gauge for micro coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
So I bought 30 ga with my grand. Working out ok. 7 wraps gives me around 1.8ohm but at 8W (3.8V measured at posts) just seems a little too cool. Ive got some 28ga comin so im hoping that makes a big difference. I did have a moment of nirvana this weekend when I adjusted to coil and rewicked, but now I feel that I'm chasing the dragon with 30ga

What gauge do you guys use?

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
So I bought 30 ga with my grand. Working out ok. 7 wraps gives me around 1.8ohm but at 8W (3.8V measured at posts) just seems a little too cool. Ive got some 28ga comin so im hoping that makes a big difference. I did have a moment of nirvana this weekend when I adjusted to coil and rewicked, but now I feel that I'm chasing the dragon with 30ga

What gauge do you guys use?

What I saw in the micro coil thread (might not be what's actually there) is 28g is most common. For me, when wrapping around a 1/16 drill bit, it gives the best width to fit between the posts on my single coil atty's. With dual coil setups, I use 34g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Went to my local B&M to get some 28ga. Of course the genny guys were there building their stuff and I was a little embarrassed to pull out my REO that wasnt hitting that well cause I didnt want it to look bad.

Long story short, I took 1 wrap off and it helped a ton. They were all blown away by the "squonk".

2 things they were trying to get me to do:

1.) A 2 wrap of 28ga like they had on their gennys

2.) Twisted wire (twisted tight with a drill).

I didnt let them, but of course, got me thinking. The 2 wrap thing didnt seem right to me because isnt the whole point to get more surface area of coil to wick?

And what about the twisted wire? Anyone tried that on an RM2?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
30 gauge and 10 wraps around a 16ga needle gives me right about 2 ohms. Every wrap is about .15 ohms at 16ga I believe. If I want to heat up the vape, I just leave off a wrap or two. 30 ga should get ya where ya need to be, but let me know how the other gauges work for ya. :)

If your using cotton, it may be they you have a bit too much in there. A pic would be helpful :)

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
30 gauge and 10 wraps around a 16ga needle gives me right about 2 ohms. Every wrap is about .15 ohms at 16ga I believe. If I want to heat up the vape, I just leave off a wrap or two. 30 ga should get ya where ya need to be, but let me know how the other gauges work for ya. :)

If your using cotton, it may be they you have a bit too much in there. A pic would be helpful :)

I think you might have been right about too much cotton. I cut a little off. I had about twice as much on the end folded over into the "bowl" prior to this pic. I'm at 1.2 ohm now. About to just scrap this coil but, hey, that's the fun of rebuildables right?

2013-07-22 22.51.43.jpg 2013-07-22 22.51.25.jpg

Come to think of it, after looking at these pics I just took, I see that I have one shiny coil on the right. Probably fubared it from screwing with it too much.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That cotton looks really thick to me, is it really that thick or do I make mine too thin? Myself I like about 6-7 wraps on 30g that gives me 1.5- 1.6 ohms. Anything cooler and I feel like it's a little too cool for my taste. But it really is subjective to what each of us prefers.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
My my, Stats, 24 Nichrome, huh? What . . . . is your exhaust pipe rattling? Dog getting out thru the chain-link?

One of these days, pdib.. one of these days. I'm gonna build a coil that when you see it you'll say "... dayum"

LOL

I just got the 24 for fun really. That stuff is really cheap and I'm thinking 24 might be good to play with if I want to do some monstrosity of a coil that would require a lot of length but where I still want to keep resistance low. Also.. I'm thinking it'll be good to play with some more "coil signage". I do plan to do some more artsy-fartsy coils but really don't want to have to stack batteries again to "light up the R"

Oh, and I do have some neat concrete picture frames I need to hang :p

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Cahdek, not too much cotton sticking out.. too much stuffed in the coil. If your flavors are muted try pulling that out and twisting up a tiny little strand, see how that does you.

I took this pic the other night to show someone how much cotton I use and what my wicks look like before I put them in the coil. Not that I am any kind of author-i-tah on the matter, this is just works well for me (and how!)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
One of these days, pdib.. one of these days. I'm gonna build a coil that when you see it you'll say "... dayum"

LOL

I just got the 24 for fun really. That stuff is really cheap and I'm thinking 24 might be good to play with if I want to do some monstrosity of a coil that would require a lot of length but where I still want to keep resistance low. Also.. I'm thinking it'll be good to play with some more "coil signage". I do plan to do some more artsy-fartsy coils but really don't want to have to stack batteries again to "light up the R"

Oh, and I do have some neat concrete picture frames I need to hang :p

I know you're joking, Stats; but I want to make it clear that you've built many coils that left me saying just that.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
↑ that there is a 4 on the VAP scale.

edit: naw, hard to say, looks like you don't put in more than you use. I start with something much longer, but not much more dense.

I do still trim off a bit from each end. Seeing pics of all these coils can be misleading, they are so incredibly tiny (that.. is most certainly NOT what "she" said)

I know you're joking, Stats; but I want to make it clear that you've built many coils that left me saying just that.

I.. wasn't :blink: but wow, that's quite nice to hear, from the dibster! :)

Your coil madness has very often been a benchmark for me to emulate and learn from.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I want to become a reonaut simply because you guys are so damn funny.

Can I just lurk in the reo forum because you are good people?

Josh, by all means do :). And get yourself one first chance you get. The vape is so ridiculously good it'll make ya laugh :)

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Statistic:10176008 said:
Cahdek, not too much cotton sticking out.. too much stuffed in the coil. If your flavors are muted try pulling that out and twisting up a tiny little strand, see how that does you.

I took this pic the other night to show someone how much cotton I use and what my wicks look like before I put them in the coil. Not that I am any kind of author-i-tah on the matter, this is just works well for me (and how!)

Thanks stat! Ive started with a little pinner but it was too loose in the coil. This onw I had to twist and twist to get it to fit and it was a good fit tight. I'll try splitting the difference to see how that does.

Come on vaping nirvana. ... I've reached you once and I'll find you again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread