[DIY] Tip - Using glass stirring rods to transfer liquids between bottles

I've found this useful to transfer my flavor concentrates from the plastic bottles they come in to glass bottles for better storage.

tfa-resupply_20150206_193249_zpsfwsuy400.png

Glass stirring rods make for a simple way to transfer liquids from one bottle to another with a much-reduced risk of spilling any, and they are quicker/easier to clean up between flavors than glass funnels. This is a transfer method I was taught many years ago in high school chemistry class.

Stick the rod into the bottle you're going to pour into:

keylime1_20150223_195949_zpsixls4smm.png

Then while holding the rod with one hand where it isn't touching the destination bottle's mouth near the top edge (to avoid overflow/spills), you hold the source bottle with the bottom of its mouth in contact with the rod:

keylime2_20150223_200133_zpsjhindq0j.png

Note: In this picture, the glass rod is touching the destination bottle's mouth -- see picture below for a better example... (one of those situations where 3 hands would be helpful...)

and then carefully/slowly pour. The liquid will flow along the stirring rod into the bottle instead of in an uncontrolled fashion:

keylime3_20150223_200454_zpsbxddanpl.png

Make sure to keep the bottom of the source bottle's mouth in contact with the stirring rod, and stop when the top edge of the source bottle's mouth starts to touch the rod. When the top of the source bottle's mouth is up against the stirring rod, you can lift the rod out some and lower the angle of the rod to be able turn the source bottle up higher. When you're done, it's fast and easy to rinse off the rod and wipe it dry for the next transfer.

If you've never done this before, you can practice with water once or twice and you'll have the hang of it before you transfer the good stuff!

Mix on!!! :)

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
Nic-holio
Views
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Nic-holio