Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What MOD is best in terms of ohm checking?

Default What MOD is best in terms of ohm checking?

Still shopping for a big mod.. looking at Provari, Provari mini, Sigelei VMax V5, Smoketech SID, Evic.. maybe Vamo V4.

Is one better than another in terms of ohm checking?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

A trusted ohm checker and VV to dry burn coils, I keep a Provari in the tool box just for that, a tool. Makes a good mod too!
    EzFreee likes this.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been using a fluke multimeter for 22 years as a mechanic,sometimes on 600+ volts ac current.i prefer the extra bells and whistles of the evic but its better to test twice with two devices or with a multimeter if you are building anything new and fun.
    EzFreee likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I had almost the same question. I would like to know which Mod can read sub ohms(I am not making about using it to vape with) I had a $40 multimeter from Radio Shi* that I bought last week and returned it as it was too touchy and only could read sub ohms as a short. So now I have $40 toward a Mod. Any info would help.
    EzFreee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timc2202 View Post
    Ive been using a fluke multimeter for 22 years as a mechanic,sometimes on 600+ volts ac current.i prefer the extra bells and whistles of the evic but its better to test twice with two devices or with a multimeter if you are building anything new and fun.
    yes I looked into the fluke.. yikes! $$$ figured I could get an assortment of mods for the price of the 87 or 187. I do have a cheap MM but it's useless for attys. I saw the madvapes ohm checker box which ppl say is accurate. (always out of stock)

and ya Djezewski.. same question here about sub ohms.

Blog Entries

I can't speak for sub ohm checking because I won't build them, but the Provari's ohm meter has been documented to be extremely accurate and precise as good as any digital multimeter. Even PBusardo will check the resistance of a delivery device with the Provari instead of using a multimeter during his reviews.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    I can't speak for sub ohm checking because I won't build them, but the Provari's ohm meter has been documented to be extremely accurate and precise as good as any digital multimeter. Even PBusardo will check the resistance of a delivery device with the Provari instead of using a multimeter during his reviews.
    a dna20 mod will be as accurate as anything and you can get one for a lot less than a provari-will also fire sub-ohm builds unlike the provari, zmax, vamo, etc. in that regard it is better than a mech.
    Ipster and EzFreee like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterforpats View Post
    a dna20 mod will be as accurate as anything and you can get one for a lot less than a provari-will also fire sub-ohm builds unlike the provari, zmax, vamo, etc. in that regard it is better than a mech.
    What you say is probably accurate, as you recommended the Shanmod in another thread. I'll repeat what I had to say there, here:

Probably great mods, no doubt, if you don't mind using a box mod. Nothing against box mods, I have a couple and like them myself. Not everyone does though.

DNAlunidnod is $194 and out-of-stock.

Gadget Duel 18650 for $135 is on pre-order

Gadget Hybrid is $146 and also on pre-order

You can get a new full warranty Provari as inexpensive as $140 in the clearance section should you wish, and get it within 3 - 4 days. All Provari's come with a 1 year warranty - I saw no mention of any warranty for the Shanmods. On the off chance a Provari needs repair, history shows you get the Provari back within a weeks time.

Not trying to stir an argument here, but Provape has a well deserved reputation for customer service and will service their product for as long as you own it. I have no idea what the customer service might be for Shanmods. If the mod maker is having issues catching up with orders and keeping stock up, makes me wonder how reliable and proficient he is in repairing his mods and getting them back to the owner.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    What you say is probably accurate, as you recommended the Shanmod in another thread. I'll repeat what I had to say there, here:

Probably great mods, no doubt, if you don't mind using a box mod. Nothing against box mods, I have a couple and like them myself. Not everyone does though.

DNAlunidnod is $194 and out-of-stock.

Gadget Duel 18650 for $135 is on pre-order

Gadget Hybrid is $146 and also on pre-order

You can get a new full warranty Provari as inexpensive as $140 in the clearance section should you wish, and get it within 3 - 4 days. All Provari's come with a 1 year warranty - I saw no mention of any warranty for the Shanmods. On the off chance a Provari needs repair, history shows you get the Provari back within a weeks time.

Not trying to stir an argument here, but Provape has a well deserved reputation for customer service and will service their product for as long as you own it. I have no idea what the customer service might be for Shanmods. If the mod maker is having issues catching up with orders and keeping stock up, makes me wonder how reliable and proficient he is in repairing his mods and getting them back to the owner.
    A. shan is a she
    B. her customer service is great
    C. I was merely pointing out that there were cheaper(and yes, in my opinion) , better alternatives to a provari if you want an ohm meter in your mod. not everyone dislikes box mods and the fazedboxmod budget is more oval and feels better in my hand than a heavy metal round mod. again, just my opinion. I also like 2 18650 battery mods to give a lot more vaping time.
    D. why do provari owners always quote the blemished price for a provari(when they are available in the desired style or color) and not the regular price? how about the accessories(extensions, end caps, beauty rings) you have to pay extra for? never mentioned......
    E. there are quite a few tube dna20 mods just about or hitting the market right now. only time will tell, but from what I see and read, they will probably become the benchmark for tube mods. the futura looks to be especially promising......
    F. of course you are trying to stir an argument here... no problem!
    Last edited by peterforpats; 09-02-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Baditude and Ipster like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran jamentertainment's Avatar

I found when building coils that the vamo is the best to have around. One button to check the ohms and does not fire, i also have a provari but it fires when getting to the ohms screen which can be tricky when working on a new coil...
    EzFreee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast