Tell me what is good about a Pro-vari or VV mod.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Tell me what is good about a Pro-vari or VV mod.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default Tell me what is good about a Pro-vari or VV mod.

I've been vaping almost a year now. Started out with 808 batteries, then quickly moved on to fat battery types. I'm considering going up a notch and getting a VV mod of some sort. I know eGo is now making the twisty one or whatever but I'm thinking about something maybe more durable.

So you pro-vari people, can you list out the pros and cons of owning one? Clearly the cost is substantial. Why do I need variable voltage in the first place? I have somewhat of an understanding of the concept, i.e., you can fine tune the voltage to figure out the alleged "sweet spot" but really is it that much better?

Also would like to know what you're using on the pro-vari. Tanks? Cartos? All info appreciated.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Main advantage of VV for me (and where Provari really shines) is keeping the set voltage constant. That was the only reason I personally needed.
    Some other pros (in the order I value them):
    - security features
    - build quality
    - size
    - looks
    - LCD resistance check
    - LCD battery check

Cons (for me):
    - I'd rather set watts than volts
    - ... thats pretty much it.

I'm using everything on a Provari now.
    Riverboat likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

All of the above for me, and I really like the consistency of the ProVari vape from the time I put a fully charged battery in until it's time to recharge that battery.
    I also have a Lavatube, which I still use when alternating juices during the day. The vape consistency does change (lessen) with the state of the battery, however.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

I look at VV or VW as an accessory. Do i need it in order to get a good vape? NO, but it sure is nice to have.
    RIMP likes this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The Provari is repeatable. As long as the carto lasts, you get the same vape day in and day out.

VV allows you to move up and down if you change juices. Some juices like a little more or less voltage. You can adjust in 1/10 volt increments.

The Provari is built from stainless steel with excellent machining that I would call solid craftsmanship. It looks good, feels good, and the threads are precise. It has a one year warranty, but so do some Lavatubes, depending on who you buy them from. After the warranty, you can return a Provari to be repaired. The Lavatube requires another purchase to replace after the warranty runs out.

The Provari maintains voltage at what it is set at, even with LR cartos and dual coils. Until, the new 4 amp Lavatube came out, the 2.5 amp regulator in the Lavatube wasn't enough current to support anything below 2 ohms. It dropped the voltage to compensate. We'll see if the new 4 amp model can hold its own. It probably will, since that was one of the complaints of the old one.

The bottom line for me was thinking ahead. If I can get my Provari fixed instead of buying a new one, that could be advantageous. Right now, Provape is upgrading V1 Provaris to V2 for $20 and that includes them paying for shipping back to you.

The last thing is that Provari uses IMR 18650s instead of protected 18650s. A failed protection circuit can cause venting, burns, and serious damage. The IMR 18650 can get hot, but not vent, explode, or produce flame according to most tests. I feel more comfortable with IMR batts.
    Last edited by DaveP; 05-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    RIMP and potholerepairman like this.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran BHam's Avatar

All these talks about the Provari (and not just this thread), I might have to try one.
    RIMP and DPLongo22 like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I think Malduk pretty much hit it on the head. Consistent voltage has spoiled me. After using the Provari for over a year, I've moved over to various mods that use the Kick. As I use only carto tanks, I like the fact that the variations of resistance between carto's isn't a factor any more. I set the Kick to 8 watts and I get the same vape on at any resistance from start to finish. Do you need it? Not unless you've used one because now that I have, I can't go back.
    RIMP likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

VV allows you to use ANY carto or atty you may have or want to try and still get a great vape. Many e-liquids taste so much better @ "X volts (or watts ) VV allows you to hit that "sweet spot" (and YES it exists and is very real) That being said MY sweet spot may not be close to YOUR sweet spot, so a 3.7 or 5,6,7 volt mod may or may not fit your needs, however VV can give you from 3-7v or so of variance so most any juice/atty/carto combo will be the best it can be (with some juices that is not saying a great deal) LOL
    RIMP likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Okay, there are really two questions here. The first is what's good about VV. The second is what's good about a Provari.

VV allows you to adjust how hot the element in your atomizer gets. You can simulate what it does buy trying some different resistance atomizers. However, with a VV it's more tunable. The other thing a good VV does is regulate the voltage. So, you don't get any noticeable voltage fall off as the battery is depleted. It just works well right up until the battery dies.

The Provari has a lot of cheerleaders but, whether it's for you (It's not for me.) depends on what's most important to you. The Provari was on my list but, I bought a Buzz Pro and here's why.

There are only a few things I care about. The vape, ease of use, and price. In pretty much that order. Safety, fit and finish, feel in your hand, and durability are also considerations. However, for me all of those are minimums that must be met. Once a device is beyond the minimum, anything more doesn't matter to me.

I'm satisfied with the safety, fit and finish, and durability of both the Provari and the Buzz Pro. They are both VV and they both do what a VV does. I don't use much in the way of dual coils so, the top end difference in voltage is a nice to have with the Buzz Pro but, it's not really important to me. So, I'll say the vape is about the same. Ease of use, I give to the Buzz Pro. No fiddling with menus. No looking at meters. Just a tweak of a knob. Most of the time, you can do it with your eyes closed. The Buzz Pro is less expensive than the Provari with extension tube. So, the knod goes to the Buzz Pro for price too.

You might rate some things differently than I do. This is just my way of thinking.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

Main difference between the Provari and the Buzz is the Provari is boosted (one bat), and the Buzz is regulated (two bats).
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast