Why does juice change colors in tank? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why does juice change colors in tank?

Super Member ECF Veteran Maestro's Avatar

In my Stardust, the juice absolutely gets much darker. I'm assuming it's the heated juice at the coil wicking backwards into the tank. It tastes just as good and I don't think it's burnt. The coil doesn't get hot enough to burn anything while it's wet.
    I've given up trying to be a good example and decided to settle for being a horrible warning.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Once when I was still using an ego-t I had bought some chocolate covered cherry juice that seemed to form a precipitate in the tank that was dark and cloudy looking. But this is an entirely different technology.

On occasion (w/carto tank) it has seemed that dark juice has gotten darker when the tank is nearly empty. I figure that perhaps the darker elements in the juice don't wick into the carto as well. But I have never seen clear juice get darker so I do not believe what I have seen is the result of backwash into the tank.
    Low resistance is futile!

ECF Veteran

I could also just be from the heat the carto put's off. I don't seriously see anything to be concerned with.

Good for you if your deciding to stop vaping as well. Nothing wrong with that. I just love blowing big clouds & haven't had any negative side affects that I know off. I really haven't heard of any from the vets either. Your concerns are logical though.

Lol, what ever you do, don't cut open a old carto & look in the diaper!
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Full Member Verified Member

If your using DIY e-juice. flavors like vanilla, butterscotch will darken over time.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

I'm using a Vision Stone Tank, no polyfill. Both peach/pineapple and Yikes Stripes "Flux" juice from Gotvapes turn dark in it. I assumed it was something to do with the sweetness, maybe partial carmelization?. The sweeter of the two, the "Yikes Stripes", turns extremely dark. I could hardly tell it from some DIY Chocolate Mint I had in another VS tank.

ECF Veteran

I thought it was nicotene in contact with air. , of course when there is less juice in the tank, the air volume is greater.

My tanks are SmokTech, and it does the same with clearer type juices. Haven't really paid attention to darker ones.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
    I'm vaping burnt juice, wow. It sure does taste good but this is another reason I will be giving up vaping soon. Theres just not enough information on the side effects of vaping or long term damage, if any. Who knows, but I'm not willing to risk it much longer.

Vaping has served its purpose and got me off the analogs and I have weened myself down to 6mg of nicotine. I will vape for a few more months and get myself down to 0 nicotine and then quit.

Burnt juice, well that explains the small brown particles I see in the clear drip tip.
    The reality is that whether you use a tank or not, you're usually vaping juice that has been burnt, it's just that with the tank you can see it.

You're right that there's not as much information on long term effects and there's no safety standards for flavors, etc. with vaping. However, for most of us the alternative is smoking not nothing. The health hazards of smoking are well known. With vaping the ingredients are known and generally regarded as safe when used other ways. That means we are choosing between one habit that is known to be dangerous and one habit that is not known to be 100% safe.

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I tend to lean towards the "Sweetner" Carmalizing. My absolute go-to juice is Wintergreen from Freedomsmoke USA. I buy this stuff in 120 bottles now. Before adding sweetner from Mrs. T's (Currently down for Maintenance) but I have noticed that discoloration too. I was at about a 1/4 tank when I filled this morning and when I filled it, I got a separation too. No change in performance, but I was worried it was the result of a burnt electrode or something. here is the picture of a 2 day old 2.0Ω (although reading 5.5Ω for some crazy reason) DCT carto running at a moderate 5.0v on my ProVari.

Ejuice mix.jpg

Ultra Member ECF Veteran GIMike's Avatar

My juice always changes color. It's just the nature of vaping. The coils build up carbon, which gets released back into the juice. Think about mufflers on a motorcycle or a BBQ grill. Anything that deals with a lot of heat usually changes color.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I just figure its the heat coming off the carto. ..Mindanao "cooking" the juice. I don't worry about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast