Why I want to quit vaping
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why I want to quit vaping

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Why I want to quit vaping

I smoked for 35 years, then quit smoking for 10 years.

In January, 2011, I started a drawing class at the local community college. My classmates would take a break and go outside and smoke. I started bumming occasional cigarettes. By May, 2011, I was smoking 1/2 a pack a day. In November, 2011, I got a cold. The cough just would not go away!

I decided to quit smoking. I didn't want to go through the pain of quitting again. I started researching Chantix online, and it wasn't for me.

Then I found this forum. I knew I wanted to try vaping. I didn't realize that it would be so expensive to find the right juice! I have spent a ton of $$$ on juices already.

For the first few weeks 18 mg. was good for me. Then I started getting jittery with it, so I am down to 12 mg.

I talked to my doctor, and he was upset that I started smoking again, and didn't think that much of vaping, and wants me to quit vaping, too. My dentist said that if something dries out your mouth, it is bad for your teeth and gums. These are enough reason that I want to quit vaping.

My plan is to go town to 6 mg, then 0 mg, then quit altogether by March, 2012.

How about you? What's your story?
    Sandy
    ForeverDiving likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Are you buying your e-juice from a supplier or are you DIY'ing? The great thing about DIY is that you can test yourself at lower mg levels for example you could try mixing a small 3ml bottle with 2mg e-juice and see how that goes. If you find you can go the whole day on 2mg you'll be that much closer to your eventual goal. I'm not saying it would be easy going down from 12 to 2 and maybe you'll find it's too low but then you can up it to 6 and maybe that'll do the trick.

ECF Veteran

I buy the juice. I figure if I start DIY it will be another huge expense to get started.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
    I buy the juice. I figure if I start DIY it will be another huge expense to get started.
    it actually can be *cheaper* -- if you simply buy a bottle of unflavored nicotine and then use an online eliquid calculator to determine the amount you want to add to premade, zero nic juices (some vendors sell their zero nic juices way cheaper)...i vape anywhere from 2-6mgs, depending on my mood.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

DIY is surprisingly cheap, especially if you're mixing lower mg juice:

For a 30ml bottle of 12mg 70/30 e-juice if you're using 60mg nic juice from RTS Vapes and flavoring from ECigExpress, it would cost you $4.05 vs. $15 on average for juice from most vendors.

Bottles and syringes cost literally pennies, so the set up cost is actually incredibly low and it would certainly help you in reaching your end goal of 0mg because you're in control of your nic content and you can decide on a whim to drop your nic level by simply adding some PG or VG to your existing juice or mixing up a new batch in under 5 minutes.
    Shilo likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

best of luck!
    ​serial vapist

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFishPhil View Post
    DIY is surprisingly cheap, especially if you're mixing lower mg juice:

For a 30ml bottle of 12mg 70/30 e-juice if you're using 60mg nic juice from RTS Vapes and flavoring from ECigExpress, it would cost you $4.05 vs. $15 on average for juice from most vendors.

Bottles and syringes cost literally pennies, so the set up cost is actually incredibly low and it would certainly help you in reaching your end goal of 0mg because you're in control of your nic content and you can decide on a whim to drop your nic level by simply adding some PG or VG to your existing juice or mixing up a new batch in under 5 minutes.
    Thanks, you guys! I think for me it would be a problem, because there are so few juices I like. I would end up buying a ton of flavorings.

Super Member Vaping Advocate
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I vaped 80vg/20pg for about six months. I couldn't leave my house without carrying two big water bottles with me, because I was always sooooo thirsty. It finally dawned on me that I should try vaping liquid with a higher VG content. I've been using mostly 50/50, and the constant thirst is gone. The other thing I noticed was when I started vaping my skin was really dry, but I just attributed the dryness on my face to aging. Once I upped the VG, my skin is no longer dry. So my first recommendation would be to try a liquid with more VG in it.

Flavors are really hard to nail down, your taste buds improve once you stop smoking, and it took me a while to figure out what I liked. One of my favorite flavors is Bear Claw, which was actually a free sample that I received with an order from Velvet Vapors. This vendor has a great selection, including organic, and she sells 3ml bottles. I have a tackle box full of liquid, but I have two flavors I alternate during the day, and then two others I mostly vape at night. I went from smoking menthol to vaping menthol, then cinnamon, then tried just about everything (bacon wasn't as bad as I thought!). Now when I go to vape meets, I'll try other flavors, but mostly stick to the ones I already like.

Your doctor may not have much knowledge about e-cigs, except for the statement the FDA issued when they tested 18 cartridges from China. If you haven't been to the CASAA website yet, it might put your doctor's fears to rest if you print out some of the information available here. CASAA.org While vendors can't make claims that e-cigs can help people quit, anecdotal evidence does prove otherwise. If your doctor sees that not only did vaping stop you from using tobacco, but that you were able to reduce your nicotine level gradually until you are able to wean yourself off of nicotine, he might be more apt to suggest harm reduction alternatives to other patients who can't quit. It might also be helpful to tell your doctor about the program that Dr. Brad Rodu has started in Kentucky, "Switch & Quit Owensboro". Switch & Quit Owensboro

Vaping has a learning curve, it's not anywhere near as easy as opening a fresh pack and finding your lighter. And vaping isn't for everyone, I've been vaping since August 2010 and my husband still smokes, he's tried vaping but has no interest in it. Everyone's experience with vaping will be different, finding ECF helped me out a great deal when I was just starting out. It sounds like you're on the right track, I have seen lots of people post all their vaping supplies in the classifieds because they were able to gradually stop vaping completely.

Moved On ECF Veteran

Bacon? Vape meats? That sounds really interesting?

This is something I found by accident doing DIY. When I buy from a vendor, I get 18mg nic. This gives me the TH that I need to stay off analogs. When I DIY, I can not vape 18mg. It's too harsh. I had to cut it back to 12mg.

So my advice would be to try DIY. You may find that it's a lot easier to cut back on the NIC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast