DNA20D Lightsaber

Status
Not open for further replies.

killjoyken

Verified Member
May 22, 2013
San Jose, CA

Being the huge Star Wars geek that I am, I've been wanting to make a full size lightsaber PV for a while. I originally wanted to use a Force FX saber, but couldn't find a good deal on a broken one and didn't want to sacrifice mine. I happened to find a cheaper alternative with a $7 lightsaber flashlight that looks good enough even though it's made of plastic.

Everything was a tight fit and the USB port on the back didn't come out very clean, but overall I still love it. It's currently running on a single AW IMR 18650 and has a 510 connector from a broken eVic. I've been extremely happy with the DNA20. It's the only VW device I've tried that compares to the Provari. Personally I don't care if it's VV or VW, but having the resistance and battery always on the display is mighty convenient. Plus the USB charging and pass-thru capability is really handy since it's a pain to remove the battery.

Here's a size comparison with a Provari Mini and Provari with the 18650 extension. Not exactly pocket size. :blink:

killjoyken

Verified Member
May 22, 2013
San Jose, CA
This thing is awesome! Keep up the good work man

Thanks!

funny thing, i built a lightsabre a few years ago with all the sounds and crap and now i am wondering if i can mod a vamo into it and keep the sounds etc.....hmmm

I was planning on keeping the sound board and LEDs, but ran out of space. I had to cut and dremel out a lot of plastic just to fit an 18650 in the base. This flashlight is a little smaller than the replica Force FX lightsabers that would easily have more room for electronics.

There's a guy on YouTube that has made a lightsaber mod that makes the sound of a lightsaber when you move it around. I think he used a hasbro lightsaber.

Op- that's a great build. How sturdy is the plastic, and how realistic is it in person?

Honestly, not very sturdy. I wouldn't expect it to survive a 5 foot fall onto concrete. Probably a little more durable than an eVic. ;) Realistic? Kinda. It looks and feels like plastic, but looks good sitting on my desk unless you put it next to a Force FX saber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread