Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree310Likes

Thread: GP-Heron : Setup Pictorial √

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Cool GP-Heron : Setup Pictorial √

HERON : Microcoil & Cotton build
    ~A simple setup that does the trick, effortlessly!

Well, did many setups over the testing period and noticed that two builds really shines thru in the Heron ~ (1)Our regular Silica with a Kanthal Coil and (2)A Microcoil with Cotton Yarn. I prefer the Microcoils for many reasons (discussed earlier) and here's how I did it on the Heron.

Preparation

WASHING, CLEANING AND WORK LAYOUT:

HERON PARTS:

Note: It was important to name them since we'd be referring to some of the parts in the following tutorial.

Coiling

MICROCOIL PREPARED & MOUNTED:

Note: 28AWG Kanthal, 8 wraps over a regular toothpick.

MICROCOIL RESISTANCE CHECK:

Note: A coil.

MICROCOIL AIRWAY SPACING & TEST FIRED:

Note: The coil is terminalled with it's legs in the bottom plane (graphic below) and in line with the screws. Thus maintaining a roughly 2mm air-way at the bottom (closeup below).

COIL AIR-WAY SPACING CLOSEUP:

Note: There is roughly a 2mm gap between the deck's air channel and the bottom of the coil.

Wicking

INSERTING YARN INTO THE COIL AND SIZE OF THE WICK LOOP:

Note: I prefer S'n'C Cotton Yarn on the Heron. I tried the regular Cotton Ball/s too, but found them trickling down excessive juice, akin to flooding. Probably could have played with the thickness of the wick to have a consistent feed, but the yarn does the trick without any need for tinkering. Also note the roughly 15mm length of the feeding loop.

Caution: Lily's S'n'C Cotton Yarn needs pre-boiling. Pls see >HERE< for my pictorial on it's preparation.

TRIMMING WICK TAILS AND FINAL LOOK OF THE WICK:

Note: The tails of the wick has been cut to roughly 5mm. This is the length which would 'sit' inside the 'well' of the deck.

MICROCOIL & WICK CLOSEUP:

Note: The small piece of folded wire is still kept attached to the loop. This will help in inserting the loop thru the wick hole of the Chamber 'Lid'.

WICK JUICED UP:

BUILD TEST FIRED:

Assembling

ASSEMBLING THE CHAMBER CAP (WITH CHAMBER "LID" REMOVED):

Note: The Chamber Cap could be split into two parts ~ removing it's top-cap (a disc) with two holes. Don't try screwing-in the Chamber Cap with the wick loop, else you'll be damaging your coil. Yep, been there - done that

CHAMBER "LID" PLACEMENT WITH PROTRUDING LOOP (AND IT'S SIZE):

PROTRUDING LOOP'S CLOSEUP AND MEASUREMENT:

Note: The protruding wick loop is roughly 5mm long. That is sufficient to 'touch' our fluff for continuous feeding.

Tanking

CUTTING & SIZING THE FLUFF, AND WRAPPING IT ON THE CHIMNEY TUBE:

Note: I have cut a piece of the GP-Fluff to roughly 60mm x 20mm size. I've played with various lengths and found this size to be sufficient for proper juice containment and feed. However remember, this length is for the GP-Fluff ~ other filler materials (viz. Juwel, Sera, Acurel etc.) will require different lengths due to their varied density.

TANK TUBE FITTED WITH BELL SECTION CONTAINING THE FLUFF AND FILLING JUICE:

Note: Roughly holds about 3.4ml of juice.

INSIDE THE JUICED TANK AND HERON FULLY ASSEMBLED:

Note: Pls check the saturation level of the fluff in the picture. A good aspect of the Heron is that it's tank section is sealed ~ it could thus take a few ml more and might not create a/ny issue if we vape it off immediately. However, if the fluff remains excessively saturated overnight - it might leak into the chamber and flood it. Which will either gurgle or further seep outwards thru the base's air-channel.

HERON & LUX: SIZE COMPARISON WITH OTHER 18350 MODS:

Performance
    The Heron vapes really well. Every build that I put into it - worked perfectly. However, this setup ~ the Microcoil & Cotton Yarn works effortlessly. The VTF is rock solid ~ very akin to it's senior but sleeker sibling, the Spheroid, when adorned with the same build. In a scale of 1-10 ~ this build could be rated as: Vapor = 9, Throat Hit = 8, Flavor = 8.5. It'd tho depend on the building variables between different persons, but honestly it wouldn't falter much and yet offer a very satisfying vape experience. I am seriously stupefied by the quality of vape the Heron doles out, especially with a Microcoil & Cotton. And it is easy, as well as simple to build. A novice might be awestruck initially due to the various parts involved (the Spheroid was otherwise), however a medium to senior vaper will love it.

BOTTOMLINE:
    This is a fantastic device. It is everything what our loveable Spheroid is and takes it to another level viz. it's wider size, thus more juice capacity and ease of building (aka deck real estate). Team-GP has designed it well and it conforms to their philosophy of "Less is More" with a superior build quality and outstanding performance.

Thank you Vapour Art for making the Heron happen!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    What is the Heron? Pls check Vapour Art's thread on it for further info : GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Heron
    pt91, VapinBill, the ob and 23 others like this.
    Paps, Piccolo, Knight-SE, Kiss-QE, G16, Hammer, BaGua17 & Ti, JM16, Stingray-X & Black, IQ Hybrid, Sirius2, P'vari, Vari-Mini, WAE2, bOd, VS-DNA, Vaper-V4 / Erlkönigin, Prometey1 & 2, KFL, K-Mini, eBaron, R91 Black, Spheroid, Aqua, Estia, Scuba-QE, GVTT, Sophia, Diver2, Killer705, Senio-D, Aiolos-T

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran perseas's Avatar

Thank you so much Stan for the time you dedicated to make this thorough pictorial and I am thrilled of your accurate descriptions!
    Last edited by perseas; 02-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    pt91, the ob, wongster360 and 6 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You set a new standard for a pictorial; I'm overwhelm. well done.
    the ob, Tinben, GB023 and 1 others like this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Fantastic tutorial, thanks quorax!

Can't wait to get my Heron in now!

Best,

Ozy
    the ob, GB023 and qorax like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, it just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

Either way, the Heron looks awesome and I'm sure I'll figure something out as far as the cotton balls go I can be a vaping Macgyver quite often ^^
    GB023 and qorax like this.
    Mods: AXIS, Slug, XXIX
    Atties: Taifun GT, PlumeVeil, Hobo RDA

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran perseas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pathology View Post
    Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, it just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

Either way, the Heron looks awesome and I'm sure I'll figure something out as far as the cotton balls go I can be a vaping Macgyver quite often ^^
    Silica build is the quickest setup for me, you need to torch the wick beforehand, make a lasso style and pass from a lighter's flame the wire too, the rest is trivial.
    GB023, bots, Pathology and 1 others like this.

ECF Veteran

I'll probably give silica a shot until I figure out how to wick it with a cotton ball (which is my preferred wicking method).

I just don't prefer the taste of my DIY juices on silica verses cotton.

This may not be the case for the Heron because its a whole new animal from what I'm used to
    GB023 and qorax like this.

ECF Veteran

Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, SnC yarn just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

I just noticed I made a boo-boo on this post. Maybe that caused some confusion lol...... Sounded like I was talking about silica on that part, when I was talking about the SnC yarn.
    qorax and StrikeIII like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I just noticed I made a boo-boo on this post. Maybe that caused some confusion lol...... Sounded like I was talking about silica on that part, when I was talking about the SnC yarn.
    No worries. I understood you were talking about the S'n'C since you hinted at 'boiling'. No one'd boil Silica, would they? As re: Cotton Ball/s ~ pls go ahead with that media. I had success with it too. Just that you may need a bit of extra density of the fibrous cotton than what you are used too.

Remember, this is a sealed tank with a hole to drip juice. Unlike the Spheroid. Thus, an entire gamut of pressure system is working besides gravity, which could be tad tricky to handle.
    perseas, GB023, Pathology and 2 others like this.
    Paps, Piccolo, Knight-SE, Kiss-QE, G16, Hammer, BaGua17 & Ti, JM16, Stingray-X & Black, IQ Hybrid, Sirius2, P'vari, Vari-Mini, WAE2, bOd, VS-DNA, Vaper-V4 / Erlkönigin, Prometey1 & 2, KFL, K-Mini, eBaron, R91 Black, Spheroid, Aqua, Estia, Scuba-QE, GVTT, Sophia, Diver2, Killer705, Senio-D, Aiolos-T

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thank you Qorax, great build tutorial. I know how time consuming these can be...we all appreciate it bro...
    perseas, qorax and rodsky77 like this.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast