Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: ITaste VTR battery question.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default ITaste VTR battery question.

The listings I have seen for the VTR have the compatible batteries listed as "18650(without protection)". What does this mean? Is one supposed to use unprotected batteries with this device? I can't imagine that is the case.

Currently have an eVic using the Samsung battery that came with it. It is a protected battery. I can use this with the VTR yes?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

Full Member Verified Member tanner150's Avatar

I can't actually speak for the VTR, but I have a Vamo V2 and you are supposed to use unprotected batteries with it due to the PV's built in protection. If you use protected batteries it can cause problems. This could possibly be the same concept with the VTR.

Sorry I can't find edit.
    http://www.innokin.com/itaste-vtr.html
    You can see at the bottom it says 18650(unprotected)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

Senior Member Verified Member Dconnor's Avatar

You can use the protected batteries. I started with efest 2000, and the changed to Panasonic for the better battery life. Both worked fine.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The device have the protection all ready, hence no need for protected batteries.

Blog Entries

You "can" use a protected NCR/INR in a regulated mod, as long as it is accepting it without error codes or what not. It's not the ideal battery to use for your mod's optimal performance. Once you use low resistance atomizers or higher voltages which will begin to pull more amps from your battery, performance could become impaired or the battery might complain by becoming overheated. Protected batteries don't have the "high drain" load current capability that an IMR will have.

When those listings say "unprotected" battery, they DO NOT mean a un-protected NCR/ICR li-ion battery (these should never be used in a mod).

They mean a "high drain" IMR (li-mn or lithium manganese), also known as a "safe chemistry" and as a "unprotected battery".

These are used in regulated mods that use buck boost circuitry to achieve variable voltage-wattage, but they are now also recommended for single voltage mechanical mods as a safer alternative to protected Li Ion batteries.

This class will have less capacity in mAh rating compared to protected batteries, but are superior when maximum load current is required, such as in regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or using an RBA.

The newer "hybrid" batteries by Panasonic/Orbtronic, Sony, and Samsung also fit into this category. ​These are a good choice for applications that demand both maximum load current and longer battery time.

Below is a listing of IMR or hybrid batteries which are recommended for all applications. (Mechanical mods using extreme sub-ohm vaping require IMR or hybrid batteries with more than 10 amps of continuous discharge rate.)

AW IMR
    18650 2000mah 10Amp CDR
    18650 1600mah 24A

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP)
    INR18650-22P 2200mAh 10A
    INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

MNKE IMR
    18650 1500mah 20A

Panasonic ​or Orbtronic hybrid
    CGR18650CH (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
    NCR18650PD (LiNiCoAl) 2900mAh 10A

Efest IMR
    18650 (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
    18650 2000mAh 10A
    18650 1600mAh 30A

Sony
    us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A
    us18650vct3 (hybrid) 1600mAh 30A

* AW IMR 18490 (1100mah) 8.8A

*AW IMR 18350 ​(700mah) 6A

**The Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh is not a high drain battery and only has a 6.8 amp limit.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    You "can" use a protected NCR/INR in a regulated mod, as long as it is accepting it without error codes or what not. It's not the ideal battery to use for your mod's optimal performance. Once you use low resistance atomizers or higher voltages which will begin to pull more amps from your battery, performance could become impaired or the battery might complain by becoming overheated. Protected batteries don't have the "high drain" load current capability that an IMR will have.

When those listings say "unprotected" battery, they DO NOT mean a un-protected NCR/ICR li-ion battery (these should never be used in a mod).

They mean a "high drain" IMR (li-mn or lithium manganese), also known as a "safe chemistry" and as a "unprotected battery".

These are used in regulated mods that use buck boost circuitry to achieve variable voltage-wattage, but they are now also recommended for single voltage mechanical mods as a safer alternative to protected Li Ion batteries.

This class will have less capacity in mAh rating compared to protected batteries, but are superior when maximum load current is required, such as in regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or using an RBA.

The newer "hybrid" batteries by Panasonic/Orbtronic, Sony, and Samsung also fit into this category. ​These are a good choice for applications that demand both maximum load current and longer battery time.

Below is a listing of IMR or hybrid batteries which are recommended for all applications. (Mechanical mods using extreme sub-ohm vaping require IMR or hybrid batteries with more than 10 amps of continuous discharge rate.)

AW IMR
    18650 2000mah 10Amp CDR
    18650 1600mah 24A

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP)
    INR18650-22P 2200mAh 10A
    INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

MNKE IMR
    18650 1500mah 20A

Panasonic ​or Orbtronic hybrid
    CGR18650CH (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
    NCR18650PD (LiNiCoAl) 2900mAh 10A

Efest IMR
    18650 (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
    18650 2000mAh 10A
    18650 1600mAh 30A

Sony
    us18650vct3 (hybrid) 1600mAh 30A
    us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A

* AW IMR 18490 (1100mah) 8.8A

*AW IMR 18350 ​(700mah) 6A

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?
    Thank you for this, Bad. I've been going around and around in my head (it's crowded in there) about this battery question for a while now. Now that we have your attention, would you explain flat top vs. button top??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie3199 View Post
    Thank you for this, Bad. I've been going around and around in my head (it's crowded in there) about this battery question for a while now. Now that we have your attention, would you explain flat top vs. button top??
    Some manufacturers design the positive battery contact to only accept a button top battery, such as Provape does for the Provari. This is done intentionally as a safety measure, as it prevents a battery from being installed upside down which would cause reverse polarity - not a good thing to happen.

Using magnets on a flat top battery in order for it to work in a mod like the Provari is considered dangerous and an unsafe battery practice. Doing this with a Provari will void Provape's warranty.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    Some manufacturers design the positive battery contact to only accept a button top battery, such as Provape does for the Provari. This is done intentionally as a safety measure, as it prevents a battery from being installed upside down which would cause reverse polarity - not a good thing to happen.

Using magnets on a flat top battery in order for it to work in a mod like the Provari is considered dangerous and an unsafe battery practice. Doing this with a Provari will void Provape's warranty.
    Thanks for such a fast answer and for all that you do here on ECF...you ROCK!!
    Baditude likes this.

Thanks for the reply. I will be using the Samsung 18650 that came standard with my evic. I think it is 2400 mah.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g LTE now Free

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast