Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bad Threads - What did I buy?

  1. #1
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    OBDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of Ocean Beach, San Diego, California
    Posts
    340

    Default Bad Threads - What did I buy?

    I've been hearing all sorts of people bashing VAMO for junk threads since I bought mine (it's been in slowtech limbo for weeks and I don't have it yet)...can someone tell me if I bought the "bad" VAMO or the "good" version?

    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1354104

    I've never had an issue with thrashing threads on any of my Egos, even cheap knockoff versions, so I don't know what's genuine concern and what's just people with money bashing people who are on a budget...

    $1810 deep in vape toys and now an interweb shopping addict...so close to saving money!

  2. #2
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Lessifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    I don't think you got the stainless steel version, the link you posted went to a black chrome one. Chances are the threads will be somewhat soft, but if you're careful with it, it should be fine. Don't wiggle anything you put on top of it, and try not to drop it. I tweaked the threads of my first vamo and couldn't get anything to screw into it after that. For my second one I bought an airflow control ring that screws into the 510 connector, and then you screw your atomizer into that, just as an extra protection.
    OBDave and EBates like this.

    Avid micro coil enthusiast. #adultslikeflavors

  3. #3
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    balwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Colorado, United States
    Posts
    676
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBDave View Post
    I've been hearing all sorts of people bashing VAMO for junk threads since I bought mine (it's been in slowtech limbo for weeks and I don't have it yet)...can someone tell me if I bought the "bad" VAMO or the "good" version?

    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1354104

    I've never had an issue with thrashing threads on any of my Egos, even cheap knockoff versions, so I don't know what's genuine concern and what's just people with money bashing people who are on a budget...
    We have a total of 6 vamo at our house and have been using them for about a year now. None of them has ever had a problem with threads. 5 of them came from ft.
    OBDave and JohnnyDill like this.
    Live, laugh, and love each day, it's what makes life worth living! Bobbi


  4. #4
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    OBDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of Ocean Beach, San Diego, California
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Lessifer - Thanks! When you say no wiggles, should I screw my toppers on snug even if they're getting a connection partially screwed on? I've been under the impression that I should only crank a topper down until it connects, even if there's a little wiggle that's a better place to be than forcing a connection pin down too far. If you can confirm I need to take the opposite approach great, and thanks again for the insight!

    Balwin - appreciate the second vote of confidence! I've actually got two of these kits en route, one for me and one for the wife...

    $1810 deep in vape toys and now an interweb shopping addict...so close to saving money!

  5. #5
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Rickajho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    7,222

    Default

    Problems with VAMO threads have been reported here. Problems with people needing to take Vise Grips to a device to get it off their PV have been reported as well... If you gorilla any PV badly enough you can ruin the threads - even on a Provari.

    I've had a chrome V2 for over half a year and have had no problems with the threading.

  6. #6
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Lessifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBDave View Post
    Lessifer - Thanks! When you say no wiggles, should I screw my toppers on snug even if they're getting a connection partially screwed on? I've been under the impression that I should only crank a topper down until it connects, even if there's a little wiggle that's a better place to be than forcing a connection pin down too far. If you can confirm I need to take the opposite approach great, and thanks again for the insight!

    Balwin - appreciate the second vote of confidence! I've actually got two of these kits en route, one for me and one for the wife...
    No, sorry, I wasn't clear. Never tighten anything down too tight, usually a good finger tight is good enough. When I said don't wiggle stuff on top I meant once something is screwed in, try not to move it too much. I'm pretty sure I started the downfall of the threads on my first vamo by repeatedly removing the top cap of my aga-t while it was screwed in, basically pushing the entire thing to one side, over and over again. I made it worse with my rebuildable dripping atomizer, the cap was even harder to take off, so more stressing of the threads by pushing the topper to the side. The nail in the coffin was when I dropped it, it landed tank down and the tank popped right out of the threads and nothing ever screwed in again.
    OBDave likes this.

    Avid micro coil enthusiast. #adultslikeflavors

  7. #7
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    OBDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of Ocean Beach, San Diego, California
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickajho View Post
    Problems with VAMO threads have been reported here. Problems with people needing to take Vise Grips to a device to get it off their PV have been reported as well... If you gorilla any PV badly enough you can ruin the threads - even on a Provari.

    I've had a chrome V2 for over half a year and have had no problems with the threading.
    I would never over-tighten to that extent, though I'll probably acquire a padded carry case for my wife, who throws PVs in her purse and wonders why they come home mangled, "even though the power was off."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lessifer View Post
    No, sorry, I wasn't clear. Never tighten anything down too tight, usually a good finger tight is good enough. When I said don't wiggle stuff on top I meant once something is screwed in, try not to move it too much. I'm pretty sure I started the downfall of the threads on my first vamo by repeatedly removing the top cap of my aga-t while it was screwed in, basically pushing the entire thing to one side, over and over again. I made it worse with my rebuildable dripping atomizer, the cap was even harder to take off, so more stressing of the threads by pushing the topper to the side. The nail in the coffin was when I dropped it, it landed tank down and the tank popped right out of the threads and nothing ever screwed in again.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification! Worse comes to worst, I'm out $50 and I've acquired a $20 charger and $6 battery, so if I kill the mod my world doesn't end - I'll decide if it's that much more awesome than an Ego twist and, if so, spend more to get a better quality device next go-round.

    $1810 deep in vape toys and now an interweb shopping addict...so close to saving money!

  8. #8
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    OBDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of Ocean Beach, San Diego, California
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Lessifer - more for you...I've got some IGO-W's on order, which will require significant wiggling as you describe. In your opinion, might I be able to grab the base and hold it firm while popping the body off the atty to drip, or should I remove the atty completely whenever I need to drip? Sorry if this is too detailed if you're not familiar with the atty I'm talking about...

    $1810 deep in vape toys and now an interweb shopping addict...so close to saving money!

  9. #9
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Lessifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBDave View Post
    Lessifer - more for you...I've got some IGO-W's on order, which will require significant wiggling as you describe. In your opinion, might I be able to grab the base and hold it firm while popping the body off the atty to drip, or should I remove the atty completely whenever I need to drip? Sorry if this is too detailed if you're not familiar with the atty I'm talking about...
    With the igow, you won't be able to remove the top cap without it screwed into something, BUT you should only need to remove the top cap when you are rebuilding it or otherwise messing with the wick/coil. For dripping you can either drip through your drip tip or just remove the drip tip and drip through the hole in the top cap.

    What I ended up doing was using an old dead ego battery as a holder whenever I was going to be rebuilding. Some places sell 510 threaded stands that you can use for rebuilding also.
    OBDave likes this.

    Avid micro coil enthusiast. #adultslikeflavors

  10. #10
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    OBDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of Ocean Beach, San Diego, California
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lessifer View Post
    With the igow, you won't be able to remove the top cap without it screwed into something, BUT you should only need to remove the top cap when you are rebuilding it or otherwise messing with the wick/coil. For dripping you can either drip through your drip tip or just remove the drip tip and drip through the hole in the top cap.

    What I ended up doing was using an old dead ego battery as a holder whenever I was going to be rebuilding. Some places sell 510 threaded stands that you can use for rebuilding also.
    Lessifer likes this.

    $1810 deep in vape toys and now an interweb shopping addict...so close to saving money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks