Kanger vs IClear 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
We have been vamping with an EGo/IClear 16 combo and after doing some research, we got ourselves a couple of Kanger bottom feeder tanks. After vaping with the Kanger for a few hours, I am thinking the IClear 16's produce a much tastier vape.

What are your thoughts? We filled the Kanger's, primed the wicks and let the tanks sit for 10 minutes before vaping. Was a little disappointed. Maybe we have done something incorrectly. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Perhaps you're experience the difference between top and bottom coil units.

Presuming you're testing with the same juice and same wattage, the bottom coil will likely be a cooler vape. If possible (and if you want), try increasing the watts on the B/C a bit to see if you like the change. (If your only battery is fixed voltage, you'd need to change the Kanger to a lower ohm coil to effectively raise the watts.)

Top and bottoms do vape differently. Neither is right or wrong. Rather, the one that you like is the one that's right for you.

Would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things!

I use the Kanger eVods, T3's and Inokin iClear 16's. Started with the T3's (1.8 ohm) and found the draw was harder but overall much better than the DCT's I had. Next I purchased the Kanger eVods (1.8 ohm); much better flavor and vapor compared to the T3's. Purchased some iClear 16's (1.8 ohm) and have been blown away by the flavor and vapor. I originally was vaping them with an ego VV2 till it crapped out, but have since been using back and forth on an ego c and itaste vv. 3.7v is perfect for the iClear 1.8 ohm and johnson creek VG smoke juice.

Btw: tried the 2.2ohm coils in the kangers on the ego and they sucked; hard draw already and weak vapor, switched back to 1.8 ohms in them and they are decent.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
Thanks to you both for the helpful information. I am not sure what ohm the Kanger heads are...didn't even think to ask when we purchased them. Are they marked? I think I agree with you BamBam, I switched back to Thea IClear tank this morning with the same flavor of juice and there is a HUGE difference. It may have to do with the ohms...I am not sure.

We are about to enter the DIY Juice world and we decided to buy VG based nicotine. I had read that will produce a thicker ejuice, hence the decision to buy some bottom wicking tanks. Now that I think about it a bit, I bet I can mix a higher ratio Pg/VG (more PG) and produce a thinner ejuice...correct?

Thanks again to the advice folks. This site has taught us soooo much already!

Official

Jul 11, 2013
Chesapeake, VA, USA
I am new to vaping, after doing research i decided to go with a kanger protank and the ego c twist variable voltage battery. the main reason i got the protank was because it was glass instead of plastic and you dont have to worry about what juice you use. many complained of an airy draw on the protanks but it is so much better than the blus i started with so i guess ignorance is bliss. i have not tried using a lower resistance head yet but that will be my next experiment. i have not heard anything bad about the iclear 30s so im assuming thats a great buy also. hope this helps.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The Kanger heads are marked, but you have to take them apart - all the way apart! - to see it, so it's not really very useful. Seems like they mostly come "stock" with 2.4 / 2.5 ohm heads.

Yes, all VG will be thick, and may cause wicking problems with top coils like the Iclear, Nova and CEx styles. Yes, you can thin it by adding PG. Just be aware that if the PG you use is a different nic level you'll also be changing that.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
The Kanger heads are marked, but you have to take them apart - all the way apart! - to see it, so it's not really very useful. Seems like they mostly come "stock" with 2.4 / 2.5 ohm heads.

Yes, all VG will be thick, and may cause wicking problems with top coils like the Iclear, Nova and CEx styles. Yes, you can thin it by adding PG. Just be aware that if the PG you use is a different nic level you'll also be changing that.

Good info...thanks!

So, lets say I am using VG based nicotine and I add the flavoring and then PG (0 nic)...this should do the thinning, correct? I will be using a recipe calculator and I am thinking this will aid in the proper ratios. Am I correct in these assumptions?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Disclaimer first - I don't mix my own juice.

Flavoring and 0 nic PG will both decrease the total nic in the final mix. A good recipe calculator should tell you how much, yes.

I don't know about the viscosity of the flavorings - I'd suspect there's a great variety - but the PG will certainly lower the viscosity.

And I think you need a few more posts, but there are whole threads devoted to DIY mixology, which might be the next part of ECF for your investigations.

Official

Jul 11, 2013
Chesapeake, VA, USA

yes the kanger heads come mostly stock with a 2.5/2.5 ohm resistors. they are very easy to take apart though and the heads are easily replaceable. ive been doing some reasearch on rebuilding them lately. its a little more in depth to rebuild instead of replace but im interested to see the difference in the vapor.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Depends on the juice and what number rinse I'm on :)

Sometimes the Protank will work really well. But I still really don't care for the mouthpiece of the draw. The flavor is all over the place sometimes. The same tankful will be really good, let it sit for a while, and then it's bad.

The iclears are more trouble free for me, since I know their quirks and they are predictable in that regards. I do prefer the tighter, warmer draw, and most the time the flavor is fantastic (when it changes for the worse, you know it's time to change the coil).

So, that's my experience so far.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 5- 15%- could be higher or lower depending on the flavor used.
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like - many of us believe PG to be a throat irritant.
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standard ratios in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG.

If your 100% VG juice is too thick it can be thinned out by adding a TINY amount of distilled water or PGA.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
As before stated, get the 1.8 or 1.5 ohm coil for the Pro Tank, it will hit much much better with your 3.7 battery. ( they do come stock with 2.4 and 2.5)
Smoke both of them for a while (week) and see if you still like the 16. Just saying..... I have a drawer full of 16's and replacement coils that I refuse to use. I use a clear light tobacco flavored juice and the juice will become very dark very quick with the 16.

To me, dripping is and may always be the best taste, but day to day, out and about and longevity I seem to prefer the Pro Tank although some think the taste may be muted a tad.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Depends on the juice and what number rinse I'm on :)

Sometimes the Protank will work really well. But I still really don't care for the mouthpiece of the draw. The flavor is all over the place sometimes. The same tankful will be really good, let it sit for a while, and then it's bad.

The iclears are more trouble free for me, since I know their quirks and they are predictable in that regards. I do prefer the tighter, warmer draw, and most the time the flavor is fantastic (when it changes for the worse, you know it's time to change the coil).

So, that's my experience so far.

A lot of truth is this too.... OK, I'm waffling here....

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
And I think you need a few more posts, but there are whole threads devoted to DIY mixology, which might be the next part of ECF for your investigations.

I know! We have been trying to post to get our number up...but we don't want to post useless threads...trying our best to "grow up" and hang with the big dogs LOL.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
Keep in mind that the iClear 16 is a dual coil clearo with around 1.8ohm resistance, whereas the Kanger evod/protank comes stock with a 2.5ohm coil unless specified otherwise.

In a normal unregulated (non vv) eGo, that naturally will give the iClear a very big advantage on hit over the evod, both due to the top coil being closer to your mouth, so warmer vapor, but also a stronger hit, due to the lesser resistance of the 1.8ohm coils. BTW, there are 1.8ohm evod coils available, and on a stock eGo battery, that may suit you better. On a variable voltage device, I prefer the higher resistance coils as they give me more play with voltage settings without burning. On a stock eGo battery however, sometimes the evods just come in a little on the "weak" side and would perform more to my liking with the 1.8ohm coils.

I use both iClear 16s (and 30s) as well as evods, and they each have their advantages/disadvantages. I prefer the evod, as less wick=cleaner flavor, but the iClear 16s perform nicely as well. Some flavors seem to taste better on the iClear, others with the evod.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I agree with you that BCC clearomizers like the Kanger EVOD do mute the flavor a bit. However, I sometimes get dry hits with the iClear 16's. The other negative aspect of the iClear 16's is they don't last very long for me. After a few fills, it seems like they crap out on me. Personally, I usually don't buy the iClears, they have only come with devices. However, with their disposable build quality, I wouldn't buy them outright. I mix between Kanger BCC's, Vivi Tanks, and RBA's. The BCC's seem to wick better with certain juices, but the ViVi's definitely give better flavor.

onuco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2013
Chicago IL
www.potionvape.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread