Everyone thinks they're a writer.

Or, as they commonly say on the vaping blog circuit, their a writer. Or there a writer. I've been reading a lot of vaping blogs recently and never have I shaken my head more at the number of people that can't use the English language properly. This would be fine if they were merely keeping their ignorance to themselves, but no, they insist on publishing their words on the internet for all to see.

There are numerous articles available that point to these errors, so I won't go into all of them here. A simple Google search for 10 common grammar mistakes will bring them up. The fact that the correct information is so readily accessed only makes it more frustrating that self-proclaimed writers continue to make the same errors over and over again. They need to return to 5th grade grammar classes before being presented with a keyboard.

I am going to rant about one particular error, however. Since some bloggers tend to be a preachy bunch, pontificating to the reader on a regular basis, I must bring up the difference between "your" and "you're". Not even mentioning that it is bad form to continually address the reading audience as "you", I am hoping they will please get it straight: If the words "you are" can be comfortably inserted into the sentence, then "you're" should be used. If the sentence is referring to something in the possessive, such as "your mother", then "your" is the correct word.

Let us all hope, for the sake of my sanity, that this word will spread amongst vaping bloggers everywhere.

Comments

Blog entry information

Author
Joyce
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Joyce