question: which 18650 battery for mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: question: which 18650 battery for mod

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rnln View Post
    arg... the more I read, the more I get confused. I thought I understand how to read batteries as li-mn is safe chemical, li-ion does not safe chemical. Now, you are saying the CGR18650CH has safe chemical while it is li-ion. Look like I have to start over again. How do I know if the battery has safe chemical?
    Thanks.
    The CGR18650CH is a hybrid, similar to IMR and also has a safer kind of chemistry. There's no need to over-think this - AW IMR are the ones recommended by the ECF battery guide. EFest IMR are also good, and panasonic CGR18650CH. Just get one of those.
    None of them are meant to be thrown into a pocket with metal keys of course - they should be handled properly.
    Last edited by kiwivap; 06-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Baditude likes this.
    About Variable Wattage & Variable Voltage

Gear: LP Reo Grand, Innokin SVD, Vamo, Zmax, VMod XL, CCST, Bolt

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

arg... the more I read, the more I get confused. I thought I understand how to read batteries as li-mn is safe chemical, li-ion does not safe chemical. Now, you are saying the CGR18650CH has safe chemical while it is li-ion. Look like I have to start over again. How do I know if the battery has safe chemical?
    Thanks.
    Proven long term track record.....AW 18650 IMR battery.....
    Baditude likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

kiwivap, your confirm ensured me. Thanks.

Roverboat, I don't understand your meaning. Sorry, English is my second language. Are you saying AW IMR is the best and should be the only one?

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

i vote for panasonic or aw also im using the non hybrid panny 2900 pd's and wow this battery just keeps going.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Blog Entries

Roverboat, I don't understand your meaning. Sorry, English is my second language. Are you saying AW IMR is the best and should be the only one?
    I believe his intention was to say that the AW 18650 IMR has been recognized for a LONG time as one of the bettery quality batteries on the market. The Efest and Panasonic varieties mentioned are newer batteries, and although they more or less test out as good or maybe even better in certain lab testing, the long term results are yet to be determined.

If you are still confused at this point, simply go with the AW IMR and be confident you made a good choice.

Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Love, love, love the Panasonic NCR18650b. The capacity is 3,400 mAh, so you get stellar battery life. I use them in both my digital and mechanical mods, and have been extremely satisfied with the performance.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

1. Safe chemistry - there is no safe chemistry in battery world.

2. IMR batteries recommendations (especially AW) are 2-3 years old. Technology is advancing at the highest speed. What was the best cell 2-3 years ago it is not anymore.

3. Go with brand name = Panasonic is the leader right now. High quality control which is consistent.

4. Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR - it is 100% confusion. Those cells are all under Li-ion name. You will never see brand name manufacturer to list their cells as IMR or Li-Mn. Chinese right now using it as advantage.

Just email your seller, and ask for datasheet. If cell can provide more than 6 Amps , you are good to go. Of course if you are not using subohms.

Warning--- Do not ever try to use cells by unknown Chinese manufacturers until you see datasheet (which you will never get probably).

Battery is an investment, and your quality of vaping depends on that same battery.

ECF became good place to get more confused.

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

4. Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR - it is 100% confusion. Those cells are all under Li-ion name. You will never see brand name manufacturer to list their cells as IMR or Li-Mn. Chinese right now using it as advantage.
    hmm the red label on AW is the manufacturers label and states clearly it is IMR.
    panasonic also carries several data sheets talking about the safer chemestry of their Li- Mn batteries as compaired to standard li batteries. the only reason they canceled production is yield rates are too low. also they are made in japan and packaged in china. and the lable clearly states they are Li-Mn IMR with a 10 amp discharge.

some time on candle power forums will show you more about the batteries and who-what-why then you will ever need to know.

maybe im not reading this line correctly dunno. but in this and the flashlight industry these batteries are well known long before china was involved with marketing to vapors. and les then factual representation in the flashlight hobby forums leads to a loss of credibilty and no sales.

Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR
    these are coding directly related to the peak and nominal amp limits of the battery on discharge. not paying attention to which model you are buying means you could easily end up with a battery with a 2 amp limit and then you will think your mod is broken when your trying to push closer to 3.
    Last edited by Thrasher; 06-16-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post
    1. Safe chemistry - there is no safe chemistry in battery world.
    Well none that can be guaranteed 100% safe always, but some chemistries are safer than others. Which is why IMR is recommended.
    About Variable Wattage & Variable Voltage

Gear: LP Reo Grand, Innokin SVD, Vamo, Zmax, VMod XL, CCST, Bolt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12