Part Deux - For the advanced education of mech and RBA users...

Published by State O' Flux in the blog State O' Flux's blog. Views: 12

I've exceeded the 10K character limit in part one... so, here's part deux!

> Addendum 2-17-14:
A coil calculator, developed by ECF member Dampmaskin and called "Steam Engine" (previously called "vape calc") has become available.
It includes not only an ohms law calculator, but a coil wrap estimator that includes parameters like ID, target resistance, leg or "tail" length, "heat flux" (coil temperature values), "heat capacity" (coil "lag time"), coil wrap counts... and a battery drain calculator as well.
IMO, this may prove to be the single most handy link any coil builder can have bookmarked... see 2015 addendum for updated information.

> Addendum 5-13-14:
Martin Lorton... a gent who knows a thing or two about meters, has produced a number of DMM reviews and buyers guides. Of particular interest to those looking for a good mid-price DMM... the 4 part series buyers guide UNI-T UT61E.

>Addendum 8-2-14:
Coil building fixtures. Yes, you've seen the universal single coil fixtures you can buy... from under $10 for a Tobeco jig, to a good deal more for the Hexacoiler, Danish TotalSteam and QVapes Coiler. They all do the same thing... make it easy to build an assortment of coils in a variety of IDs.
Update 1-7-15: The "Kuro Koiler", designed by Jon Kuro ('Jkuro' on most forums) is out and available... and it works very well. Not cheap, but a very elegant and clever design, especially if you have a frequently used coil ID.
For the budget minded, there are now China clones of most of the above fixtures. In fact, FastTech has close to 50 versions/multiples available.

How about 'specialty' fixtures? Can't buy them... you have to make them. One of the very best RDAs to came out this year, is the Veritas - from "faceless" the maker of the iHybrid line.
Dual vertical coils and a unique air flow system that is near leak-proof... and allows for filling without any disassembly or DT removal. I got one... and the first thing I found out was that it's not easy to make a nice, single looped wire/dual coil set - on the atomizer.

Where am I going with all this? A guide to make your own dedicated "pattern duplicate" jig for an atomizer. Not just the Veritas... but any atty you think a custom jig might benefit from. Get creative!

> Addendum 10-27-14:
Tech Thing "Half-Ohm" plug-in adapter
. What this is, is a converter that you plug into your DMM, allowing you to measure milliohm values quite accurately... for only $20.
Of course, the level and consistency of that accuracy will depend on the quality of your meter and test leads as well... but considering what a real, 4-wire milliohm meter costs, it's a hell of a deal and can be far more accurate than the usual cheap China ohm meter/build box.
Speaking of ohm meter/build boxes... if you like them and want a good one without spending $60-$80 - USA Ohm Meters makes one of the most accurate and consistent boxes I've ever used.

> Addendum 1-7-15: I've written a 2-part users guide for those having trouble understanding some aspects of the Steam Engine coil modelling program - part 1 and Part 2. the latter of which deals exclusively with heat flux and heat capacity.

Although Dampmaskin has done a wonderful job overall (for my needs, the best complete vapist's calculator made)... I felt a more in depth explanation was required for some users, particularly in the area of tuning wattage or build for a desired heat flux/heat capacity.

> Addendum 2-17-15:
For those who're new to mech mods, and are perhaps having an issue with voltage drop (VD), and/or "hot button conditions... "How Mechancal Mods Work" may provide a bit of insight.

>Addendum 4-2-15:
I've added several articles, which are extensions of Parts 1 & 2 of the Steam engine modeling program guide... they are:
"The practical applications of heat flux", "Sub-Ohm... what's the point" and "Optimizing heat flux - chart design"

Just like in part one.... Members that have, of their own accord, spent time producing valuable & practical educational material... for those seeking knowledge and understanding. If you get a chance, somewhere along the line, take a moment to say thank you to them.

As always, take it for what it is, do with it what you will.

Ciao...
Ryedan likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment