Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking

Default My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking

When she found out that I was vaping, she confronted me about it. She told me that while there were no health risks involved, I was still sensationalizing the physical appearance of smokers. She said that I was glorifying the image of a smoker by using an e-cigarette and in some ways, I was taunting non-smokers by using my e-cig indoors where analog smoking is banned. My mother grew up with parents who both smoked. My grandfather smoked about 2-3 packs per day until his death in July 2004. My grandmother smoked about 1 pack per day until she quit in January 2004. My mother and her two sisters never smoked however. I can understand why the visual of a smoker could be bothersome to her, especially since my e-cig looks EXACTLY like a traditional analog cigarette. Yet, I don't see why she should care if I'm using it out of her sight. I think that I look "cool" when I vape. I'm not going to deny my vanity. Therefore, should I just vape when I'm not with her and not tell her that I vape? Or should I try to set the record straight and convince her that it is not the same as smoking harmful cigarettes? I tried the latter option once, but she did not listen.

Moved On Verified Member

Sounds like your stuck between a rock and a hard place. That's a tough one.

Boom... Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you are trying too hard to make her happy and gain her acceptance of your new found life style. I'd just do what I want to do and hope that she will see the good in it at some point.
    Iffy, mattiem, mwplefty and 3 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

you will never change her mind,,she never smoked so she can never understand either
    THE MORTAR........ Solid Brass construction with copper post contacts.just pure raw power !!!!

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Seems as though she knows it's not the same as smoking, yet will always associate with smoking due to history and the fact that it looks like smoking. I would'nt try to hard to prove it's worthiness, won't work. I would just keep on vaping and not do it around her, but if I lived with her she would just have to get used to it.

ECF Veteran

Hmmmm.....lets see here......smoke real cigs and you die..........vape and you live........

IMHO, she can't be reasoned with, as you said yourself, even though there are no health risks involved, it doesn't matter, she obviously can't handle, or even get the fact that you might enjoy this, and at lest its not smoking.

Solution, pretty simple really, tell her that if you are gonna get greif for it, you might as well do the real thing, this is the point where you should light up a real stogie.

At least, that's what I'd do, I'm a smart ass.
    b0redagain likes this.

Jude 24-25

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

IMO don't vape around her and don't bring it up unless she asks. It's easy enough to go outside or take a few drags in the bathroom and no one will know. It's not worth upsetting your mother and arguing about it. When I smoked, my mom knew and didn't like it so I never did it in front of her. Vaping is the same way - just because it doesn't stink and pollute the air, doesn't mean I should feel entitled to do it when I'm sitting in her living room.
    moonlight likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran arcturus's Avatar

If you're both adults, why is this an issue?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
    If you're both adults, why is this an issue?
    .....seriously, live your life and do what you want. mom will love you no matter what.

Boom... Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiral out keep going View Post
    mom will love you no matter what.
    Or judge you no matter what. That's what mom's do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast