Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Vamo v5 with v2 stripped head replacement

Got tired of my tanks popping off my v5 vamo. Ordered 3 of the v2 replacement heads about a month ago or so for $12 shipped. I figured the removable ring looked cool but didnt really serve me any funtional purpose, plus it kind of makes it look more "phallic". I was going to do a video but was too lazy to set everything up sp ill just do steps. This is how i did it.

1. Remove the top ring and pull off the press fit top portion of the battery tube. The battery tube portion should be fairly easy to pull out.
    Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement-20131027_035844.jpg

2. Attach the threaded bottom portion of the battery tube to where the top beauty ring goes.
    Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement-20131027_035857.jpg

3. At this point all you are doing is basically wiggling the head off, made easier by having a grip on both sides taking care not to damage the screen and/or buttons. As soon as you can get a tiny gap just keep shifting up the side opposite the side of the largest gap. Keep in mind that the head has short wires soldered to the board inside so make sure you are more gentle if you feel it is about to pop off. you will end up with these pieces:
    Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement-20131027_040030.jpg

4. This is the self explanatory soldering part. White wire goes to middle post and black goes to the outer well. The heads I got all had a dab of solder already on it to make it easier I guess. Connecting the battery tube extension back to the head while you are "desoldering" will help dissapate the heat and add some weight so that the leads just come right off.
    Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement-20131027_041206.jpg

5. Thats basically it. With just the head and the main vamo body I set it flat on a solid metal surface (35lb dumbell in my case), then used a scrap piece of 2x4 to tap the new head down into place. I was hitting the edge in one spot as i rotated it to make sure I was making it even.
    Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement-20131027_041800.jpg

the end.
    Last edited by vicflo; 10-27-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Changed title for more sense making
    ««ѴιςғĿδ»»

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.
    I'd rather be happy than right any day! Live the dream!

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

Very impressive.

By "popping off," what do you mean? That is, I'm trying to get a read on the exact problem you solved.

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by IBCR Media View Post
    Very impressive.

By "popping off," what do you mean? That is, I'm trying to get a read on the exact problem you solved.
    oh stripped threads + prefer the v2 look. i was just going to put this on the stripped 510 thread but would have been weird for people to scroll all the way down 2 pages to a how to.

i realized too late that the threads on smoketech cartos are like several nanometers narrower than other cartos/atomizers. plus i happened to push myself up from my couch one day and put pressure right where the atomizer and vamo meet and it just came right off... was never the same ever since. Any top heavy atomizer would just fall off if i just swung it the wrong way.
    JohnnyDill likes this.
    ««ѴιςғĿδ»»

Hey thanks Vicflo for following through with those pics!! Nice job!! I like the V3/V5 top with removable ring myself, plus I believe the well is bigger on the V3/V5 top so that certain devices like the T3 don't need an adapter. But this guide will work for V3/V5 tops too when they become available. (Thankfully my V3 threads are fine so far but was really interested to see that V5 top come off.) Also good to know about the Smoktech carto threads being narrower and causing issues!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vicflo View Post

i realized too late that the threads on smoketech cartos are like several nanometers narrower than other cartos/atomizers. ......
    Vicflo, I am glad someone else noticed this. I use Artemas Tanks with Smoketech flanged 3.0 Ohm single punched cartos from Crystal Clear Vaping and although they say they are 510 threads, I find them very loose on ALL of my devices. I love (most) of their tank cartos, but hate that you need to screw them extremely tight in order to avoid any wobble. I solved the problem short term with a 510 to 510/Ego adapter with a spring loaded center pin. Using that adapter, I can screw the carto down very tight to avoid wobble.

Nice Job on the top replacement. Thanks for posting

The Old Wabbit

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please Please PUUUUHLEEEEESE!

Provide more detailed pictures of the V3 head and the connector, would it be possible to say get a machinist that knows how to cut threads make another 510/eGo connector and replace a stripped/bad one? My brother could pump out HUNDREDS of replacement 510/eGo connectors in stainless steel or even titanium...the biggest thing would be can it be removed and replaced easily or is it one piece?

Thank you SOOOO much for that how-to and pictorial walkthru on the head removal...I believe that is the first time we have actually seen the top cap on the V3 removed! (the battery tube on the beauty ring threads was freeking GENIUS!!!!!!!)

Is your V5 threads stripped or you just wanted to replace it? (there was a rash of V3 stripped heads that seemed to come out in batches)

Would you be willing to make a video?
    Last edited by WarHawk-AVG; 10-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    vicflo likes this.

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

Where do you find V2 top caps for $4 shipped?
    I only know 2 shops in the UK offering them for 6.99 british pounds plus 14.50 pounds shipping.
    That´s $34.60

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Thommi View Post
    Where do you find V2 top caps for $4 shipped?
    I only know 2 shops in the UK offering them for 6.99 british pounds plus 14.50 pounds shipping.
    That´s $34.60
    from here but it seems they are out of stock and the price has gone up $2. not sure how much international shipping is for them though.
    ««ѴιςғĿδ»»

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WarHawk-AVG View Post
    Please Please PUUUUHLEEEEESE!

Provide more detailed pictures of the V3 head and the connector, would it be possible to say get a machinist that knows how to cut threads make another 510/eGo connector and replace a stripped/bad one? My brother could pump out HUNDREDS of replacement 510/eGo connectors in stainless steel or even titanium...the biggest thing would be can it be removed and replaced easily or is it one piece?

Thank you SOOOO much for that how-to and pictorial walkthru on the head removal...I believe that is the first time we have actually seen the top cap on the V3 removed! (the battery tube on the beauty ring threads was freeking GENIUS!!!!!!!)

Is your V5 threads stripped or you just wanted to replace it? (there was a rash of V3 stripped heads that seemed to come out in batches)

Would you be willing to make a video?
    oh my bad i just saw this. i mean if he was going to machine it its probably worth it to just buy one to check out? I thought I threw the v5 top somewhere but its nowhere to be seen... i honestly dont remember throwing it away either.

im not a very big video person lol.
    ««ѴιςғĿδ»»

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast