No Topic, just Chat - Page 3
Page 3 of 550 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree2167Likes

Thread: No Topic, just Chat

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKay View Post
    Well there's always Dorothy, but I did like it..Of course I was a second grader. Mom still fusses about the dust and sand or whatever under the window seals every day. It was rather dusty and windy, kind of like Cheyene.
    California is beautiful, I was in a small town above Sacrameto called Colusa. But once you get on the freeway it's a nightmare! We went down to Canoga park in the Valley/L.A area/Topanga Canyon whatever it is, and I was on the floorboard in fear. My brother-in-law said he was only doing 90 and was being passed! The bridge into S.F. was a free for all and the hills were not places you wanted to drive a V.W. bus. I like flat land!
    My mom still loves Kansas, I don't know what she sees in it. I love SF.
    I used to drive a bus in the North SF Bay area/Napa Valley. You haven't lived till you've driven something huge and hard to stop around all those crazy drivers and people weaving around after they've come out of the vineyards. Still, I'd much rather drive in the SF area than the LA area myself, those people scared the bejeebers out of me! I just buried my face in a book and made someone else drive.

Of course, my current state is in the bottom 3 for worst drivers in the country, and that is no joke. You take your life in your hands whenever you hit the road here. Small population, but none of them can drive and the roads are treacherous. One false move and off a cliff you go......

Seems like there's a different brand of bad driving for every state. Oklahoma was bad for people turning either way from whichever lane they were in without warning. Gotta have good reflexes to drive there. In Texas I always found if you just went fast enough to stay with the flow of traffic and knew where your exits were you were OK, but if you got lost or didn't know where your exit was, or had the misfortune to be in the wrong lane you were doomed. People were awfully polite there until they got into their cars.

I thought this was interesting too, since I have lived a couple of places where I just didn't 'fit.'

U.S. Regions Display Marked Personality Differences

State Personality Map

Note how when you click on 'conscientiousness' (is that a word?) Hawaii almost disappears. If you've ever tried to get service in a restaurant or store here you'll know exactly why that is. When the surfing's good people call in sick to work.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bmacva View Post
    Mary Kay, where in Virginia?

Quoting myself...LOL

Mary Kay???

Alta Vista, below Lynchburg. It was so pretty! My in-laws used to take me for drives on the Blue Ridge. My neighbors here in Fl. came from a town not 20 miles from us in Va. Small world.
    I totally missed this question! Sorry.
    Last edited by Mary Kay; 05-23-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    Mary Kay
    Analog free -April 17,2009
    Ladies, Please join us in ECF's: The Women's Room

Super Member ECF Veteran

I thought the State Personality Map was pretty interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Did any of it line up with your experience? The Hawaii thing made me laugh, because it's so true. People are very friendly here, but they're secretive and there is a severe lack of work ethic employers complain about.

I thought it was interesting people in the heartland scored higher for 'conscientiousness' because I do remember that being a strong point for that area. I think it would have been more interesting if it had been more in depth, though.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I found it interesting but I didn't think my state leaned towards Neuroticism. My perception of the people here was that we are more easy going..maybe I'm not hanging out with the right peeps.

Kind of funny but I guess we don't always see what others do.

I had no idea what they meant by Florida. People in the tourist area's are like every big city..harried and rushed. People in the less traveled area's are for the most part like Mid westerners..laid back and nice. But wait..most of the people in Florida are from the Midwest, North and other Countries! So I guess it's not fair to say we are like any one thing.

As for driving in Florida..please! When you are in traffic in Tampa or St. Pete all you see is little blue, bald or lavender heads popping up and down in the car in front to the side and in back of you.

There is no such thing as multiple car right hand turns at a light, it takes grandpa half hour in his caddy to make that turn. After you wait for the next light to make your turn, you all but rear end grandpa!

The free way isn't like L.A., it's a dogdge car straightaway. With grandma and her bingo group doing 12 miles an hour hugging the middle lane and grandpa and his fishing buddies coming home pulling their 50 foot fishing boat doing 13 miles and hour..you get nowhere fast!
    Throw in the teen drivers, the cell phone, do my makeup and eat McDonalds crowd and the gotta get to work/home from work manics doing 90..it's an E-ticket ride.

I have to drive 20 miles to get to a freeway from my house..LOVE IT!
    Last edited by Mary Kay; 05-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Mary Kay

I remember that about Florida. Everyone blamed the bad driving on the tourists, and I think a lot of it was true.

Here they blame it all on the tourists, but the truth is nobody here knows how to drive. The tourists aren't paying attention, but the locals don't know the basic rules of the road.

Hawaii drivers among worst in nation on road rules test | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

I would like to point out a few trends I have noticed..Applogizing for every edit..foget it! I sometimes have to edit 3 or 4 times! We aren't in the main body of the forum, and even there I edit (I do try to give a reason up there)! Down here we do as we please..within reason of course..LOL
    The other thing is that we are sooo worried about stepping on each other's toes. Surely we can't all be that tenderfooted. A simple "sorry" will suffice and maybe a smiley. It's very hard to hear the tone of voice and see the others smiling at the keyboard, but do try. Besides, most of us seem to be nice enough people to begin with!
    Trust me if flaming starts, I will talk to the flamer and if that gets nowhere..delete posts and speak to Lu. I do carry a big stick and I am not afraid to try to lift it!! LOL
    Last is being reluctant to start threads..I hate looking like a tread starting nut! But I do like choices in topics. If you start a thread somebody here will answer you. It doesn't have to be a question, it can just be a topic you like.
    Mary Kay