Should we vape juices that eat through plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Hi. Any opinions on this: Should we be vaping juices that are capable of eating through plastic tanks? Juices like radiator pluid, etc? Kinda makes you wonder what it might be doing to your lungs. Of course everyone is free to do as they wish, just wondering about the health issue? Anyone else prefer natural flavors and no artificial color?

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

HeavyUser

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
NewYork
I just got my first 2 bottles of Pluid cutter. I put it in a carto tank and with 8 hours of smoking it I started noticing a brown run off coming out of my carto holes. I can only assume the Pluid is somehow dissolving whatever is getting gunked on the coil. Today I decided that anythign that will eat away at platic for whatever reason I'm not going to smoke. I'm not a health nut but in my opion this is just wrong. Its already hard enough for me to vape knowing there is no concrete evidence that it is safe. I was never a smoker of cigs before I started vaping. This is just all my opinion.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everyone calm down. :ohmy: The issue here is a chemical reaction between specific flavoring agents to a specific plastic - polycarbonate. This link has an interesting explanation of the process: » Why Do Some E-liquids Crack Plastic Tanks?

The molecules of certain flavors can have a chemical attraction to certain components of polycarbonate plastic. As more and more bonds are made, the plastic weakens and either cracks or melts. This in no way means that these specific flavors do the same thing to your lungs when you vape it. :rolleyes:

As an anology, everyone here likely drinks soda pop and has had no issues with it dissolving away your stomach. But many people will apply soda pop to the corrosive buildup on a car battery's terminals to make it dissolve away.

The choice is obviously your own to decide whether to vape one of these flavors. I have a few Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors that I have used for months and have had no pulmonary problems from doing so. Nearly all of my juice delivery devices are made of pyrex glass.

For additional information on this topic, including a video of a clearomizer melting and safe options to use with these flavors, read this blog article that I wrote: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-something-safe-cinnamon-citrus-flavors.html

Last edited:

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
I just got my first 2 bottles of Pluid cutter. I put it in a carto tank and with 8 hours of smoking it I started noticing a brown run off coming out of my carto holes. I can only assume the Pluid is somehow dissolving whatever is getting gunked on the coil. Today I decided that anythign that will eat away at platic for whatever reason I'm not going to smoke. I'm not a health nut but in my opion this is just wrong. Its already hard enough for me to vape knowing there is no concrete evidence that it is safe. I was never a smoker of cigs before I started vaping. This is just all my opinion.

May I ask what got you into e cigs?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Everyone calm down. :ohmy: The issue here is a chemical reaction between specific flavoring agents to a specific plastic - polycarbonate. This link has an interesting explanation of the process: » Why Do Some E-liquids Crack Plastic Tanks?

The molecules of certain flavors can have a chemical attraction to certain components of polycarbonate plastic. As more and more bonds are made, the plastic weakens and either cracks or melts. This in no way means that these specific flavors do the same thing to your lungs when you vape it. :rolleyes:

As an anology, everyone here likely drinks soda pop and has had no issues with it dissolving away your stomach. But many people will apply soda pop to the corrosive buildup on a car battery's terminals to make it dissolve away.

The choice is obviously your own to decide whether to vape one of these flavors. I have a few Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors that I have used for months and have had no pulmonary problems from doing so. Nearly all of my juice delivery devices are made of pyrex glass.

For additional information on this topic, including a video of a clearomizer melting and safe options to use with these flavors, read this blog article that I wrote: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-something-safe-cinnamon-citrus-flavors.html

Yeah, I have been wondering about the safety of dihydrogen monoxide--after all, it does corrode metal. :lol::lol::lol:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I enjoy smoking. I understnad the chemical reaction involving the plastic, I guess I'd just like to know why im getting a brown runoff coming out of my cartomizer. It's a hell of a turn off.

I realize you're new to vaping, but we are not "smoking". There is no burning of anything and there is no smoke involved, just vapor. Sorry if this is nit-picking, but this is a pet peeve of mine. :)

I have no idea what is happening with your Pluid and cartomizer. I have Pluid in a cartotank, too, and I've never experienced that with that flavor or any other. :unsure:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have, unfortunately, in the past been exposed to several highly toxic gasses.
Phosgene Gas
Muriatic Acid fumes
Ammonia
Fumes from Cosmicoat - tar pitch - burns skin like severe sunburn on exposure.

None of these things did any significant damage to my lungs, though a few scared the heck out of me.
I feel much safer with most of the flavors we vape.

Caution note: I did receive an e-liquid that was severely NO E-LIQUID.
Had NO TASTE
Had no VAPOR
Caused Instant BURNING in lungs and almost stopped breathing.
Thinned to 1% in 5ml unflavored and got the same result in 1 vape attempt Lung Fire
Dumped the bottle
Never did find out what it was and the Vender never did anything about it.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Im vaping the cutter only, so its got that white milky color to it. I think if it was that green color I probably wouldnt be able to notice it.

His liquid is high VG, isn't it? It could be that. I have a few liquids that do that- turn really dark and the tank looks a bit funky. Some liquid really gunks up the coils and don't play all that nice with cartos. Not a very scientific answer, but it's hot. :laugh: How does it taste? You could try thinning it a bit.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Hi. Any opinions on this: Should we be vaping juices that are capable of eating through plastic tanks? Juices like radiator pluid, etc? Kinda makes you wonder what it might be doing to your lungs. Of course everyone is free to do as they wish, just wondering about the health issue? Anyone else prefer natural flavors and no artificial color?

Your lun;)gs are not made from plastic.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada

Your lungs are not made of plastic.:2cool:

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada

Your lungs are not made of plastic.:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread