Cleaning Smileomizers with rubbing alcohol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cleaning Smileomizers with rubbing alcohol

Question Cleaning Smileomizers with rubbing alcohol

Hi -

I always see the recommendation to clean smileomizers with vodka.

I have been using rubbing alcohol because it seems to be more cost efficient . It also has been working very well.

Is there any reason why it is suggested to use vodka instead of this method?

Ultra Member* Verified Member AmandaD's Avatar

I'm assuming 'smileomizer's are a form of clearomizers? LOL

You don't use rubbing alcohol because it's hard to get the taste out properly - you wouldn't drink it, after all. I use either dental tablets (for cleaning dentures) or vodka, and rinse afterwards. Also, I may be wrong, but I think rubbing alcohol is harder on gaskets and plastic.

I just Googled to see what they are - maybe a sort of carto? If so, don't use dental cleaner either - just vodka imo!
    Last edited by AmandaD; 02-16-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaD View Post
    I'm assuming 'smileomizer's are a form of clearomizers? LOL

You don't use rubbing alcohol because it's hard to get the taste out properly - you wouldn't drink it, after all. I use either dental tablets (for cleaning dentures) or vodka, and rinse afterwards. Also, I may be wrong, but I think rubbing alcohol is harder on gaskets and plastic.

I just Googled to see what they are - maybe a sort of carto? If so, don't use dental cleaner either - just vodka imo!
    I'm still not sure why just vodka. I have had no trouble with taste as I do a full 24-hour rinse with water afterwards. Also, there are no plastic components and I found no degradation of the product in the few times I have done this.

The only logical reason for me would be the possible contaminants being inhaled by residuals? But I don't know...

I think it's potentially pretty dangerous. It used to be that homeless people drank rubbing alcohol as a cheap form of alcohol and had all sorts of fatalities - and blindness. I would't do it, most particularly with something that has filler material. As an example of why it's bad:

What Are the Dangers of Inhaling Rubbing Alcohol? | eHow

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaD View Post
    I think it's potentially pretty dangerous. It used to be that homeless people drank rubbing alcohol as a cheap form of alcohol and had all sorts of fatalities - and blindness. I would't do it, most particularly with something that has filler material. As an example of why it's bad:

What Are the Dangers of Inhaling Rubbing Alcohol? | eHow
    Right on. I actually just read that article before I saw your post Guess its a CHEAP vodka bath from here on out.
    AmandaD likes this.

Yeah, when I use vodka I use the really cheap stuff! You can also use Everclear - but that was more expensive than cheap vodka in my local store!
    Scott McVap3r likes this.

Krazee Kat Laydee/Guru X2 Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

There are other ingredients in Rubbing alcohol that could cause problems, too... which is why they suggest using PGA (pure grain alcohol) or something like Everclear/Vodka. But I have been using the 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean my attys and clearos for over 3 yrs. now without any problems...

After soaking them, I rinse them in HOT water, and then let them air-dry overnight...

(btw, they don't sell Everclear here in CA... and why waste good Vodka??)

Quote Originally Posted by spacekitty View Post
    After soaking them, I rinse them in HOT water, and then let them air-dry overnight...

(btw, they don't sell Everclear here in CA... and why waste good Vodka??)
    Ah, that is why I will not be wasting GOOD vodka. No Grey Goose for this chore.

By the way, after more research, I have read that Ethyl based rubbing alcohol is safer than the Isopropyl base. Just for your consideration.
    spacekitty likes this.

Krazee Kat Laydee/Guru X2 Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McVap3r View Post
    Ah, that is why I will not be wasting GOOD vodka. No Grey Goose for this chore.

By the way, after more research, I have read that Ethyl based rubbing alcohol is safer than the Isopropyl base. Just for your consideration.
    I'll have to check into the ethyl based stuff... Thanks!!
    But the 91% Isopropyl I use is NOT rubbing alcohol... which is only about 70%.
    You can usually find it in the drug store right next to the Rubbing alcohol, and it's a little more expensive...

Idiot Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Scott sir the fumes from isopropyl alcohol can damage your lungs, no better reason than that on why you shouldn't use it. Ethyl alcohol is a different story, why people suggest using vodka or the like. Any high abv ethyl alcohol (70% and above) will evaporate quickly and is safe to use as it is to drink (in moderation).
    "Everyone loves a revolution, all the liberty they bring, everyone loves a revolution, one man's chain is another man's key, you never know what you'll get when tyrants fall... A revolution just a circle after all."- ilyAIMY "Revolutions Per Minute"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast