Stacked batteries?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stacked batteries?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Stacked batteries?

I was wondering if the concensus was still that stacked batteries are more of a danger than single bats? I havent been on here for about 6 months but still vaping. I was looking specifically at the vmax that uses stacked batteries but recall hearing before that stacking had a higher chance of a battery blowing up. Whats the word?
    Thanks.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've been stacking batteries since I started vaping and never had an issue but I'm a bit of a stickler about it. I only use the correct battery for the application, mark my batteries, use the same two together that are purchased at the same time so they will both age together, rotate them each cycle and never let them get to low in voltage.

My personal thought is if they are used in a device with the proper safety features and the user practices the recommended guidelines for using them then they are low risk-nothing is no risk.
    If the user is the type to just put batteries in a mod and that's it then that's not a very good way to go.
    Last edited by Nomoreash; 08-13-2012 at 03:05 AM.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Stacked batteries are not dangerous, the user is.

Trying to vape at >3amps on batteries that only rated for <2A is dangerous. When done smartly, and within reason, they are no more dangerous than a single battery. Do your homework, know the specifications of your batteries and the kinds of stress that your particular style of vaping is going to put on them.

Edit: Couple of quick facts. Laptop battery packs usually have 4-6 18650's "stacked". E-bikes have dozens of 18650 or larger, "stacked". Hybrid and Full electric cars can have as many as 180 18650's ,or larger, "stacked".
    Last edited by Rader2146; 08-13-2012 at 03:21 AM.
    | Brass M16 Clone | #8 | OKR-T/6 | Trident Clone | IGO-L |
    "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rader2146 View Post
    Stacked batteries are not dangerous, the user is.

This is Very True.

Check out this Link if you don't believe us.

http://callhart.com/crazy/2010/02/co...stinking-code/
    six and Rader2146 like this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

I had two stacked 16340's burst into flames in a siam mods cube last saturday...

Nothing really bad happened.

The tube just got hot as hell and the batteries were obviously ruined.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Burst into flames, but nothing really bad happened? Flames sound pretty bad.

So did the battery explode? Or did it do what is was designed to do in the event of a failure and vent its pressure before catastrophe?

Also, how were you using this mod? Resistance? Type of batteries? Age of batteries? Sorry for all the questions, but your post doesn't add a whole lot to the discussion.
    Last edited by Rader2146; 08-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    barneyruckus likes this.
    | Brass M16 Clone | #8 | OKR-T/6 | Trident Clone | IGO-L |
    "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Wuzznt Me's Avatar
    Out delivering chlorine for the gene pool

I've got the Vmax. Bought AW imr batteries in pairs and marked them. Did recently get a pair of Efest but haven't used them yet. When they come off the charger I let them set then check the voltage on each just before I use them. I'm more afraid of the battery in my cell phone.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rader2146 View Post
    Burst into flames, but nothing really bad happened? Flames sound pretty bad.

So did the battery explode? Or did it do what is was designed to do in the event of a failure and vent its pressure before catastrophe?

Also, how were you using this mod? Resistance? Type of batteries? Age of batteries? Sorry for all the questions, but your post doesn't add a whole lot to the discussion.
    I mean no one got hurt and the cube didn't get damaged (The spring kinda collapse on itself, and I had to clean the tube to get rid of the smell of smoke though)

I used two blue 16340 joyetech batteries. (they were a couple of months old, but I only used them one time before)

Not sure what happened, the tube just got hot as hell and smoke started coming out from the vent holes.

I didn't have anything on the tube.

I had just put a fresh set of batteries in it, and it just got super hot instantly. (I mean from nothing to burning hot in maybe 2 seconds)

Don't think the batteries exploded, but I didn't really bother to check them. (the wrapping around the batteries completely melted away)
    Last edited by Modnar; 08-13-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Stacked batteries are always MORE dangerous (when used dangerously) than a single cell. Most lithium batteries from China with that shiny new label are sometimes reconditioned or used re-branded cells. Some batches of cells come from the "factory" with different capacities and therefore internal resistances. Always use two "like" cells to stack and keep them together. Charge together and drain together always. Use them in your device, and regularly check their voltages to ensure they are always similar (use for 10 minutes and ensure both are at the same 4.XX V). The danger would be to get two cells that are vastly different or of different starting charges (like a 3.5V battery paired with a fully charged cell) and have one cell reverse charge the other. Another fear would be one cell going completely dead and becoming an open circuit. A protected battery likely prevents any of the above mishaps and more 99% of the time.

Li-on safety is extremely important, but grossly over exaggerated. Just counting Cell phones and Laptops alone, there are BILLIONS of 3.7V Li-on batteries out there today that people rarely take care of at all. Did you know most laptop batteries have 6 unprotected 3.7V 18650 batteries inside of the pack? I have 25+ 18650's and about 10 Trustfire Flames total of every size available, some for over 4 years, and have yet to have a mishap, or even a dead cell thus far. These are used in high drain Flashlights that sometimes run for 30mins at 2+ amps/cell with crazy heat from the emitter. I have several 2x 18650 series lights that make 15-20W and I have not yet run into a pair of cells that didn't get along.
    Chessiesmile likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have ordered a gunmetal vamx and will follow all of the precautions suggested here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast