The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Perhaps it's because I just finished watching Fight Club on HBO and felt a little unhinged.

Perhaps I've read too many posts from ProVari haters that categorize the ProVari as overpriced and downplay it's quality or design.

Or maybe since dunking my E-LVT in the toilet I decided that for curiosity sake I just had to find out for myself.

Well here it is.

After a rather unsuccessful dunking of my E-LVT during a torture review process I promised myself I'd never do anything that stupid again. And I haven't. I did something stupider.

Not wanting to put my ProVari in the toilet, I decided to replicate the dunk test with a much more cleaner environment.

Below you will see pictures of my placing my beloved ProVari in a full glass of water. And it going into a bag of rice afterwards.

If you do this you WILL void your warranty and you will likely ruin your VV/VW device. But I am so confident that the ProVari will incur no damage that I am going to do this. Everything I have seen with my eyes and heard about the design decisions of the ProVari give me the confidence to do something this stupid..... I wouldn't do this with any other mod, after my E-LVT fiasco....

ProVari_Dunk.jpgProVari bubbles.jpgProVari bubbles 2.jpg

The first picture is a side view of the ProVari submerged in the water. The next two photos show the device from the top down, you can see the bubbles coming up from the device.

ProVari Rice.jpg

The last picture is the ProVari in it's bag of rice after it's been shaken out and dried out with a paper towel.

In 24 hours, I'll put a battery back into this device and we'll see if she fires up....

For all you people who are really curious about the build quality and survivability of a ProVari....Well, we'll find out together.

Few of us are stupid as I am and intentionally put our APV's in water. But many of us do find ourselves wondering what would happen if we dropped it in a lake, or left it in our pocket when we did clothes or even just spilled a drink on it. Well this should settle that question for you.

And if any of you DNA, Sigelei 20W, Vamo, or Zmax owners try to replicate this to prove that your mods are just as durable as a ProVari.....well...you've been warned....
    Last edited by p.opus; 04-25-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    ProVari: It's nothing more than a metal tube with a button on it that is well built and accurately delivers a set voltage continuously under load.

I can do that with my reo heck I do it once a week for the heck of it

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mogium View Post
    I can do that with my reo heck I do it once a week for the heck of it
    Of course you would. It's a mechanical..... No electronics to damage....
    ProVari: It's nothing more than a metal tube with a button on it that is well built and accurately delivers a set voltage continuously under load.

Senior Member Verified Member Yankez's Avatar

Fight Club is an awesome movie.

With that said, next time you watch it and feel the need to put your Provari through the litmus test to see how much damage it can take and still work....send it to me.

I promise to run it through all the tough tests and if it survives I'll give you a big " THANK YOU " for sending me such a good PV

lizziebith and DPLongo22 like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

maybe wait 36-48 hours ... to be safe
    Smoke Free since Sept. 22nd 2013 ... Keep Calm & Vape On

ECF Veteran

Crazy, I got to post just so can see the out come
    DPLongo22 and AngiBe like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Honestly, without a power source attached and with all its' capacitors drained you could do that with any electronic device. They key is to make sure it is 100% free of water before applying power to it again. That being said...
    TomCatt likes this.

Blog Entries

My money is on the Provari surviving.

I've read of one surviving a drenching in a swimming pool, another surviving a complete wash cycle in a pair of pants, and another getting a good bath in a river for 24 hours until it was found by the happy owner.

I think it is Buzzzpro here on the forum who demonstrates the toughness of his Provari by dropping it at arm's length onto the tile floor. Edd the lion dropped his from above the ceiling down a story onto the floor, knocked the top cap partially off, and fixed it by hitting it with a block of wood and a hammer.

And the stories of being run over by a dump truck; falling off a speeding motorcycle on a busy highway, bounching down the road and getting run over by a car; falling one story off a ledge landing on concrete, etc, etc. Stories that legends are made from.

I'd like to see a DNA mod go through any of the above and still survive.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    My money is on the Provari surviving.

I've read of one surviving a drenching in a swimming pool, another surviving a complete wash cycle in a pair of pants, and another getting a good bath in a river for 24 hours until it was found by the happy owner.

I think it is Buzzzpro here on the forum who demonstrates the toughness of his Provari by dropping it at arm's length onto the tile floor. Edd the lion dropped his from above the ceiling down a story onto the floor, knocked the top cap partially off, and fixed it by hitting it with a block of wood and a hammer.

And the stories of being run over by a dump truck; falling off a speeding motorcycle on a busy highway, bounching down the road and getting run over by a car; falling one story off a ledge landing on concrete, etc, etc. Legendary stories.
    I think the only thing that beat a Provari was a lawn mower. It gave the blades a good thrashing, but that stainless steel case was hacked....I saw the pictures on that one....

Oh the humanity!!!!

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Subscribed! Looking forward to the results.
    DPLongo22 likes this.
    This is my Provari. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Analog-free since April 10, 2000. Best decision ever.
    Save a Dog's Life - Leave No Paws Behind

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast