New Vamo v5 setup - have I done my research right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Vamo v5 setup - have I done my research right?

  1. #1
    Full Member ECF Veteran JamJarPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    139

    Smile New Vamo v5 setup - have I done my research right?

    Hi
    I'm planning to get a Vamo V5 (Stainless Steel version). With genuine AW IMR 18650 batteries (button top) & using an Xtar VP1 recharger. I'll be using it with Protanks (at least initially). I'm thinking of getting this Vamo $32.43 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping from Fasttech.

    1. Any comments or concerns about my setup?
    2. Can I expect a big difference in the vape itself (currently using eGo-C upgrade batteries with Protanks)? Or will it be much the same?
    3. Quite concerned about the thread issue (that's why I've gone for Stainless Steel) & also the spring issue. Any opinions on the one I've chosen, has anyone bought the SS one from Fasttech recently? Anyone had problems with a Fasttech Vamo v5 SS?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ultra Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garland, Tx, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamJarPenguin View Post
    Hi
    I'm planning to get a Vamo V5 (Stainless Steel version). With genuine AW IMR 18650 batteries (button top) & using an Xtar VP1 recharger. I'll be using it with Protanks (at least initially). I'm thinking of getting this Vamo $32.43 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping from Fasttech.

    1. Any comments or concerns about my setup?
    2. Can I expect a big difference in the vape itself (currently using eGo-C upgrade batteries with Protanks)? Or will it be much the same?
    3. Quite concerned about the thread issue (that's why I've gone for Stainless Steel) & also the spring issue. Any opinions on the one I've chosen, has anyone bought the SS one from Fasttech recently? Anyone had problems with a Fasttech Vamo v5 SS?

    Thanks
    I own 4 Vamos, wife has 4 Vamos, v2 - 2 ss, 1 brass, 2 aluminum, v3 - 2 ss, v5 - 1 ss

    Your setup sounds good but Fasttech doesn't do AW batteries, and Xtar charger shows Discontinued according to the site. Panasonic batts and Nitecore charger?

    Of all of the vamos I've used, I think the aluminum v2 is the best. Lighter, threads are solid, to me it just works better and it's cheapest of the vamos. Your Results May Vary.

    The V5 will arrive set to Mean mode, change this setting to RMS. Press and hold the (-) button down for approx 10 seconds, at approx 3 sec the battery volts will be displayed then at 10 sec the display will show "Output Mean" or "Output RMS". Release the button and repeat until "Output RMS" is displayed. The User Manual you May receive does not mention this setting.
    If you do not receive a user manual I've got pdf versions of the v3 & v5 manuals I'll share with you.

    You may not pick it up, so I'll admit it, I am a vamo fan.

    Switching from an ego-c to a vamo should offer a new level of control over your vaping. I choose to use VW mode and recommend it, but it's your new toy. Play with it.
    Verify that the threads are good first thing. After that play nice and so will your vamo. As for the spring issue, that's a dead issue. The spring was updated before I got the first one over 8mo ago.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quite concerned about the thread issue (that's why I've gone for Stainless Steel)
    If you're talking about the ego/510 connector, all the vamos have the same chrome plated brass connector.
    IOW...the aluminum v2's through the chrome brass v5's and including the ss models ALL have the same plated brass ego/510 connector piece.

    hth
    350ZMO likes this.

  4. #4
    Full Member ECF Veteran JamJarPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBates View Post
    I own 4 Vamos, wife has 4 Vamos, v2 - 2 ss, 1 brass, 2 aluminum, v3 - 2 ss, v5 - 1 ss

    Your setup sounds good but Fasttech doesn't do AW batteries, and Xtar charger shows Discontinued according to the site. Panasonic batts and Nitecore charger?
    I only said I'm buying the Vamo at Fasttech.

    If you do not receive a user manual I've got pdf versions of the v3 & v5 manuals I'll share with you.
    That's really kind thanks


    Switching from an ego-c to a vamo should offer a new level of control over your vaping. I choose to use VW mode and recommend it, but it's your new toy. Play with it.
    I don't want to play with it. I just want it to vape. But I really appreciate the help thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by fogging_katrider View Post
    If you're talking about the ego/510 connector, all the vamos have the same chrome plated brass connector.
    IOW...the aluminum v2's through the chrome brass v5's and including the ss models ALL have the same plated brass ego/510 connector piece.
    All over the forums they are saying buy the ss because the threads are better. Strange.

    -----------------------------------------
    If anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful

    2. Can I expect a big difference in the vape itself (currently using eGo-C upgrade batteries with Protanks)? Or will it be much the same?
    3. Quite concerned about the thread issue (that's why I've gone for Stainless Steel) & also the spring issue. Any opinions on the one I've chosen, from someone who has bought the Vamo V5 model in SS from Fasttech recently? Anyone had problems with a Fasttech Vamo v5 SS?
    also
    4. Any problems with me using button tops over flat tops?
    Last edited by JamJarPenguin; 03-03-2014 at 07:53 PM.

  5. #5
    Ultra Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garland, Tx, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamJarPenguin View Post
    I only said I'm buying the Vamo at Fasttech.


    That's really kind thanks


    I don't want to play with it. I just want it to vape. But I really appreciate the help thanks



    All over the forums they are saying buy the ss because the threads are better. Strange.

    -----------------------------------------
    If anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful

    2. Can I expect a big difference in the vape itself (currently using eGo-C upgrade batteries with Protanks)? Or will it be much the same?
    3. Quite concerned about the thread issue (that's why I've gone for Stainless Steel) & also the spring issue. Any opinions on the one I've chosen, from someone who has bought the Vamo V5 model in SS [b]from Fasttech recently?[b/] Anyone had problems with a Fasttech Vamo v5 SS?
    also
    4. Any problems with me using button tops over flat tops?
    The stainless steel comment is one of the reasons wife and I own so many ss vamos. But, oddly enough all of the vamos that I've been aware of with thread problems have been SS vamos.
    On your order I just ASSumed. LOL

    I've not used AW BTs but have used Pany, Samsung, Tangsfire, Ultrafire with no problem. When stacking 18350's i'd recommend FTs to prevent having to force the battery cap on. Tried this once just to see how it worked.
    Last edited by EBates; 03-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.

  6. #6
    PV Master Verified Member edyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Posts
    6,950
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Can I expect a big difference in the vape itself (currently using eGo-C upgrade batteries with Protanks)?
    You cannot set your power level with the plain ego battery.
    The the vamo and such tubes, you can.

  7. #7
    Super Member Verified Member ILoveNorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nor•Cal
    Posts
    396

    Default

    My Vamo V5 w/ ProTank 3 is still my go to device. coming from an eGo -C you will be very pleased.

  8. #8
    Full Member ECF Veteran JamJarPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edyle View Post
    You cannot set your power level with the plain ego battery.
    The the vamo and such tubes, you can.
    Yes I'm aware that my eGo doesn't allow me to set the power & the Vamo v5 does.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveNorCal View Post
    My Vamo V5 w/ ProTank 3 is still my go to device. coming from an eGo -C you will be very pleased.
    Why will I be pleased?
    Last edited by JamJarPenguin; 03-03-2014 at 08:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Full Member ECF Veteran JamJarPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBates View Post
    The stainless steel comment is one of the reasons wife and I own so many ss vamos. But, oddly enough all of the vamos that I've been aware of with thread problems have been SS vamos.
    On your order I just ASSumed. LOL

    I've not used AW BTs but have used Pany, Samsung, Tangsfire, Ultrafire with no problem. When stacking 18350's i'd recommend FTs to prevent having to force the battery cap on. Tried this once just to see how it worked.
    Yeah I won't be stacking anything as I said in the OP I'll be buying IMR 18650's. Weird about the Stainless steel thing. I wonder why so many have been saying the SS is a safer bet. How is the vape though? How is it different (if it is) from an ego?

  10. #10
    PV Master Verified Member edyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Posts
    6,950
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamJarPenguin View Post
    Yes I'm aware that my eGo doesn't allow me to set the power & the Vamo v5 does.


    Why will I be pleased?
    No, you'll raise the power too high and burn your juice;

    But maybe after a few days you'll figure out what power to use with what tank with what juice.

    Rule of thumb: use 5 watts for a standard commercial single coil like what comes on the protank.

    VG seems to work better at lower wattage than PG in my experience.


    Start low and go up; once you burn something, the taste doesn't go away for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks