Protected Batteries in the Vamo V3
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Baditude

Thread: Protected Batteries in the Vamo V3

Default Protected Batteries in the Vamo V3

I just realized that I could have bought the cheaper unprotected batteries as the Vamo V3 has a protection circuit built in. I've read the protected ones are also a bit longer.

Will the protected ones still work in Vamo V3 but is overkill or will they not work at all.

Panasonic CGR18650CG 18650 2200mAh Protected Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack)

That's what I purchased. I've only used the batteries that came with vamo v3 so far...I hope those ones I linked will still work.

Well good news I tried one of them out. It's a tight fit. They are longer but manage to fit. I think they may be slightly fatter than original as I unscrew in the middle to pull the battery out.

Anyone know about safety using protective batteries in them?

Administrator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Generally, protected batteries will mess with the circuitry in a mod with built in circuit protection. It's best to use unprotected batteries in those types of APVs.

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

It might work, but you're going to run into problems with the unit not firing. It's happened to others here.

AW IMR are the best batteries you can buy. Panasonic's CH/CGR's are a good option, too.

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCR Media View Post
    It might work, but you're going to run into problems with the unit not firing. It's happened to others here.

AW IMR are the best batteries you can buy. Panasonic's CH/CGR's are a good option, too.
    Well like I said they are working for me just a bit snug and have to unscrew middle piece to get out as they are a little fatter.

FT says I'd be responsible for shipping since they sent what I ordered...not sure if it's worth the time or the shipping to send them back since they are working for me. I may run into the firing problem and when I do I'll order the correct type next go around. I also have the two that came with the kit which are the correct type I presume.

Blog Entries

Protected Li-ion batteries aren't the best option for a regulated device that uses buck-boost circuitry to make higher voltage. Regulated mods like the Vamo work most optimally if they have a high drain battery, which an IMR or hybrid battery is. Protected batteries may not have the maximum load current capacity that IMR/hybrid batteries have.

The same holds true for mechanical mods using a Kick or RBA/RDA. These require the high drain ability of an IMR.