Vamo v5 on order, did I order the right batteries to stack? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Vamo v5 on order, did I order the right batteries to stack?

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutescream View Post
    I have a vamo v3, granted... But, I was under the impression that the battery cap will no screw on all the way, if you stack button tops?
    Mine does. So does V2. The batteries are even with the bottom of the tubes but there's space in the cap for the compressed spring.

$2453 spent on ecigs. Join http://www.casaa.org/ protect your ability to vape.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Mine does. So does V2. The batteries are even with the bottom of the tubes but there's space in the cap for the compressed spring.
    Huh. Even flat tops run a little (not much, but enough where I was sketchy about trying button tops) beyond the end of the tube when stacked on mine.

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutescream View Post
    Huh. Even flat tops run a little (not much, but enough where I was sketchy about trying button tops) beyond the end of the tube when stacked on mine.
    Mine are button. There may be .5-1mm sticking out, too close for my eyes without light (and this is the first time I had cause to look in the light ).

ECF Moderator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I can stack two 18350 batts in the Vamo V5 no issues (so far although I stopped stacking when I got a couple of 18650's)

Mine are flat topped mind, but seems like there would be plenty spare space if they were buttons.

I find a single 18650 does me over stacking, I never made use of the extra voltage anyway.

Registered Supplier Team ECF (folding@home) powerband's Avatar

2 18350's will stack in the V5 and it works great!

Registered Supplier Team ECF (folding@home) powerband's Avatar

I stack mine w/a button top in the bottom and a flat top on the top (fits in the tube w/less stress on the spring compared to 2 button tops) works great. I don't run that high of wattage but the duration of the supply is awesome!

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    I stack mine w/a button top in the bottom and a flat top on the top (fits in the tube w/less stress on the spring compared to 2 button tops) works great. I don't run that high of wattage but the duration of the supply is awesome!
    You can't rotate them doing that.

Senior Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    You can't rotate them doing that.
    Why would you need to rotate them at all ?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves anyway while they're running paired as a stack ?
    So why would alternating which one is on top have be beneficial to the paired stack ?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by fogging_katrider View Post
    Why would you need to rotate them at all ?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves anyway while they're running paired as a stack ?
    So why would alternating which one is on top have be beneficial to the paired stack ?
    The theory is that battery closest to the positive post drains faster. From personal experience I have found no truth to that theory.

But regarding what you said about "wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves" - no, that doesn't happen on any level and it's important, especially if people try to stack batteries in a mechanical. One battery will almost always hit low voltage before the other one does. An APV that is going to shut down when it sees 6.4 volts in stacked mode has no way of knowing if one of those batteries is still providing 3.8 volts - while the other one is all the way down to 2.6 volts. All it's seeing is the total series voltage output coming off the stack. In a mechanical there is no electronic monitoring at all, so the risk of that spread between two different batteries as they discharge can be even worse the further you push discharging them.

That's why you need to keep them in matched pairs and monitor battery voltages to make sure they are still remaining as reasonably close as possible to a matched pair over time. If one battery keeps depleting a lot lower and faster than the other one that's when bad things start happening to battery chemistry.
    Last edited by Rickajho; 03-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Myk and fogging_katrider like this.

Senior Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickajho View Post
    The theory is that battery closest to the positive post drains faster. From personal experience I have found no truth to that theory.

But regarding what you said about "wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves" - no, that doesn't happen on any level and it's important, especially if people try to stack batteries in a mechanical. One battery will almost always hit low voltage before the other one does. An APV that is going to shut down when it sees 6.4 volts in stacked mode has no way of know if one of those batteries is still providing 3.8 volts - while the other one is all the way down to 2.6 volts. All it's seeing is the total series voltage output coming off the stack. In a mechanical there is no electronic monitoring at all, so the risk of that spread between two different batteries as they discharge can be even worse the further you push discharging them.

That's why you need to keep them in matched pairs and monitor battery voltages to make sure they are still remaining as reasonably close as possible to a matched pair over time. If one battery keeps depleting a lot lower and faster than the other one that's when bad things start happening to battery chemistry.
    Thanks Rickajho,
    Thats a great reason not to stack in a mech, and even better reasoning why it would be pretty irresponsible to mech without a protected battery.

Obviously though, normal due diligence and double checking the voltages after charging (and resting) batteries should show the user any batteries that are questionable and need retirement. Paired batteries in good health should push each other somewhat staying equalized within reason.

As for myself, I wouldnt stack in a mech and wont even run one without a kick, as I have zero desire or need to venture into sub'ing either.
    Last edited by fogging_katrider; 03-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    Rickajho likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast