tastes strange, or is it just me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: tastes strange, or is it just me?

Full Member Verified Member

Default tastes strange, or is it just me?

so, the first time I ordered death by chocolate and orange creamsicle, they were the little sample bottles and I thought they were pure heaven!!!! so I quickly ordered a 1oz bottle of each, with some tweakes (after emailing back and forth with patti for quite a while. I fear at this point im getting on that poor girls nerves, lol!) I asked for the bottles to be thinned out a tad, so that it wouldnt interfere with my attys, since I have sooo many atty issues anyway, and asked for some extra flavor shots since I tend to have a lot of issues with the dreaded vapors tounge.
    so I anxiously await my shipment, and when my bottles arrived I didnt think they were nearly close to as delicious. but, eh, they probably need to steep right? well, in the around two weeks or so it took for me to vape both bottles (alot was also wasted on trying to mess with a new tank but thats another topic!) the orange dreamscicle got better but the death by chocolate, not so much at all.
    so, this time I reordered with just extra flavor, not with any thinning....
    and they both taste funky! just me? needs to steep? maybe I should just not mess with what Annette has obviously totally perfected?
    I will say the longer I vape it the more I am "getting used to it" at least as far as the chocolate goes, but I still cant really taste any chocolate.
    dont get me wrong, I loooove VV, and im guessing this is opperator error, meaning my fault, so wondering, what yall think?
    VapieDan likes this.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have found that the large bottles take longer to steep. I would give it another week or two with shaking daily and try it again then. I have only ordered the extra flavor once and I found I preferred Annettes original strengths (Butter Cream Mint) IMHO
    kittypie likes this.

ya thats kindof what I was thinking. thankfully I only ordered a 1/2 oz bottle of each this time, but yeah I think the flavor shots may have over done it. I do have some distilled water on hand, buuuut....yeah no not gonna try and alter my juice myself, lord only knows id end up just ruining it more. sigh. well, sadly because im soooo sensitive to pg and artifical crap in other juices I kindof have to vape this stuff, cant really put it away and wait. my local B&M only sells 60vg40pg....sucky.
    Angiebubs likes this.

amy_h, I too think it is a steeping/aging issue. Not only as in what Angiebubs rightly mentioned about larger bottles taking longer to steep, but we are also working with very fresh flavor batches recently, so they haven't had much time melding and steeping "in the barrel" so to speak. When I first started ordering from VV I sometimes ordered extra flavor but I always went back to Annette's original recipe, because yes, there can be too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, I ran across about a quarter ounce of Pillow Dreams from 11/2012. So so so so delicious. The liquid is super dark and will probably kill my carto in day but dang, it's good! We need steeping cellars, don't we?
    heinz and Angiebubs like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by amy_h_26 View Post
    so, the first time I ordered death by chocolate and orange creamsicle, they were the little sample bottles and I thought they were pure heaven!!!! so I quickly ordered a 1oz bottle of each, with some tweakes (after emailing back and forth with patti for quite a while. I fear at this point im getting on that poor girls nerves, lol!) I asked for the bottles to be thinned out a tad, so that it wouldnt interfere with my attys, since I have sooo many atty issues anyway, and asked for some extra flavor shots since I tend to have a lot of issues with the dreaded vapors tounge.
    so I anxiously await my shipment, and when my bottles arrived I didnt think they were nearly close to as delicious. but, eh, they probably need to steep right? well, in the around two weeks or so it took for me to vape both bottles (alot was also wasted on trying to mess with a new tank but thats another topic!) the orange dreamscicle got better but the death by chocolate, not so much at all.
    so, this time I reordered with just extra flavor, not with any thinning....
    and they both taste funky! just me? needs to steep? maybe I should just not mess with what Annette has obviously totally perfected?
    I will say the longer I vape it the more I am "getting used to it" at least as far as the chocolate goes, but I still cant really taste any chocolate.
    dont get me wrong, I loooove VV, and im guessing this is opperator error, meaning my fault, so wondering, what yall think?
    It sounds to me like you are ready for DIY. Tweak to what you like!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kittypie View Post
    amy_h, I too think it is a steeping/aging issue. Not only as in what Angiebubs rightly mentioned about larger bottles taking longer to steep, but we are also working with very fresh flavor batches recently, so they haven't had much time melding and steeping "in the barrel" so to speak. When I first started ordering from VV I sometimes ordered extra flavor but I always went back to Annette's original recipe, because yes, there can be too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, I ran across about a quarter ounce of Pillow Dreams from 11/2012. So so so so delicious. The liquid is super dark and will probably kill my carto in day but dang, it's good! We need steeping cellars, don't we?
    Hahhah a year old pillow dreams -
    My gosh -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive thought about diy but really, trying to make something as wonderful and perfect as anette does, even with the steeping issues I have, seems like its not worth the trouble. What I really need is more cash to buy a big order....some to let steep and some to vape!
    Angiebubs likes this.

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

you can speed up the steeping process a little. put the bottle of juice in a bowl of hot water for a while. That helps, and you can also try leaving the bottle with the cap off for a few days.

I'm vaping Peanut Butter Banana Sandwich right now and have been vaping Vanilla Latte as well... These two are my first ever from Virgin Vapor. I've noticed that the 100%VG does take a while for the flavor to fully mix and does take a while to steep. But... even after steeping for awhile I've noticed the flavor is not BAM in your face like I'm used to from another certain vendor (I won't name drop, that would be rude) that I vape daily. Even though the flavor isn't popping like I want it to... it isn't bad. Could be the 100%VG since PG is known to be a better flavor carrier... or it could be the organic part because, now that I think of it, I've never really liked most foods that are labeled organic as they always seem to taste bland..
    Current Vape: Valkyrie, Sony US18650VTC5, Hand-made wide bore drip tip (www.facebook.com/nebulousformations), Aces Vapor "Maverick" Vanilla Custard 3mg (www.acesvapor.com)

Leaving the cap off helped the orange creamsicle, strangely, but not the DBC. The hot water bath didnt seem to help either, if anything it seemed to mute my DBC, not help. Hmmmm. Im curious as to how VV lets their sample bottles steep....they always seem to have the best flavors....im guessing they just sit until needed, but if any shaking/additional steps are taken that would be helpful to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast