Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
buzzzlove:10136297 said:
This is something I have not considered and now very curious. Any good links explaining rebuilding protanks as i just got one.

youtube rebuild kanger bottom coil they are all pretty close so once you see how to do 1 you can do all of them.

Excellent!

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
microcoil + cotton! DO IT!
10 wrap microcoil ProTank.jpg

bikerbeagle

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Wichita, KS USA
I decided to try my hand at rebuilding protank coils today WHILE watching utube vids and following them to the letter - failed miserably, twice. I'm using .5mm ribbon kanthal and Ekowool. I'm guessing the coils are touching each other or the base, kept getting E1 errors on my Provari. I'm old, my eyesight isn't what it used to be and I can't really see the coils inside the base. As sad as it makes me to admit it, I need to get me one of those old people lighted magnifying set ups.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I decided to try my hand at rebuilding protank coils today WHILE watching utube vids and following them to the letter - failed miserably, twice. I'm using .5mm ribbon kanthal and Ekowool. I'm guessing the coils are touching each other or the base, kept getting E1 errors on my Provari. I'm old, my eyesight isn't what it used to be and I can't really see the coils inside the base. As sad as it makes me to admit it, I need to get me one of those old people lighted magnifying set ups.

Ive never herd of anyone using ribbon in a clearo not much room in there. But its cool you tried now I know not to thanks;-)

IMG_1065.jpg

My atty station Its a helping hands light magnifying glass. The atty stand is a 50 cent flea market cell phone window mount I drilled a 7/32 hole in it and threaded a ego adapter in.

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
I've actually built a couple that worked a few days ago... one ss mesh, which is a PITA to get the hotspots and shorts out and once it started heating evenly it meters at 3.8 ohms... not quite there yet. The other I wrapped a coil on a #4-40 machine screw, torched it on the screw, then removed the screw and wicked it with cotton and installed... tested at 2.2 ohms and worked great! I'm going to try more this weekend, now that I have a decent torch.

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
IT FLIPPING WORKED! Only one issue. It tastes horrible. I assume thats because i didnt torch the wick, right?

You know, I hadn't thunk of that... all the coils I've built with the silica I have taste kind of off... The sterile cotton ball wick straight out of the box with no boiling (I'm impatient, dammit!) tasted just fine.

JasonK94Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Olathe, KS, USA
I rebuilt a kanger Evod coil the other night. My first one! I followed the videos from vapingwithdave on YouTube. He's a member here?
Anyways, he uses a 4-40 machine screw as a guide for winding the coil. Comes out beautiful!! I also used 4 pieces of 1mm silica through it as he advised, and a couple of small pieces the same diameter for the flavor wicks (leak plugs lol). Works do much better. Tested out at 2.54 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I do almost all my microcoils with 30ga Kanthal A1 that I got from temco on ebay for about $10 for 100', usually 10 wraps gets me about 1.8Ω, I use cotton wicks... you can't clean them with a dry burn, but I bought a bag of sterile cotton balls for a couple bucks at CVS and go through MAYBE 1 of the 200 cotton balls every 2 weeks. cotton tastes fine to me, but honestly, the reason I use it most is because it's easy-peasy to thread a microcoil with it. I make them way too small to get any silica through the wraps. I find the first 4-8 draws to taste kinda funny, almost perfumy (it's not scented cotton, so not sure why), but that goes away and then it vapes like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread