secondary extraction to the tobacco with excess water
Published by tceight in the blog Designing an effective and Kitchen safe Whole Tobacco Alkaloid extraction. Views: 248
I added an additional 50ml of basic water to the 'already extracted' tobacco, and let it sit for 5 days. Partly to ensure that the water was taken up, through the oil coating everything, but mostly because of lack of time to get back to it.
The water was taken up quite readily, and the tobacco swelled up considerably.
I then did a further extraction with the mineral oil, copying the steps as before, doing 3 extraction with oil, letting each one sit for a full day.
Extracted the resultant mineral oil with acidic water, and then attempted to isolate any remaining alkaloids. There was a trace, but not enough to measure.
Next, I attempted a quick extraction from the tobacco using a more far more aggressive non-polar. After washing and isolating, I did end up with some additional alkaloids, with a much darker colour than the original ones. Very low volume, less than 0.05 ml as best as I can measure them. I can't titrate the result without knowing exactly what they are. It might be worth doing a much larger batch to get a more accurate measurement.
Next steps, are to dissolve the isolated alkaloids back into the mineral oil, and extract using a kitchen friendly process, to measure the efficiency of various methods.
You need to be logged in to comment