My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking

Senior Member ECF Veteran Penner's Avatar

Did you smoke real cigarettes on a routine basis, before you started vaping?

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Some people fear change due to the unknown. It shouldn't be a big deal though. If it turns out to be a big deal then you might choose not to vape around her. Really your doing better for yourself and your the only one that needs convinced of that in the end. Good luck.

Super Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clovery View Post
    IMO don't vape around her and don't bring it up unless she asks. It's easy enough to go outside or take a few drags in the bathroom and no one will know. It's not worth upsetting your mother and arguing about it. When I smoked, my mom knew and didn't like it so I never did it in front of her. Vaping is the same way - just because it doesn't stink and pollute the air, doesn't mean I should feel entitled to do it when I'm sitting in her living room.
    This seems like it could be a touchy subject, but I don't think you should have to go outside or in the bathroom like a teenager who stole one if his dads cigarettes. This is the kind of thing where you should sit down as adults and discuss it. But in the end she is your mother but you should not be made to feel like you're doing something wrong, because you aren't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    b0redagain likes this.
    Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

leave her.

LOL

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mwplefty View Post
    ... I can understand why the visual of a smoker could be bothersome to her, especially since my e-cig looks EXACTLY like a traditional analog cigarette....
    She might have less of a problem with it if you switch to a non cigarette clone PV - an ego or kgo in SS, titanium, chrome, etc is sleek & sexy, especially topped with a slim tank with SS/chrome end caps and a SS drip tip - you'll retain the "cool" factor, but without the appearance of a cigarette, so less risk of her feeling that you're glorifying the image of a smoker. Plus, you'll get better battery life.

Sometimes a little compromise works wonders

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by yuttynutt View Post
    This seems like it could be a touchy subject, but I don't think you should have to go outside or in the bathroom like a teenager who stole one if his dads cigarettes. This is the kind of thing where you should sit down as adults and discuss it. But in the end she is your mother but you should not be made to feel like you're doing something wrong, because you aren't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    It sounds like the OP already discussed it and his mom has her opinion. If I lived with my mom, it'd be a different story, but when I'm just at her house because she invited me over for dinner, I don't have a problem offering to take out the trash and catching my vape then. My mom does a lot for me and I'm willing to minorly inconvenience myself to avoid upsetting her. I guess it might be different if I were a man.

ECF Veteran

Sounds like she works for the FDA.
    mwplefty likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Unless you are younger than 18 then your Mother should mind her own business. Some people can't be flipped. Try selling a conservative on a liberal issue or vice versa for example.

Bottom line. Her opinion is her problem not yours. Unless she's paying for your supplies!
    mwplefty likes this.
    Vaping an eGo-C Twist w/ KangerTech ProTank 3
    RIP Marlboro Ultra Lights: 1989-2010

ECF Veteran

She's right. And will be right as long as cigarettes are killing people.
    We're not smoking cigarettes, but we do make the act of inhaling, and blowing out stuff, pretty damn sexy. And yummy

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Back when i took psych 101 in college I remember something I heard that was common sense but also pretty profound. It's that all of us, on some level, are seeking parental approval for our entire lives. It may have been Freud who came up with this or perhaps Abraham Maslow, I can't recall now. In any event, the fact that you are somewhat worried about this is enough in my view. We owe some respect to our parents. At least most of us do.

At the same time, you've got to pursue you own happiness. The next time she brings this up, I'd say something like " I'd just prefer to not discuss it" and then maybe change it to a positive conversation.

People die from smoking yes, people die in car accidents too and no one is proposing that we quit driving. What they do is make seat belt laws so driving is safer. Vaping is a safer alternative.
    Taniger1, ohai, mwplefty and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast