Dry Hits With Kanger Protank

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Hot4d

Jul 26, 2013
Phenix City
first let me start by saying hi, thanks in advance and im sorry if this is covered a million times. i exclusively use kanger tanks on my Telsa mod and they have been flawless until yesterday. i noticed that one of my protanks was leaking ( its new) and upon further investigating found out it was where the glass has apparently cam unglued. i returned it to my local shop and they said it happens and Kanger has started making the tank with a new sleeve. he gladly swapped it out with a "updated" model. so i filled it up, reinstalled my old head that was already wet ( and recently replaced) and after the first toot or 2 off the new tank it tasted "dry". so naturally i replaced it with a new replacement head. same results. it just seems odd that i have never had this with any of my new protanks except with this one that has the new bottom sleeve. i have flipped and or removed the silicone gasket and it really doesn't change the performance. like i said im using a Telsa and 7.5 watts and the wick is at 2.6 ohms. thanks for any help!!

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
I have had a similar problem before, I found that the 2 flavor wicks that sit on top of the coil were seated right, must have done it after cleaning. I found that they should be laying side by side on top of the coil, if they're on top of each other, i find that the coil gets flooded and leaks occur. also, i have found that if you replace the (2) 1mm wicks with one 2mm wick, i get much better vapor and is easier to clean. I try to replace that flavor wick everytime i change falvors or clean the tank.

edit: got sidetracked and forgot your question...ugh, anyway, in your case, i guess your using the new protank 2, idk if it has the flavor wicks on top of the coil, but if they're like the old one, maybe remove one of the wicks..

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
As previously mentioned, I'd try removing one flavor wick. To do that, take off the post, you will probably need to wiggle it gently with pliers. Once that is off, you will see the flavor wicks laying on top of the coil. Remove one and put the post back on. Fluff if the remaining wicks that are left to make sure the little square slot that the wicks sit in is blocked by the wicks. If there is empty space in that little slot the juice will go into it and you'll get leaking and gurgling. Make sure you put the little silicone flange thing back on the post. Then reassemble the tank. That should help with the dry hits. Some people remove the silicone flange on the post and say this helps. I haven't tried that yet (not on purpose at least, though I have forgotten it a few times and get leaking).

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I also vape a 50/50 mix, but haven't had the opportunity to try one of the new Protanks or Protank/Evod heads.

To remove one of the flavor wicks, remove the top silicon seal and carefully remove the stem (it'll take some doing and I generally use needle nose pliers to remove it). Carefully remove one of the flavor wicks and then put the stem back on (make sure it's in all the way) and then put the silicon seal back on. See if that helps out.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
You would think that a dry hit couldn't happen to wicks totally immersed in liquid sitting at the bottom of a tank. I've tried everything to fix this (wrapping my own coils) and have yet to be successful... I still get dry hits every so often. My only solution is to stop using the Protank. To be fair, it's not just the dry hits, but also the constant metallic taste out of the Protank that turns me off. My Protank has been retired!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Dry hit:
Poor wicking
Wicks packed to tight
To much Heat/voltage
Loose coil around wick

E-liquid mix can Vary by maker. some 50/50 is as thick as 20/80 - pg/vg

Removing a flavor wick Can help on initial use, but may cause flooding on a low tank. 1/4 tank or less.
Flipping the silicone gasket only helps IF the gasket is pinching the wicks.(NO Magic Here)

Try replacing a flavor wick with a small piece of rolled cotton from a cotton ball
Cotton wicks much faster and holds more liquid

Been using Evod tanks and I see that both Protank and Evod use the same coil heads now. Really, no dry hits at all, the Evod works great and so do the coil heads right out of the blister packs with no tinkering, just screw them in. But it does need to be kept at least a third or more full or it gurgles. Has not leaked yet. Waiting for the Protank 2 to get some reviews, or I may go with another glass brand that also uses these Kanger heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread