Can someone recommend a good pg/vg ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
Im new to vaping, and about to order some juices from mtbakervapor. I am clueless as to what ratio i should be choosing. Ive read that most of their products come 80/20 , but some reviews i have read said 50/50 is the best.

I was a 1 PAD smoker of marlboro menthol lights for 12 years so i do want flavour / vapor and i want throat hit. What should i be buying?

Ive only tried 6mg nicotine in my juices so far, would 12mg make a difference?

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Yup... whatever you like :)
Seriously though... it really is what ever you like. I have some 50/50s I love, and some I hate.. have some 20/80's and 80/20... order samples... pretend it's a buffet out there.

Get a good vendor like Vape Dudes or MBV that will make what ever you want, and get the same flavor in small bottles at different mixes to see what you like. Nic MG also make a difference. A lot depends on then vendor and the flavor what mix works well.

Post what you liked from a vendor, others that liked that same flavor from the same vendor might help guide you in other things you might like. Just like you will help guide others. The main thing is have fun.

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
illitirit:10182018 said:
Im new to vaping, and about to order some juices from mtbakervapor. I am clueless as to what ratio i should be choosing. Ive read that most of their products come 80/20 , but some reviews i have read said 50/50 is the best.

I was a 1 PAD smoker of marlboro menthol lights for 12 years so i do want flavour / vapor and i want throat hit. What should i be buying?

Ive only tried 6mg nicotine in my juices so far, would 12mg make a difference?

50/50 is probably your best bet. MBV flavors tend to be chemically or perfumey, and I think their default 80/20 mix contributes to that. 50/50 or something close to that is a little more common. The higher VG will add a touch of sweetness which go easier on the palate.
For a Marlboro Menthol smoker, you gotta try Minnesota Menthol at 12mg from Vermillion River! Perfect blend of tobacco and smooth menthol.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I think everything I've tried with banana in it has had throat hit. Get extra shots. I think everything I've tried with pineapple has had throat hit. again, extra shots. 24 mg is best for throat hit and feeding the beast. French nhale up over the lip into nose more nic is absorbed. A lot more than in the mouth. Almost none in the lungs but throat hit is important to me never the less.
Stick to 70/30 75-25 or 60/40 pg/ VG mixes until you've vaped longer and see what's working for what you want. It's true...if you're not making your own you best take notes on what you ordered how for awhile. Try a sweet vape without the added sweet stuff. Try the same with the added sweet stuff. Which has throat hit still? ( if it did before) of course I didn't do it this way! Ha ha. Nope. But if I had it to do over again and my personality changed I would have done it more scientifically because it's not a casual thing. Vape juice is scientific recipe bound. I don't recipes either! I will some day but I just dove in. It's easy and then it's not. So learn what your liking, revisit the ones you didn't like a few times before giving up on them due to changes in both palate and your e juice during storage. That's plenty for now.

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
amished.wordpress.com
I think what juice delivery device you're using plays a factor in what ratio you chose. Also, What are you vaping now? Not knowing those things, I'd say 50/50 @ 12mg is worth a try. A lot of MBV's juices come perfumey due to the fact that they are mixed to order. If it has that perfume taste, steep it and it should be fine.

popcornplaya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Salt Lake City, Ut
The best thing about MBV is it is so freeking cheap. You can find a flavor you like in theory or having tried elsewhere and order from MVB in 6 different ratio's and still not pay as much as some other juices for one bottle. I'm not saying MVB has the best juice on the planet but if your new and trying to try different ratio's and flavors then they are the best. Funny thing about juices also. I am a identical twin. My favorite juice right now is Afternoon delight, 18mg, 50/50 from MVB. He doesn't like it. He likes a Pear from local B&M I don't like that one. So find a place you can afford and order a ton of juice. You will learn real quick what you like. Then give away the ones you don't like or sell them in the co-op

popcornplaya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Salt Lake City, Ut
I think what juice delivery device you're using plays a factor in what ratio you chose. Also, What are you vaping now? Not knowing those things, I'd say 50/50 @ 12mg is worth a try. A lot of MBV's juices come perfumey due to the fact that they are mixed to order. If it has that perfume taste, steep it and it should be fine.

I have found this to be super true. I have tried Clearomizers, Cartomizers(My ADV), Genisis style and dripping. This 10$ RDA Smoktech octopus thing blows everything out of the water for flavor and TH.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I gave up on picking my own mix for now. I eat out a lot and I want tasty dinner on a plate put in front of me. Likewise, if i buy a vendor's juice, I want juice that tastes good and performs well without having to tell them how to make it.

Playing around with different percentages from different vendors is a losing proposition. Same with steeping. When I buy a wheel of cheese, I expect it to taste good as is. I don't want to age it myself.

My advice for a newer vapor (or an old salt that doesn't have patience to screw around with "tastes like crap" juice out of the mailbox), start with "lab juice" from large, well established vendors. Try what they sell the way they sell it. You will really like some and hate others. Some will encrust your coils with a cocoon of burnt crud in a single tank and some will wick into next month. Buy more of the stuff you like that performs well. Much easier to stick with it and quit cigarettes if you're not fighting a juice that won't wick a whole tank or needs two months before it tastes better than manure.

Once you got that down, you can start to DIY and have 87 half bottles of miscellaneous mixtures that are "almost" just right -- only another 207 iterations to get one bottle that really tastes right.

In sum -- don't chase the dragon. At least not at first, lol.

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
.....you gotta try Minnesota Menthol at 12mg from Vermillion River! Perfect blend of tobacco and smooth menthol.

I completely agree with you on Minnesota Menthol! Perfect blend..not too harsh and not too much menthol. I was just at the B&M the other day an picked some more up :) I tried (a bunch of their stuff) but the Kentucky Applewood Blend there is another pretty balanced juice. Think I'm going for that next.

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
Mad Scientist:10183841 said:
I gave up on picking my own mix for now. I eat out a lot and I want tasty dinner on a plate put in front of me. Likewise, if i buy a vendor's juice, I want juice that tastes good and performs well without having to tell them how to make it.

Playing around with different percentages from different vendors is a losing proposition. Same with steeping. When I buy a wheel of cheese, I expect it to taste good as is. I don't want to age it myself.

My advice for a newer vapor (or an old salt that doesn't have patience to screw around with "tastes like crap" juice out of the mailbox), start with "lab juice" from large, well established vendors. Try what they sell the way they sell it. You will really like some and hate others. Some will encrust your coils with a cocoon of burnt crud in a single tank and some will wick into next month. Buy more of the stuff you like that performs well. Much easier to stick with it and quit cigarettes if you're not fighting a juice that won't wick a whole tank or needs two months before it tastes better than manure.

Once you got that down, you can start to DIY and have 87 half bottles of miscellaneous mixtures that are "almost" just right -- only another 207 iterations to get one bottle that really tastes right.

In sum -- don't chase the dragon. At least not at first, lol.

Outstanding answer! Truth!

waylonjessi4ever

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
Well ...no comment but I disagree .I started with what you refer to as "lab juice " and it is nite and day from a quality juice that is made fresh and needs to steep .But for the sake of the original posters question ,i will not argue here .Just start with 80/20 and small sample sizes or multi packs and then see how it goes .Does your equipment matter ? yes ,but you can mess with that later ..some juices perform and taste better at say 70/30 ...the rest is personal taste ,as much as juice taste ( or food ) so i give you the mantra here which is : taste is subjective .
When you find your sweet spot then go on ahead and order 30 ml bottles ,dont stress ,have fun !

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I DYI my juice, and mix it to a 60/40 ratio. I have found that I get a good flavor vs vapor balance there. Most vendors mostly sell mixes that are 70/30. Perhaps that saves them on flavoring cost, I don't know. My mixes usually are between 15- 25% total flavor concentration, depending on what I'm making. But it ultimately comes down to personal preference. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread