18350 batteries - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 18350 batteries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love coffee View Post
    I'm really frustrated with the VERY short battery life I get with this device and the batteries. Even the 18650 doesn't last more than about 4-5 hours. Are you guys saying the SID uses voltage differently and another mod might last longer with these batteries? If so, then please give me an idea of a different mod to try (other than provari, cuz I can't afford that one)
    I can't offer a recommendation. From what I have read, the Chinese manufacturers pretty much all use the same cheap processor in their devices. They all operate with the 33.3 hz PWM chipset. The Provari on the other hand uses a more expensive and efficient circuit board that is made inhouse and uses the patented Acuset Technology. It's PWM chipset is 800 hz. Maybe there IS a reason why a Provari costs more.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran D. Waterhouse's Avatar

For 18650s in my SID I use Panasonic hybrids and they last around two days at 7.5 watts.
    The SID & ARO, BoxMods w/ 2ohm singles, IGO S w/ Sigelei 24 & Mt. Baker Vapor juice :)

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by D. Waterhouse View Post
    For 18650s in my SID I use Panasonic hybrids and they last around two days at 7.5 watts.
    +1, if you cant get through a day with that battery throw the mod in the trash lol. those batteries give me over 2 days in a provari running a 1.8 coil at 4 volts.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Can you describe the full setup and settings? Coil resistance, voltage/wattage, and your usage pattern?
    What specific 18650 are you using?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran NicoHolic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Comparing how long batteries last you for vaping says more about the vaping than it does about the batteries or the mod. Comparing how much juice a battery will get you through is better, but says as much about the efficiency of the juice delivery device as it does about the battery and mod. The only accurate way of comparing batteries' capacities is with a constant-current load at different discharge rates.

Technologies being equal, a 700 mAH battery isn't going to last 700/2000 as long as a 2000 mAH battery at the same discharge rate because the discharge current used to establish the 700 mAH rating is much less than that used to establish the 2000 mAH rating. Higher capacity batteries handle the currents we use for vaping much better.

Regulated mods can be particularly brutal on batteries, especially smaller batteries. The weaker the battery, the increasingly harder a regulated mod works it to maintain the set coil voltage (or wattage). Battery current is higher than coil current by at least a factor of the coil voltage divided by the battery voltage. The battery is regularly deeply discharged, decreasing its cycle life, and the regulated mod must have a low-voltage cut-off to protect the battery. These are the costs of regulated coil voltage.

A mechanical mod is the opposite simply due to Ohm's Law. The weaker the battery, the less the current drawn from it, and, of course, the weaker the vape. For most of the charge life, the voltage decreases gradually, and that may go unnoticed. But at the end of the charge, the voltage (and vape) drops so suddenly, it can't help but be noticed. The user will change the battery out well above the battery's minimum voltage due to the dramatically reduced vape, and some will change it out above this point. The battery is regularly less deeply discharged and a low-voltage cut-off isn't needed.

Coming full circle, before you make a consistent coil voltage your Holy Grail, consider that you are a bigger factor in vape. How hard and how long you draw probably vary all over the place--anything but consistent. Experienced mech users subconsciously compensate for gradually declining coil voltage. None of this addresses adjustability. If this is important to you, then the mech won't do it for you. You can only change the coil resistance to vary the power.
    Last edited by NicoHolic; 10-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Two REO Grands w/RM2 RDAs Super-T Precise Simplicity 18500 w/ΣΟΦΙΑ IBTanked eVic and USB eGos w/ProTanks
    Swedish snus - a stealthier alternative to stealth vaping.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The great thing about variable voltage mods is ... you can vary the voltage. So if you need more runtime, lower the voltage. You can simulate mech behavior with vv/vw by lowering your power as the battery discharges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12