Itaste svd vs Provari 2.5 - Page 25
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: Itaste svd vs Provari 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by DasFriek View Post
    Being an electronics junky and ocd hobbyist with an EE background and new to vaping I'll add what I've seen and learned so far.
    VW is a compensation for not so good VV regulation. Tight constant regulation becomes more important as ohms drop on coils as it runs on the line of burnt taste if it is crossed.
    Imo, tho more you get into vaping the more you learn what you like and begin pushing those devices to get the perfect vape.
    I like to modify everything, but do my best to keep well below the burnt taste threshold. Meaning I'll mod a tank before pushing the V or W's up.

Vamo- I have one and like it alot.
    SVD- I just got this and it is built better than the Vamo. The adjustments are harder to learn to.
    I do swap batteries at 3.7v, not due to the device as much as the batteries have more amperage limitations at lower charges. I do notice power drops at this point with the Vamo and SVD.

I'm gonna mention this as I don't like the MVP until they make one with swappable battery packs, I don't trust others to pick out the best performing cells in anything. So I stick with swappable battery devices except for my on-the-go spinner/Evod setup.

Provari- I've never even held one. But quality wise I can tell its one of the best regulated devices.
    Worth $200? Not to me.
    $140? Yes it is.
    I had many high end cells and chargers from my led flashlight hobby days, so initial costs are lower for me.

A Vamo or SVD with a cheap non imr cell would be torture to me.
    A Provari with a cheap cell will act normally but just not last as long on the charge.
    Most who use mechanicals wouldn't go near a cheap cell as the who device is useless without great power delivery. I'm referring to amperage output under load on a scope. Yeah I've done that stuff too!

So as I grow in my vaping experience I'm sure I'll always be looking for a better vape, having the best equipment makes finding it easier and have less hassles.
    Will I buy a Provari? Possibly.
    But I'll be looking at other options also as I know a time will come when I need that good regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt56 View Post
    Very well said. And worded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, pure electronics 101..............
    Unbiased and informative
    tnt56 likes this.

Plus, the SVD looks like Darth Vader's lightsaber.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

VW a fad, hardly. VW polls the atomizer and delivers precise vape each time.
    It's superior technology, guess 5 amps is a Fad, and the DNA20D which will drive a .6 Ohm Sub Ohm Coil into the High 3v is a fad.

I own a Provari and it's fine for Plain Jane Vanilla vaping, but other technologies are leaving it behind.
    No Comment on SVD, don't own one.

Look at the Bottom Feeders, they are superior to the top feeders [Arguably] and a DNA20D bottom feeder is the bomb.

Comparing a Mech to VW is ridiculous the units are used for different things. Most VW including the Provari have a Ohm limitation of 1 Ohm and Mechs are primarily [Arguably] used in Sub Ohm Vaping. I go into my local vape Shop and the guys are all on Mechs with .3 Ohm RBA Atomizers.

My VW DNA20D Bogger Box will do .6 at 20 watts but won't go lower in Ohms. Look in the future for more advanced boards that will eventually give the Mechs a run for there money.

Watch this You Tube Video and in High V Vaping on a 1.18 Ohm RBA, the Provari can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop224 View Post
    I own both (Vamo & Provari), and never use VW anymore. I tried it and saw no noticeable difference. To me it's just a useless feature... Something a lot of people get hung up on.

If flippin' VW was so important to vaping nirvana, there wouldn't be a single mech mod sold, and Provape would be out of business. Even Provape recognizes that VW is a fad, and are firm when stating that they have no plans to make a VW version of their product.
    Last edited by tomzgreat; 08-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    caged and dr g like this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DasFriek View Post
    VW is a compensation for not so good VV regulation. Tight constant regulation becomes more important as ohms drop on coils as it runs on the line of burnt taste if it is crossed.
    That's not the point of VW at all. With VW, you can swap tanks or attys and not worry about your settings. It also automatically compensates when your tank or atty has slight variances in resistance as it warms or ages. If you look at the graphs, devices like the SVD do not have a problem regulating power on lower ohm heads.

Having said that, yes, the Provari is a more solid device but it's also an aging devise in need of a makeover. It needs a new connection that's compatible with ego clearomizers. It has trouble with the Pro Tank II. It needs VW. It needs separate buttons to adjust voltage and power and to allow for changing all settings faster (who wants to fiddle through a cumbersome menu on a one button device to simply turn the unit on and off?). Does it have a removable drip well/top ring?

At this point, I'd wait for the next Provari and buy something cheap to hold you over.
    PVs: SMOK BEC Pro, Sigelei 20W
    RBAs: EHPro Pontus, Kaiser, Taifun GT (clone), Fogger V4.1, Stillaire (clone), 3D (clone)

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caged View Post
    That's not the point of VW at all. With VW, you can swap tanks or attys and not worry about your settings. It also automatically compensates when your tank or atty has slight variances in resistance as it warms or ages. If you look at the graphs, devices like the SVD do not have a problem regulating power on lower ohm heads.

Having said that, yes, the Provari is a more solid device but it's also an aging devise in need of a makeover. It needs a new connection that's compatible with ego clearomizers. It has trouble with the Pro Tank II. It needs VW. It needs separate buttons to adjust voltage and power and to allow for changing all settings faster (who wants to fiddle through a cumbersome menu on a one button device to simply turn the unit on and off?). Does it have a removable drip well/top ring?

At this point, I'd wait for the next Provari and buy something cheap to hold you over.
    I agree with you on everything except the 1 button approach. That Button on the Provari is sealed and you can get it wet with juice to your hearts content and it will never fail. The more buttons you have the more likelihood of a leaky seal. So I think that the One button design is good. I just don't like how many times you have to click it. Cut it down to 3 super fast clicks and no spaces in between for the menu. VW is not necessary but they have to upgrade it to 5 or 6 amps from 3.5 and allow it to go down to .6 Ohms or less.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomzgreat View Post
    I agree with you on everything except the 1 button approach. That Button on the Provari is sealed and you can get it wet with juice to your hearts content and it will never fail. The more buttons you have the more likelihood of a leaky seal. So I think that the One button design is good. I just don't like how many times you have to click it. Cut it down to 3 super fast clicks and no spaces in between for the menu. VW is not necessary but they have to upgrade it to 5 or 6 amps from 3.5 and allow it to go down to .6 Ohms or less.
    I am not sure the target audience is going to use the Provari for sub ohm coils. Some would like it, sure, but the masses ?

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmikee View Post
    I am not sure the target audience is going to use the Provari for sub ohm coils. Some would like it, sure, but the masses ?
    It's about perception and bragging rights. Now that the DNA20D is doing Sub Ohm Coil, the rest are going to follow. And if the Provari stays in it's old niche.
    How many Horse and Buggy Whips do you see for sale in the classifieds compared to hubcaps!

I bought a Provari because it was ahead of it's time, eventually people will stop paying the bucks for a APV that's behind the times.

Give the Chinese another 2 years and the Provari will be toast, if they don't innovate.

You are either Green and Growing or Ripe and Rotten.
    Last edited by tomzgreat; 08-06-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    caged likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well I use my Provari for carto tanks mostly, and it performs better than any other VV device I have tried, and I have tried ALOT. This is of course just my personal exper I don't think most people looking seriously at a Provari care at all for bragging rights. We just want the best available VV (tube) device we can get.
    I like both vv and vw. I have a couple of kicks, and they work great. I guess we will have to wait and see what the Chinese "innovations" will be. But I just don't see the Provari being taken over any time soon. For me, it does exactly what I was told it would do...and a little bit better.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, and for the record, I like my mech/Kayfun setup even better than my Provari. So no fanboy here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomzgreat View Post
    It's about perception and bragging rights. Now that the DNA20D is doing Sub Ohm Coil, the rest are going to follow. And if the Provari stays in it's old niche.
    How many Horse and Buggy Whips do you see for sale in the classifieds compared to hubcaps!

I bought a Provari because it was ahead of it's time, eventually people will stop paying the bucks for a APV that's behind the times.

Give the Chinese another 2 years and the Provari will be toast, if they don't innovate.

You are either Green and Growing or Ripe and Rotten.
    I agree to disagree. I bought my Provari because of its reputation as a consistant, dependable, and durable variable voltage APV. Having owned my first one for one year, it has not disappointed me ever. The fact that Provape has such great customer service and will repair it for as long as I have it was a huge factor, too. This Provari has proven its durability by surviving falls and other accidental punishments that would have destroyed any of the Chinese-origin devices that I own.

I'm a relatively simple vapor. I primarily use cartotanks. I also use a couple of AGA-T2 rebuildable tanks on the Provari's with 2.0 ohm coils which are totally more than satisfactory to me. I have no desire to dive into the sub ohm world, nor do I have any use for variable wattage. I know the wattage I prefer and buy the correct resistance delivery device to acheive that wattage. If I was in the market for another APV (which I'm not), I'd choose another Provari because it offers everything that I need and does it better than any other APV.

The Chinese will never catch up to American build construction and quality of parts. That's not part of their nature. They build things on the cheap to sell cheap. Always have, and always will. They will never be able to offer the same after-warranty service that a good US company can. In fact, they don't even offer one. They expect you to just buy another. After needing to buy a few replacements like that, I'd get pretty disgusted. I'd rather just buy once and cry once - and never regret it.

I guess your and my priorities and expectations for a APV are far different.

I'll probably still have one of my Provari's in my hand while lying in my casket, with the fire button blinking away telling me that it's battery needs to be replaced.