Voltage vs Wattage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Voltage vs Wattage

  1. #1
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    look30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kitchener/On
    Posts
    541
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Voltage vs Wattage

    What is the difference when you vape using VV or VW ?

    Please explain , noobie question I know but I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me (can't post in noob forum cause I'm too chatty .

    BTW. I am vaping on a Sigelei Telecope Zmax V3.

  2. #2
    PV Master ECF Veteran yzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,759

    Default

    With either you can control output power equally as well. With VV you must change voltage manually when you switch to an atomizing device of a different resistance. With VW you can switch out devices of different resistances as often as you want and not worry about adjusting voltage. That adjustment will be done automatically by the APV to give you your desired power in watts. VW is just a smarter and more convenient upgrade to VV. With VV/VW you have the best of both worlds.

    Using the Sigelei in VV mode can allow you change your output power in smaller increments than with the VW mode (.1V). However, most users find the .5W increments in Power (VW) mode to be more than sufficient.
    Last edited by yzer; 05-01-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    look30 and wv2win like this.
    Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5. 22mm XL IBTanked. Smok single coil unpunched, no-flange 2.0Ω XL cartos. Unflavored DIY 95/5 VG/H2O 12mg nicotine with Xtreme Vaping nicotine base. Vaping since 11/19/2011. 35-year cigarette habit ended 4/22/2012.

  3. #3
    Full Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Ohm's law
    Amp = Voltage / Resistance

    Joule's law
    Wattage = Voltage * Amperage

    Combined
    Wattage = Voltage * (Voltage / Resistance)

    For VV mode, you change the voltage output of the device in efforts to change the wattage (power/heat).

    As an example, if you have a 2.0 ohm atomizer and have the setting on 4 volts, your total power = 4*4/2 = 8 watts.
    If you increase the voltage to 6, then you've increased the total power from 8 watts to total power = 6*6/2 = 18 watts of total power.

    VW mode works backwards from VV mode. You first decide what wattage (power/heat) you want as your output first. Then the device reads what the resistance of your atomizer is, and finally decide what voltage to apply in order to achieve the wattage output.

    As an example. If you have a 2 ohm atomizer, and have the setting on 8 watts, the device will give an output of 4 volts to reach that setting.
    If you change your atomizer to 1.5 ohm, the device will change the voltage accordingly down to ~3.5 volts to still give 8 watts.

    VV settings are good if you want to make small adjustments to your vaping experience.
    VW settings are good for "set it and forget it" type of vaping experience.

    Careful with VV settings if you switch between high and low resistance atomizers. Forgetting to adjust the voltage accordingly will result in potentially burning the atomizer, juice, or coils.
    Zooker likes this.

  4. #4
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    look30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kitchener/On
    Posts
    541
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weedalicious View Post
    Ohm's law
    Amp = Voltage / Resistance

    Joule's law
    Wattage = Voltage * Amperage

    Combined
    Wattage = Voltage * (Voltage / Resistance)

    For VV mode, you change the voltage output of the device in efforts to change the wattage (power/heat).

    As an example, if you have a 2.0 ohm atomizer and have the setting on 4 volts, your total power = 4*4/2 = 8 watts.
    If you increase the voltage to 6, then you've increased the total power from 8 watts to total power = 6*6/2 = 18 watts of total power.

    VW mode works backwards from VV mode. You first decide what wattage (power/heat) you want as your output first. Then the device reads what the resistance of your atomizer is, and finally decide what voltage to apply in order to achieve the wattage output.

    As an example. If you have a 2 ohm atomizer, and have the setting on 8 watts, the device will give an output of 4 volts to reach that setting.
    If you change your atomizer to 1.5 ohm, the device will change the voltage accordingly down to ~3.5 volts to still give 8 watts.

    VV settings are good if you want to make small adjustments to your vaping experience.
    VW settings are good for "set it and forget it" type of vaping experience.

    Careful with VV settings if you switch between high and low resistance atomizers. Forgetting to adjust the voltage accordingly will result in potentially burning the atomizer, juice, or coils.
    Awesome , now I finally undestand why I did good to buy a VW APV.

  5. #5
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    look30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kitchener/On
    Posts
    541
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    So basically the VW will only need to be set once if I use the same juice in atty's with different resistance.

  6. #6
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran wv2win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA by way of WV
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yzer View Post
    With either you can control output power equally as well. With VV you must change voltage manually when you switch to an atomizing device of a different resistance. With VW you can switch out devices of different resistances as often as you want and not worry about adjusting voltage. That adjustment will be done automatically by the APV to give you your desired power in watts. VW is just a smarter and more convenient upgrade to VV. With VV/VW you have the best of both worlds.

    Using the Sigelei in VV mode can allow you change your output power in smaller increments than with the VW mode (.1V). However, most users find the .5W increments in Power (VW) mode to be more than sufficient.
    I agree that VW is a better way to manage power when vaping than VV. In addition, as the resistence of your atty/carto changes due to use, a VW model PV will adjust the power output to maintain your original setting.
    look30 and yzer like this.

  7. #7
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran wv2win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA by way of WV
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by look30 View Post
    So basically the VW will only need to be set once if I use the same juice in atty's with different resistance.
    Yes, VW is "set & forget". VV is not.
    look30 likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Yup. Both does the same, only with vv you have to know your ohms, then set your volts to get the desired watts. VW is a great shortcut, and also set and forget. :-)

  9. #9
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    nahoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Orange County CA
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    VW is only "set and forget" if all you're using are single coil atomizers. Once you introduce dual-coils atty's, VW "somewhat" flies out the door. You can read THIS for an explanation of why that is.

  10. #10
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran wv2win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA by way of WV
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nahoku View Post
    VW is only "set and forget" if all you're using are single coil atomizers. Once you introduce dual-coils atty's, VW "somewhat" flies out the door. You can read THIS for an explanation of why that is.
    I use dual coils all the time with my Vamo and never have an issue. That explanation (if somewhat correct) does not negate the advantages of VW. And I don't have to have an electrical engineering degree to know that dual coil atty/cartos provide fuller/warmer vapor on an APV that can handle them, like the Vamo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks