Actual Temperatures inside a Penguin SE
- This is a refillable "Pod Mod". Comes with 2 different "Atopack" coils,, a 0.25 ohm for DTL and 0.6 ohm for MtL.
- It is a direct output mod, ie it is like a mech, no regulation.
- There is no airflow adjustment and MtL is a little too airy, but it is easily modded to restrict airflow to 50%.
- Common complaint on these atopack coils is dry hits. Avoiding high VG and/or doing the 50% airflow mod reduces this to near zero.
- Based on testing I would say it is plenty safe at .6ohms, while the 0.25 ohm is marginally hot.
Threaded probe through pod cartridge and inserted next to coil.
These are the test results.
Sample test graph: .025 ohm coil with 100% airflow
To make the 50% airflow reduction mod, you can just put a piece of tape over part of the airholes.
Or if you want something more elegant, plug the air channel from the bottom.
Remove the silicone plug, being careful not to lose ( and subsequently replace) the little metal plate.
Place a piece of cotton in half the air channel, it has a nice divider down the middle so 50% restriction is easy.
Some other thoughts.
Follow up dissection:
- I vape unflavored, so you may have different results with flavored juices. But with unflavored I will sometimes get that "ever so slightly" scorched tasting hit. Not a full on Devils Butt burnt hit, just slightly scorched. When I get those I "STOP", if I hit it again I know I will get Devils Butt next time. I will cover the air channel with my thumb and do a couple of dry puffs without firing, and without airflow. That creates enough vacuum to pull some juice into the coil. I am usually good to go after that.
- The other thing is the juice level window in the Penguin SE can be hard to see. If you ever let you tank run dry and get a single Devil Butt hit, that coil is shot, there is no salvaging it. I make it a habit to fill my tanks when I see only about 25% in the window.
- When refilling the the tank, I know you can push it and put 9ml in the tank. That actually works against you as it creates more vapor-lock inside the tank. I have found much better results by filling the tank only about 90% and leaving a nice little air bubble in it.
It is standard lipo pack technology, except that it is oval shaped instead of the usual flat packs we see.
At full charge I measure 4.18v which is what I expected. There are no regulation electronics at all except for the battery management. So it is indeed akin to an electronic mech.
©2017 Mike Petro. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
You need to be logged in to comment