Tfa American Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I like it at 6% but I have other ingredients in the mix. To me it's a lot like dekang mlb but slightly more of the 'hay' or 'grass' note. I get some of that 'freshly opened pack smell' taste that I like so well.

It also mixes well with other flavors for some ry4 type mixes or some pipe mixes.

Edit: ps, steeping time was a about a week on my mixes, but maybe should of been longer.

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
I really don't like this as a tobacco at all. To me, even when steeped long, it still smells "mediciney/sweet" like the bottle. I can't put my finger on it, but since ubergeek brought up "grass;" mowed lawn is kind of the medicine taste I was referring to come to think of it. If that makes any sense?

I tried it with some Ripe Banana, which worked surprisingly well. There's nothing really tobacco about it to me, just goes to show how subjective tobaccos can be. Try some banana if you have some... 10% Red 6% Ripe Banana. You don't really taste the Red, and yet somehow it made the Banana taste real, not like the candy that RB smells like from the bottle. A "grown ups" Banana lol. Certainly vapable juice.

-B

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
Yeal, it smells really pungent but calms down in the mix--to my taste buds at least.

6% red, 4% apple, 1 drop acv per 5ml, and 2 drops brown sugar extra per 5ml makes a good pipe type mix. I just ordered some more apple and I'll mix this up again as soon as it comes in. :vapor:

Pardon my ignorance but what is acv?

Calivapr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
USA
I like it at 6% but I have other ingredients in the mix. To me it's a lot like dekang mlb but slightly more of the 'hay' or 'grass' note. I get some of that 'freshly opened pack smell' taste that I like so well.

It also mixes well with other flavors for some ry4 type mixes or some pipe mixes.

Edit: ps, steeping time was a about a week on my mixes, but maybe should of been longer.

"Freshly opened pack smell" - wow, not in a million years would I have thought of describing this liquid in that way, but this is a very accurate description indeed. It really remind of that. Unfortunately, it's a smell I've never really liked, so needless to say when I made this liquid (at 10%), gave it a hot water bath steeping for 3 days and vaped it, I was less than impressed, for sure. I thought perhaps that "raw" smell and taste might disappear with more steeping.

It does give me some hope to see that others are finding success by mixing it with other stuff. I made a 10ml bottle of it and will try to salvage it with 5% Hazelnut, to keep the flavor dry, and see what happens. I'll report back, thanks.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
"Freshly opened pack smell"......... I made this liquid (at 10%), gave it a hot water bath steeping for 3 days and vaped it, I was less than impressed, for sure. I thought perhaps that "raw" smell and taste might disappear with more steeping.

It does give me some hope to see that others are finding success by mixing it with other stuff. I made a 10ml bottle of it and will try to salvage it with 5% Hazelnut, to keep the flavor dry, and see what happens. I'll report back, thanks. ...........

I really like that flavor but as ubergeek said, I don't want it too overpowering. If you have any mild tobacco flavors that need stiffening up a little you could experiment with mixing a little red with it. I plan on trying it with some FA 7 leaves to see how that goes.

The hazelnut sounds good. Which one are you using? When I read that I remembered that I'm out of TFA peanut butter and didn't order it, dag nab it. The only nut flavors I've tried so far are (TFA) roasted almond, black walnut and peanut butter. I think I'll pick up some hazelnut to try as well.

Calivapr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
USA
... The hazelnut sounds good. Which one are you using? ...

The TFA one. I've already added it to the mix to make up 5%, steeping now. If I didn't have the Hazelnut, I would have tried any of the other nut flavors you named. If you do get around to trying to mix those with the American Reds, let us know, curious to see how that would turn out.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I found it to be unbelievably disgusting. Even at 5% the floral aspect of the flavor was terribly overpowering. I steeped it for weeks and it didn't get better. When I say floral, I don't get the fresh mowed grass or hay smell at all from it- to me it smells more like what my nose and taste buds combined would tell me if I started chewing on a combination of dandelions, roses, tulips, orchids, and lavendar flowers.. you get the drift- it's offensive to the point that when I smell it, it makes me gag a little and feel sick to my stomach. I dumped it and couldn't get the stench out of the bottle, even with a vodka soak, the bottle too ultimately went into the trash as well.

LOL.. sounds like an angry review, but I wanted to put in my two cents on this flavor, and I honestly couldn't possibly think any lower of any flavor I've ever sampled.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
^^^^One of two things. Either it shows how varied our taste buds can be, or you got a bad batch. Probably the first but bad batches do happen. If supply tubes get changed without being thoroughly cleaned then it's hard to predict what the first part of that run will taste like. As the old saying goes 'it's hard to find good help' lol.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I found it to be unbelievably disgusting. Even at 5% the floral aspect of the flavor was terribly overpowering. I steeped it for weeks and it didn't get better. When I say floral, I don't get the fresh mowed grass or hay smell at all from it- to me it smells more like what my nose and taste buds combined would tell me if I started chewing on a combination of dandelions, roses, tulips, orchids, and lavendar flowers.. you get the drift- it's offensive to the point that when I smell it, it makes me gag a little and feel sick to my stomach. I dumped it and couldn't get the stench out of the bottle, even with a vodka soak, the bottle too ultimately went into the trash as well.

LOL.. sounds like an angry review, but I wanted to put in my two cents on this flavor, and I honestly couldn't possibly think any lower of any flavor I've ever sampled.

We got ours and mixed it at 1%, 2.5% & 5%...and it was overwhelmingly "wrong" to us at 1%. It smells to us something like a very weak, very dirty, very old, package of opened generic mint gum...that had been laying at the bottom of a musty purse, with and handful old dried flower/herbs that had been in the bottom of a purse for quite a few years (next to an opened pack of stale cigs).

I can only imagine how foul it would have been to vape it at 5%.

You don't seem at ALL "angry" to me. In fact, I'm very glad you posted your experience! Without your opinion/report, we may have spent lots of time, effort money trying to work with it at percentages that would never be vapable for us.

I think we'll mix 2-5 drops into 10mls, let it steep, and see if perhaps we can find a place for it somewhere along the line...or not! :::grin:::

Calivapr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
USA
I actually had confused this flavor with another one, called M-Type and went into a longgg review about it, and at the end I realize I was in the wrong thread, lol. :facepalm:

Well here is the short version, after a 2-3 week steep: I immediately disliked this flavor, perhaps there is something wrong, so I left it alone for over 2 weeks. After steeping ,I still couldn't take it. What is it about this flavor? Sure enough I still had 2 unfinished packs of Marlboros in my night table that I had not touched for several weeks. I took one out, went outside and lit it up.

I took a drag, and then I took 2, and right at about the 3rd one, I am certain, TFA American Red captures the taste of a real Marlboro cigarette in a very very accurate way. I wonder to myself how in the world could I have smoked this for 28 years when I can barely have it now and moreover, seem to REALLY dislike it's vaping clone, TFA American Red? I guess vaping has completely altered my sensory satisfaction. I mean no offense to those who enjoy TFA American Red, by all means I wish you continued enjoyment, but this flavor is not for everyone, for sure.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've been lurking and following this thread. I ordered some American Red on my last WL order about a month ago and hadn't mixed anything with it until Saturday. I mixed it at 2.5% with 2.5% ethyl maltol with my standard 60/40/8mg base. It's been sitting on my desk since Saturday morning, a whole three days, plus or minus a few hours. I just tried it out of curiosity and it wasn't bad at all. I think more steeping will help, but I do see possibilities with it at a low percentage. I don't think it works well enough to be a stand-alone flavor, and that's true of most tobacco flavors for me, but with a little tweaking it should make a great tobacco flavor, at least I'm hoping it will.

I do think most of the tobacco flavors are very strong and need to be mixed at a very low percentage until you figure out what works best. Between everyone's differing tastes, sensitivity to tastes and just plain old likes and dislikes it can be a bear to find that "sweet spot" with any flavor.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
........I do think most of the tobacco flavors are very strong and need to be mixed at a very low percentage until you figure out what works best. .......

Agreed. I had to go all the way down to about 3 percent to get some hangsen flavors to work for me. Probably the strongest I mix is the TFA double ry4 that I like at 10 percent and steeped about 4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread