What Did You Do Today? - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What Did You Do Today?

PV Master ECF Veteran

Well, I wasn't as focused as you. More like polishing what I currently have and thinking how to pack stuff into the truck. I rearranged my stuff to make it quicker to grab on the way out.

I did finish off the first tank of gas in my truck. 25.2 mpg driving as much like an ..... as I could to mimic bug out driving. 80% in town, and the rest on the freeway. 345 miles as close to "E" as I really cared to get it. I could throw 15 more gallons in the back easily to double that distance. That makes me happy, because it is roughly 1,200 miles to Phoenix from here, so I have some options now.

I also found that there is a small leak in the tank when it's completely full. Just enough to leave a dime size spot overnight, and make an awful smell . . . good thing I don't smoke anymore. Now I just have to identify it and see if it's repairable.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Here's a shot in the dark but... Check the filler tube hose where it connects to the tank. I've noticed that a lot of 'older' vehicles don't like the amount of ethanol that's being put into gas these days and it's degrading them. You might be able to find a replacement (if that's the problem) but if you can't, you can take the old one into an auto parts store and match it against a radiator hose. Both are chemical resistant . If it's an actual pin hole in the tank, you'll either have to find a new one, pay a buttload to have it repaired and re-lined, OR... get 'creative' and use some shoe-goo to patch the hole. There's an actual product available for repairing gas tanks that looks like rubber cement in a tube and it's the ONLY thing I've found that actually works and is gas resistant. But check the filler hose first

PV Master ECF Veteran

I'm going to get under there tonight and wash it so I can find where it's coming from. It almost looks like it might be coming from the seam, which wouldn't be good. It was a really cheap truck though, so I am planning on initial repair costs, but I never thought about a gas tank, LOL.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by whynotvap View Post
    Here's a shot in the dark but... Check the filler tube hose where it connects to the tank. I've noticed that a lot of 'older' vehicles don't like the amount of ethanol that's being put into gas these days and it's degrading them. You might be able to find a replacement (if that's the problem) but if you can't, you can take the old one into an auto parts store and match it against a radiator hose. Both are chemical resistant . If it's an actual pin hole in the tank, you'll either have to find a new one, pay a buttload to have it repaired and re-lined, OR... get 'creative' and use some shoe-goo to patch the hole. There's an actual product available for repairing gas tanks that looks like rubber cement in a tube and it's the ONLY thing I've found that actually works and is gas resistant. But check the filler hose first

Hey Whynot! I just have to pop in and say that I am in awe of the breadth of knowledge you have. It seems like whatever the topic is, you know a bit about it. No, I mean you know MORE than a bit about it. IRL you must be an amazing jack of all trades, and I really admire that. Since I don't know what you actuallly look like, I picture you in my head as MacGyver!!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

If it's a bad seam weld, you MIGHT be able to get away with an internal re-coat if it hasn't progressed too far and there isn't an actual hole to be seen. You or the shop will empty and drop the tank, pour the coating inside and swish it around to cover the entire inside of the tank. I've never had to do it but a friend who owns a 66 Barracuda did since it was less than half the cost of a replacement tank (which was few and far between). You might have better luck searching bone yards for a tank though. I'm not sure what year tanks are compatible but any 2nd generation 1987-1996 (mitsu production ran 3 years longer than 'dodge') tank should work if there isn't a difference between 2wd and 4wd models. FWIW, I did some quick searches and can't find anyone making reproduction tanks for them yet so be careful with the one you have!

PV Master ECF Veteran

It looks like some corrosion got started at the seam after looking closer. I'm going to wait until it gets down below that level and try some of this wonder caulking I've got and finish it with some JB Weld to see if it helps, otherwise I'll see about replacing it with a plastic tank I found or seal this one. No wonder it was so cheap . . . the guy didn't even hesitate when I countered his original price. That's what I was expecting though.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Well it isn't Z-day related but I went to Mt. Rainier yesterday. Just for kicks I'll put a link to the photobucket folder here for anyone interested. I don't have the photo of me taking the photo of the silver phase fox uploaded yet but I was able to get him within 3-4' of me! Stupid on my part but how many chances do you get at something like that?
    Mt Rainier spring 2011 pictures by motechnician - Photobucket
    and while I'm in a 'sharing mood' I'll add the link to my photo's from the AZ trip too with the 'chinaman tunnel' probably being the most interesting ones. Most of the local population don't even know it's there.
    AZ trip pictures by motechnician - Photobucket

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Great pictures. I love love Mt Rainier. I haven't been up there in awhile and now I really miss it.
    Thank you for sharing.
    (And Grand Canyon is my 2nd fav place in the world...I miss it now too.). Time to plan some vacation days I think.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Give Rainier a little more time to thaw, Paradise is the only entrance open right now and I've heard good things about the view farther down that road that was still closed. The Grand Canyon still doesn't seem real to me. Sooner or later I'll go to the glass floored overlook on the reservation and see if I can hold my water while doing it!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Nice pictures. Makes me eager to get out and stretch the legs a little more. Looks like it was a beautiful day!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast