Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find Everclear (pure ethanol)

Super Member ECF Veteran

When I asked for Everclear at the state liquor store here in Ohio I got a lot of funny looks and the clerk said he didn't think you could get it here. 110 Vodka works fine for me - that's what I use.

I found a little mom and pop store that carried the everclear 151%. He said that is the highest they can carry and questioned why i needed it lol. Is the 151% ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by kjj View Post

On the other hand, 151 should work just fine for just about anything you would need it for, as long as it is a neutral spirit.
    Bleh, scratch my last question. Thanks for answering!

chc
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I found some Graves grain alcohol. 95% alc/vol (190 proof) it doesn't say pure on it anywhere just "extra fine". Is this ok to use?

ECF Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chc View Post
    I found some Graves grain alcohol. 95% alc/vol (190 proof) it doesn't say pure on it anywhere just "extra fine". Is this ok to use?

I would not think twice about using it--if you can drink it, you can vape it until testing tells us otherwise at this point.

Sun

chc
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks Sun

Super Member ECF Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't trust using anything that you can't eat/drink as well! Really, I don't think it matters what proof alcohol you use (except for the diluted grocery store stuff).

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Thulium's Avatar

Here in Oregon all "hard liquor" (basically anything over 20 proof) is limited to sales from Oregon Liquor Control Commission operated stores. 190 proof PGA like Everclear is available, but it is usually kept behind the counter ostensibly because it is a fire hazard. So the lesson is: You might need to ask about it.

kjj

Alcohol is really only used for two things in the vaping world. One is cleaning, and the other is mixing.

For mixing, you are looking for three qualities: drinkable, neutral, and strong. Drinkable is obvious, I should think. Neutral because you don't want your stuff to taste like whatever booze you are using. And strong because you can then use less of it to get the effect you need. Use 190 if you can get it, but 151 is still 75% ethanol and will work just fine.

For cleaning, you can use the same stuff that you mix with, or you can use isopropyl. Isopropyl has the advantage of being very, very cheap. I got a 16 ounce bottle of 91% for maybe $2 at Walmart, while my liter of everclear was $19.

If you use isopropyl, let stuff dry well before using. A little residue isn't going to kill you, but I would try to minimize it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kjj View Post
    Neutral because you don't want your stuff to taste like whatever booze you are using.
    Speak for yourself!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast