Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Sacramento, California, United States

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Thanks. I haven't tried cable yet, just answering the OP question. Is the cable tricky to set-up? Seems like there'd be gaps (mini hotspots) between the coil & the strands of cable? No?

You just wrap a small piece of mesh at the top too smooth out the cable for wrapping,no hot spots.

IMG_2018.jpg

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I like this place for mesh The Mesh Co, at least it was when I used SS mesh. I bought 6 6"x12" sheets from them several months ago, I still have 5.5 sheets left, lol.

Cable was fun to experiment with but not a realistic all-day-every-day setup, imo. It retains so much heat and cooks juice faster than any other setup I've tried.

SkinyFatMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
I like this place for mesh The Mesh Co, at least it was when I used SS mesh. I bought 6 6"x12" sheets from them several months ago, I still have 5.5 sheets left, lol.

Cable was fun to experiment with but not a realistic all-day-every-day setup, imo. It retains so much heat and cooks juice faster than any other setup I've tried.

What about the ss mesh wire that one of the people made? They said it had all the properties of the wire, but would not heat up so bad.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I'm not sure what mesh wire you're referring to. If you're talking about the SS mesh tube wicks (several tiny tubes of ss mesh twisted together) that pdib was making they are (in my experience) very very very difficult and tedious to do without crushing them, your mileage may vary.

As far as I'm concerned conductive metal wick materials are... just not.. desireable, for any quality they exhibit. There are better performing, better tasting options. SS mesh was the original genesis style atty wick material (someone correct me if I'm wrong please). If I were offering guidance to a friend I would steer them away from SS altogether based on how finicky and frustrating it can be learning how to set it up right, and the "oh my gawd just kill me now" AWFUL THROAT BURNING dry hits you get if you burn them dry or a short develops mid tank (which will make the taste worse than awful even if the wick is saturated and can be difficult to identify on a wet wick)

Honestly, I would only recommend a new person to mess around learning to work with SS if they want to get all nostalgic and see for themselves what it was like in the early days before all of the (far superior) options we have now.

What kind of atomizer are building this wick/coil for? Sorry, just re-read your OP, I see you're getting an RSST.

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
For an RSST: Ekowool or XC-116 Nextel ceramic braided rope. 26 or 28g kanthal for the coil.

This is what I copied (for the most part, my coil was a bit different) when I finally got fed up with SS. The pic is from forum member pdib.
You would cut the longer end off just under the coil, so it's doubled up above the genny deck and only one leg dips down into the tank.

IMAG1356_zpsada17eb0.jpg

This is my wick in an AGA. It may look a little sloppy in the pic but it was a fantastic vape, far superior to any SS mesh or rope I used.

20130601_011046.jpg

You asked for mech suggestions in the OP so here goes...

I wouldn't recommend an RSST, or any other genesis tank, in the first place anyways. At this point I could not go back to the hassles of maintaining them after switching to dripping. That said.. the conveniences, ease of use and maintenance, capacity of a genesis tank, accommodation of big batteries in a small package, freshness of flavor that comes with dripping... can all be had with a REO, an RM2 (rebuildable bottom fed atty sold by REOS MODS), and a ball of cotton.

Just my opinions :)

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I got my Ekowool and resistance wire from Kidney Puncher and I got my Nextel from BigTex Vapor.

More suggestions? Don't stop asking questions :) and don't be intimidated by rebuilding. There are risks involved, more like safety precautions one should observe but if done properly it's a WHOLE LOT safer than driving a car :p.

Some safety points to keep in mind: Know your resistance and know you didn't build a short before firing it on a mod. Don't try building sub-ohm coils until you understand the basics of battery discharge rates and are able to calculate what amperage you are pulling out of your batteries. Be aware of battery voltage both coming off the charger and going back on it, don't discharge them too low and if they are over or undercharging (should always be right at 4.2v+/-.02v coming off the charger) there is a problem with the battery or the charger)

Oh, also.. vape safe and have fun! :)

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Classifieds or REOSMODS.com

I'd still recommend The Mesh Company, they are good folks to do business with, in my experience. Although looking at their site now it seems their prices may have gone up :(

If you want to shoot me a pm with a shipping address I'll send you a 6"x12" sheet of #500 mesh for nothing. You can get quite a few wicks out of that size sheet (when I was using mesh I was cutting out about 3"x1.5")

SkinyFatMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Here's a link to reosmods along w/a fair warning; once you try a Reo/RM2 there is no turning back.;)

reosmods.com

Also the Reo section of ECF where you can learn more:

Reos Mods

That's some good looking stuff (with a price point to go with it).

Maybe I'll look into getting one someday. For now I'll just try the Ekowool and Nextel (and maybe try the wire wick too?). What size diameter should I get for the RSST??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread