  6. #6
    Super Member ECF Veteran rver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Mine does the same thing with new 18650's...about once a day...I leave it as is.

  7. #7
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    1,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Another thought: The Vamo will auto shut off if you hold the fire button for over 10 seconds (I believe). I found that if you hold the button too long for a lot of vapor, the Vamo will shut off completely, and needs to be restarted with 5 fast clicks again.

  8. #8
    PV Master ECF Veteran Kemosabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Roe Dylin
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    How old are your batterries? Is it happenning on both batts?
    my AW batteries were purchased around the first of the year. my efests were purchased just a few weeks ago. i cant remember which battery this happened with. i think it was an AW.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    Battery could be losing connection, do you have the new gold spring? Flat tops or button tops?
    no, i have the original skinnier spring. button top batts. good call on the battery connection idea. you know, i think that could be it. the efests are slightly larger than the AWs. maybe the efests compacted the spring slightly, so when the AW got put in there, the spring wasnt quite as springy, creating more wiggle and less connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by media View Post
    dude mine does this all the time. It's just a minor annoyance. I click it back on and i'm back to vaping again. I dont know what is causing it. I thought battery connection at first, but it does it with 18350s wheres theres definitely contact because it's a tight spring at that point. It does it with every battery I have.
    its good to know im not the only one

    Quote Originally Posted by nahoku View Post
    Well, either you're losing connection with the battery, or it sounds like your center pin is shorting out. What happens if you press the button when no delivery device is attached? Does the vamo still shut down? It's possible that when you read ohms it'll be ok, but when you try to vape, you start drawing current and the vamo shuts itself down. I've seen this before!

    Try this... pull the center pin up a little, use a small jewelers screwdriver or tweezers, and then fire the vamo with nothing attached to it. If it doesn't shut down... connect your delivery device again, but only tighten it so it barely makes contact... then try to vape it again. If you can vape it without the vamo shutting down, then you probably need to replace the rubber gasket under the center pin. See the Ohm's fix thread on how to do that.
    no, the vamo does not shut down with nothing attached. actaully, nothing has shut down since i changed out the batt. i do have an efest in there now, which could be the solution. once this batt dies, i will try an AW to see if its the size of the batt creating the problem. if so, ill get the new gold spring.
    i sure hope its not my center pin. ive always been careful not to compact it, but lately ive been getign annoyed at the loose 510 connection mine has. i end up screwing down my tanks tighter than i normally would in an attempt to sturdy-up the 510 connection and make the tank not wobbly.
    thanks for the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by rver View Post
    Mine does the same thing with new 18650's...about once a day...I leave it as is.
    glad to hear this hasnt developed into a major issue for you. i was beginning to get worried (for me, lol).

    Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    Another thought: The Vamo will auto shut off if you hold the fire button for over 10 seconds (I believe). I found that if you hold the button too long for a lot of vapor, the Vamo will shut off completely, and needs to be restarted with 5 fast clicks again.
    hmmmm, maybe i was holding it down for that long. its not that likely, but certainly possible. ive never hit the cutoff before, but i did just load up a new flavor for my RBA and it was particularly delightful so maybe i was hittign the cutoff!

    -------------------

    thanks for the help everyone. i will report back if i continue to have the issue.
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 05-08-2013 at 06:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    nahoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Orange County CA
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    no, i have the original skinnier spring
    You must have one of the older Vamos. Good idea to change the spring right away. And yes, that could very well be the problem. I believe peraspera posted some good links somewhere on where to get some replacement springs. Hopefully she'll show up and post those links.


    EDIT... found it... HERE'S peraspera's post.
    Last edited by nahoku; 05-08-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Kemosabe likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    163

    Default

    having the same issue here, adjusted the center pin and really didn't notice a difference. I have been rocking a vivi nova and from what I have heard on the grapevine is that vivi's are notorious for compacting center pins. going to try out my new AGA T and AGI to see if I continue to have the same problem. I have the Vamo V2 so in my case it is definitely not the spring. I would like to resolve the issue because its incredibly annoying. I was thinking about getting another one but after having this one for about 2 months-ish not so sure if I am already having issues even with brand new batteries. I have dropped mine a time or two but they haven't been major. I wan't to say that something has gone awry with the electronic side because it cuts off at random even when I don't hold down more than say 5 secs. I also have issues turning it back on after it cuts off. I give it enough time to reset and sometimes it still takes me nearly 5 tries to get it to turn back on. As long as it still works I am ok but am thinking it might be time for a new mod, perhaps something else. shame because I really love my Vamo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks