Variable Voltage and Low Ohm Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I think its just that they don't need to. Plenty of market for the (i assume less expensive to manufacture) present versions.

Also, tho, when you mix higher amp limitations with buyer's choice on batteries, your running a big risk. Something that has limits @ 2-3 amps isn't going to cause cheapo batteries to explode (very often).

Personally, I'd love to see that. Maybe a 10 amp limit.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
love the idea of the dna-20 chip set, been waiting for this for a while. but these so far have only been put together in a box mod. a tube mod version is coming out, I believe its called the cyborg, and before buying a reo I was on the waiting list for one of these mods. but now im not so sure I would buy it for I like the reo more and find a tube mod a little less attractive. I would however purchase a dna-20 reo for sure.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
So, with the builds I've been doing lately, I guess I'm at about 32 Watts . . . . .

(That's putting my .5Ω coil in the calculator @ 4 volts, to compensate/round. Even @ 3.8v, it's almost 29 watts)

I guess I would still prefer the freedom of a mech. and a good battery. (call me old-school)

I use my mechanical mostly so can relate in that respect but the OP posted "variable voltage and low ohm coils"

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I use my mechanical mostly so can relate in that respect but the OP posted "variable voltage and low ohm coils"

Which doesn't exist . . . . . . . so, . . . . . . . . . . I got half the topic? No?

I mean, someone mentioned the DNA20 going up to 20 watts, and I replied that 20 watts isn't enough. Perhaps I wasn't explicit, sorry.

rasci2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2009
Kissimmee, Fl
I mean, someone mentioned the DNA20 going up to 20 watts, and I replied that 20 watts isn't enough. Perhaps I wasn't explicit, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 20 watts is not enough. I don't think the DNA20 is the answer. What I would like to know is there an electrical reason why current VV Mods cannot use low ohm coils and why is there a wattage limitation.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The DC-DC converters used in the common VV and VW mods are mass produced for all sorts of things. They are usually amp-limited to 1.5 or 2.5 ampere.
Now there are two types: The ones that pump up the voltage first and then hack it down to the selected voltage (These are used in mods that use a single battery) or those that can just lower the voltage, but not boost it (Those are used in mods with stacking batteries).

The type with stacking batteries may be able to put out the 30 or so watts you crazy people want, but the chip would be larger. The reason for that is two fold: efficiency of the chip and size of the internal printed connectors.

Those circuits have about 90% efficiency, which means that there will be >3 watts heat (at 30 watts) heating up the tiny little chip. That is a lot. Then, imagine a tiny wee little silicone piece that needs to control 30 watts with a printed connection smaller than a hair.

Rob might be able to tell more, but the VV REO chip might actually be able to handle a sub ohm coil, but I am guessing it is amp limited (and thus resistance limited) to warn about shorted atomizers.

rasci2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2009
Kissimmee, Fl
The DC-DC converters used in the common VV and VW mods are mass produced for all sorts of things. They are usually amp-limited to 1.5 or 2.5 ampere.
Now there are two types: The ones that pump up the voltage first and then hack it down to the selected voltage (These are used in mods that use a single battery) or those that can just lower the voltage, but not boost it (Those are used in mods with stacking batteries).

The type with stacking batteries may be able to put out the 30 or so watts you crazy people want, but the chip would be larger. The reason for that is two fold: efficiency of the chip and size of the internal printed connectors.

Those circuits have about 90% efficiency, which means that there will be >3 watts heat (at 30 watts) heating up the tiny little chip. That is a lot. Then, imagine a tiny wee little silicone piece that needs to control 30 watts with a printed connection smaller than a hair.

Rob might be able to tell more, but the VV REO chip might actually be able to handle a sub ohm coil, but I am guessing it is amp limited (and thus resistance limited) to warn about shorted atomizers.

Great explanation. Thank you.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Which doesn't exist . . . . . . . so, . . . . . . . . . . I got half the topic? No?

I mean, someone mentioned the DNA20 going up to 20 watts, and I replied that 20 watts isn't enough. Perhaps I wasn't explicit, sorry.

for the most part I probably do vape over 20 watts with .7Ω being my average resistance, sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower, but I would still enjoy a 20 watt dna chip. it would be nice just to be able to get that constant voltage for a longer time. I know there is no real difference because all you have to do is just pop in a new battery and bobs your uncle, but I would still buy one if one were to happen in a reo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread