Actual Temperatures inside a Penguin SE

Penguin SE
upload_2017-8-12_15-44-30.png

• This is a refillable "Pod mod". Comes with 2 different "Atopack" coils,, a 0.25 ohm for DTL and 0.6 ohm for MtL.
  • It is a direct output mod, ie it is like a mech, no regulation.
  • There is no airflow adjustment and MtL is a little too airy, but it is easily modded to restrict airflow to 50%.
  • Common complaint on these atopack coils is dry hits. Avoiding high VG and/or doing the 50% airflow mod reduces this to near zero.
  • Based on testing I would say it is plenty safe at .6ohms, while the 0.25 ohm is marginally hot.

Threaded probe through pod cartridge and inserted next to coil.

20170812_115647.jpg

20170812_115659.jpg

20170812_115947.jpg

These are the test results.
p-stats.jpg

Sample test graph: .025 ohm coil with 100% airflow

p-20-100.jpg

To make the 50% airflow reduction mod, you can just put a piece of tape over part of the airholes.
upload_2017-8-12_15-45-22.png

Or if you want something more elegant, plug the air channel from the bottom.

Remove the silicone plug, being careful not to lose ( and subsequently replace) the little metal plate.

p-sil.jpg

p-sil2.jpg

Place a piece of cotton in half the air channel, it has a nice divider down the middle so 50% restriction is easy.
20170809_173725.jpg

20170809_173728.jpg

Some other thoughts.
  • I vape unflavored, so you may have different results with flavored juices. But with unflavored I will sometimes get that "ever so slightly" scorched tasting hit. Not a full on Devils .... burnt hit, just slightly scorched. When I get those I "STOP", if I hit it again I know I will get Devils .... next time. I will cover the air channel with my thumb and do a couple of dry puffs without firing, and without airflow. That creates enough vacuum to pull some juice into the coil. I am usually good to go after that.
  • The other thing is the juice level window in the Penguin SE can be hard to see. If you ever let you tank run dry and get a single Devil .... hit, that coil is shot, there is no salvaging it. I make it a habit to fill my tanks when I see only about 25% in the window.
  • When refilling the the tank, I know you can push it and put 9ml in the tank. That actually works against you as it creates more vapor-lock inside the tank. I have found much better results by filling the tank only about 90% and leaving a nice little air bubble in it.

One trick I have been doing is soaking my spare cartridges in unflavored juice in a pill bottle for a week or more, actually I just keep a bunch there until I need them. Havent had a priming issue since doing this, reduces the infant mortality rate.

20171008_103528.jpg

Follow up dissection:
It is standard lipo pack technology, except that it is oval shaped instead of the usual flat packs we see.

At full charge I measure 4.18v which is what I expected. There are no regulation electronics at all except for the battery management. So it is indeed akin to an electronic mech.

20170917_180759.jpg

20170917_180837.jpg

20170917_180817.jpg

©2017 Mike Petro. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.

Comments

Awesome blog Mike.

Personally I found that blocking half the airway like you did with cotton (but instead sticking an o-ring inside one of the pod's air channels) caused an instant dry hit, and burnt coil (cotton). Though I may have been trying a 0.25 ohm coil at the time.

My solution to dry hits is to carefully poke 4 to 6 tiny holes into the coil's cotton with a sewing needle, through the juice inlet hole. After the coil/cotton is broke-in I can happily chain vape as I normally do without dry hits.

Blog entry information

Author
mikepetro
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from mikepetro